How best to spend £13.93 to live for a week?

Options

Comments

• ivfmummy
    ivfmummy Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    I agree Chia, porridge is great for sustaining you blood sugar through the morning until lunch.
  • h007
    h007 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kavajo wrote: »
    I would agree with porridge for breakfast, very filling and value / basics oats are very cheap.

For lunch I would go with instant noodles, though you need 2 packs at a time. The value / basics are around 9p a pack.

For dinner, you need those 4p curry sauce tins and a big bag of rice. The sauce is very tasty and the rice will fill you up.

This way you could do the lot for about £2.50!!!
    I went to get some of those infamous 4p curry tins but put them back straight away after seeing how much sugar and fat was in them!!!

I wish I could eat porridge without heaving but I cant stand the texture :o
  • Kavajo
    Kavajo Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    h007 wrote: »
    I went to get some of those infamous 4p curry tins but put them back straight away after seeing how much sugar and fat was in them!!!

I wish I could eat porridge without heaving but I cant stand the texture :o

Actually the curry sauce isn't bad at all. The Tesco one has only 4g of fat per 100g. Compare this to a Patak's Korma sauce, which has 14.8g. Both add sugar as an ingredient: Tesco has 3.6g / Patak's 6.7g. There are no dodgy ingredients in either, and both taste good. So just choose whether you want an 'authentic' Indian curry, or to eat for 4p. I reckon there's a time a place for both...
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    h007 wrote: »

As has been said, there is not that much fat and sugar in them. I'm also surprised you don't mention the price increase. You go for a 4p tin of curry and don't mention they have gone up to 18p.

They went up to 9p a while ago, but now they are 18p per tin, a big jump from 4p.
  • Kavajo
    Kavajo Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    You're right about the price, it keeps changing. Last time I bought a load was a few weeks ago, shopping online. The price was shown as 4p when I ordered but 19p when it was delivered. Customer services did a refund no problem though.

The whole dynamic pricing thing is a way for the supermarkets to make it harder for us to know how much a product should cost. I reckon they'll be on 4p again at some point, when they do, stock up!
  • GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    9p own brand noodles!! they are a lifesaver.. lol
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • GemJar_2
    GemJar_2 Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    Also, just incase you haven't seen this before http://www.studentrecipes.com/ - you can put what ingredients you have in your frige and it'll come up with recipies for you, or what you need to buy to make a meal within one or two items. Some fantasitc ideas on there :) has helped me out of a few sticky spots
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Kavajo wrote: »
    You're right about the price, it keeps changing. Last time I bought a load was a few weeks ago, shopping online. The price was shown as 4p when I ordered but 19p when it was delivered. Customer services did a refund no problem though.

The whole dynamic pricing thing is a way for the supermarkets to make it harder for us to know how much a product should cost. I reckon they'll be on 4p again at some point, when they do, stock up!

They seem to change the price of this by the week!! Last Friday it was something like 5p but today it was 18p again!! :think:
  • mippy
    mippy Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a veg stall near you? I had a 'pound a scoop' one. I bought garlic, courgettes, aubergines, sweet potatoes and sliced them up with a bit of olive oil and roasted them. Though if you have no olive oil it'll be pretty tricky for your budget - use some veg oil and spices.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I discovered a great recipe the other day, it uses chicken but could be just as good without.

Fry an onion for a couple of mins then add a handful of defrosted frozen veg (I used peas and sweetcorn) and cook for another minute or two.

Add some pre-cooked rice and combine.

Make a well in the middle and scramble an egg. Once cooked stir the egg into the rice and cook until rice is golden (flip so you do both sides.)

Serve with a bag of Tesco 25p prawn crackers with dipping sauce if you have it.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure