How best to spend £13.93 to live for a week?

Options

Comments

• blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, the OP has been paid but others might be reading this thread who need the same help. Tesco have Value frozen lasagne for 21p.
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Well said Mothership. I hit the thanks buttons there for you and it said to remove it????? Is there a fault today? Anyway thank you :)
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • MrsB2100
    MrsB2100 Posts: 793 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have also been reading this thread with great interest ... I'm now in the same position, but am learning to bake my own bread, I have the slow cooker on for stews and a freezer full of home made dinners and bargain buys. Also, I've made use of as many MOC's I can lay my hands on (and that are accepted). I'm still learning, but I know that I'll get there in the end! And it's also great to see the support from the other posters here!
    I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be gloomy, when the sun shines out your bum? :D
  • slowandsteady_2
    Options
    Margaret54 wrote: »
    Well said Mothership. I hit the thanks buttons there for you and it said to remove it????? Is there a fault today? Anyway thank you :)

I think it now gives you the option to remove the thanks you have given someone, if you change your mind!
  • supermonkey
    supermonkey Posts: 758 Forumite
    Options
    An interesting read.

To be honest, £14 for 1 person for a week seems plenty to me. Don't get me wrong, I like to have some nice meals, but it can be done cheaply. There are 3 of us and we usually eat for about £2 a day (total not individual).

I dont generally price up meals exactly like some though!
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    An interesting read.

To be honest, £14 for 1 person for a week seems plenty to me. Don't get me wrong, I like to have some nice meals, but it can be done cheaply. There are 3 of us and we usually eat for about £2 a day (total not individual).

Not sure i'd like that, but i guess over time your taste gets used to it.

Back to my usual shop now, which is far too high, so planning on reducing that. Also making sure i have plenty of stock of things like rice, pasta, noodles.
  • Home_Alone_2
    Home_Alone_2 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    An interesting read.

That amount may be ok for just food, but often other household goods have to be bought, ie loo rolls, washing up liquid, toiletries etc. I think if someone is on a very tight food budget they should also take a multivitamin and mineral supplement and also a fibre supplement because if the diet is not balanced their health and energy levels will probably suffer.
  • Kavajo
    Kavajo Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would agree with porridge for breakfast, very filling and value / basics oats are very cheap.

For lunch I would go with instant noodles, though you need 2 packs at a time. The value / basics are around 9p a pack.

For dinner, you need those 4p curry sauce tins and a big bag of rice. The sauce is very tasty and the rice will fill you up.

This way you could do the lot for about £2.50!!!
  • patsywatsy
    Options
    I agree with the comments to yellowspider, if you aint got something constructive & helpful to say, shut-up.
    c m seems you have got through the worst, and you have had some great help & advice from your on-line buddies, take care:A
  • Chia
    Chia Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Well done to everyone for the great suggestions. Can I just implore the OP and anyone else who does this to reconsider eating pain au chocolat or nougat pillows for breakfast, though? It's a very poor choice for your first meal of the day for so many reasons, including:

- Refined flour / glycemic index issues. Your digestive enzymes will get straight to the carbs, releasing them very quickly. This means a glucose spike and then a come-down, which is not good for your energy levels or overall health.
    - Sugar! Contributes to the above effect.
    - You'll have burned through that white flour and sugar so fast that you'll need more fuel and will feel like eating more (such as more unhealthy stuff, for example) to get through the day than if you'd had a healthier breakfast to include protein and whole grains.

For a while I used to have a croissant spread with generic Nutella for breakfast and once I learned more about nutrition, I realised why I feel so much better now that I have something like bran flakes or eggs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure