Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oops I’ve been awol for a while, not sure why really except it’s been busy lately but then that’s no excuse! I think the shift in priorities with the mortgage (from mostly all mortgage op to more or less 50/50 mortgage and travel budget) has distracted me a bit.
    Our plan was really to clear the mortgage , give up work and dh do less hours and we start seeing the world. However I think the pandemic changed how I felt about that, I feel like I don’t want to let any more time pass by not getting started on it, which is a total shift in the way I’ve always felt about this mf challenge over the years. Currently I’m still not working except for helping dh with some private jobs he gets alongside his main job (I’ve asked him to stop but he loves it and won’t 😆) so I’m basically a 1950’s housewife right now 😁

I’m not sure what will happen in the future but I’m quite happy like this right now and was suffering from a lot of anxiety (like many) during lockdown and had not really seen how bad I had I got until now, but things are slotting back into place. 

I shall do a financial update today, with a cuppa and hopefully this will be the start of my rejoining the mfw world again properly 😬 as for a personal update, we are currently a house of three and about to be five when ds2 and fiancée move back soon, oh and her 11 rats , many mice, 2 budgies and 2 finches. 😂 Oh and potentially an 8 year old dog 😱 as her sister is moving out of home and can’t take the dog and she is not sure dad will want her 🤦🏼‍♀️ She is a cutie but it’s likely they will be here very long term! 

The party (dd and fiancée) went well, and so did mums 70th in York the weekend just gone, dad paid for the whole family and we got to stay in the posh hotel near the flat 😁 lots of meals out including a very nice one in the ivy there which I’ve never been to before. 

I’m currently on WW again, started this week so did a massive shop in tesc@ yesterday and blew a huge chunk of this months budget 😱 got to give it a go as I’ve put on half a stone this year after staying the same all last year. Ive also done my first exercise class in years on Monday (dancing to 70s hits) which actually didn’t kill me, so I’ve rebooked for next week 😁 

2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hey NG, good to see you! Glad you're beginning to feel better too.

The impending menagerie sounds like rather a lot to cope with! The celebrations sound good though :smile:

I'm sure you'll find your MFW mojo when you sit down with a cuppa - it's good (and necessary) to take a break from time to time.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The fact that it hasn't killed me is the only thing which keeps me going with exercise 🤣! That and knowing I've done it before, so I should be able to do it again - ie "Come on SC, you ran that far last time" 🙄 Dancing to 70s music sounds great fun though!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HOW MANY ANIMALS?!  :D sounds like you're going to hav fun.

I like hearing from you and look forward to hearing how things are going with you but you should not feel you need to apologise for not posting. Glad you are starting to feel better.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi guys 😬 thanks for the comments and popping by, it’s been busy here again this week, ds2 and fiancée are now back and ds1 decided to finally make the move from his small room to dds now vacated big room, so it’s been messy chaos here. I also started clearing one drawer in my bathroom today which has snowballed into a massive bedroom clear out with many many bags to sell/recycle/ take to the tip. I’ve done 20k steps both today and yesterday just fussing around, I’m exhausted! 

Lost 2lb on WW this week, thank goodness or I would have quit I think, doing exercise and dieting had better pay off and quick 😆  I also have somewhere VERY exciting to go 😬 dd has bought me (and her) a ticket to the Harry Potter studio’s for their Xmas sit down dinner, tour and disco 😱 it was a surprise which I spoilt by chatting randomly about how much I hate surprises so she told me early 😂 I am beside myself with excitement and we are going full on floor length gowns with a slytherin theme if anyone’s interested 😆 I’ve tried to pay for my ticket as it’s a little pricey but she’s refusing as she wants to thank us for helping with the wedding, I think she’s taking dh out another night.  

Finances have not even been looked at still which is not great, hopefully tomorrow will be the day to rectify that 😁

2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow, that sounds like a fantastic night out NG, right up your street!

Well done with the 2lbs off too. I’m hoping upping my walking will help with losing the few lockdown pounds I gained - my Fitbit certainly seems to think willing burns a lot of calories!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,121 Forumite
    Options
    I do love a good decluttering session, it feels so productive. Trying the slow and steady approach here but we are getting there. 

How thoughtful off dd, that's the perfect event for you! 

Any Halloween plans? Do you usually do a party? 
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • newgirly
    edited 16 October 2021 at 6:05PM
    Options
    I’m walking less than I was during lockdown Vix, I’m sure that’s not helped putting weight on, how many steps do you aim for? 

Hi Cath, hope you are well 🙂 no parties anymore here really, well maybe little family ones sometimes but probably not this year, perhaps some spooky food and a film if there’s extras other than dh and I. What are you up this year? 

Very lazy day today, dh has gone to work and I have been watching tv all day (shhh don’t tell anyone 😆) just finished the new series of “you” on Netflix, it only came out yesterday which shows just how shockingly lazy I have been 😱

Finances half way through being jiggled about and I’ve noticed that I missed my usual three months until the end of the year challenge date, so as of Monday it’s 75 days left this year which will have to do so thinking cap on for what the challenge could be! 
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    75 days 😮! This year has flown!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,121 Forumite
    Options
    I do love a mini challenge!

No party plans here, although my children are younger than yours we are sadly past the fun exciting stages!!  Might stretch to making and decorating some Halloween cookies and watching a film. 
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback