🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,959 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy New Year New Girly!

Your plans sound somewhat stretching... it was all ok in my mind until you got onto the 20 things on top of all the money saving! :eek: Good luck! :D That being said, ebaying is your friend, as you know!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Octobergirl
    Options
    I’m liking your to do list newgirly..... I shall come back and get motivated when I start feeling despondent about mine:)
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You are right there vix, very stretching! I promise to update monthly on the full list though in the hope I might do some of it :rotfl:

Hi octobergirl, good luck with the list but I’m not sure I’m the best bet for motivation :o
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Gosh it’s much busier than usual on the mf board lately, that must be a good thing :)

No spend day today, a lazy day bar a few hours cleaning. Have watched the new Dracula which I loved along with dd. Made a homemade low cal pizza with nan bread - my cheaper version of the m&s extra thin one I used to like buying when on a diet, but my version is a lot cheaper :money:

So with the 20 things in 2020 in mind this weeks pledges are:

- monthly date with dh, get this out of the way nice and early :rotfl: I’m thinking cinema as it’s such a ridiculously frugal month and we both have unlimited cards. Along side, drum roll......a coffee in the garden centre :rotfl:

- growing edibles, already bought a pot of basil at mr t yesterday and have not killed it yet :o if getting coffee at the garden centre will have a mooch about for ideas nice and early.

- eat low cal and track on Mfp again, 1500 calls a day, have already put the brakes on the chocolate/mince pie / biscuit eating fest today.

- investigate free you tube videos for at home fitness suitable for a lazy unfit 44 year old (that are not the shred, I’ve done that and I’m never doing it again).

That’s enough for this week I think :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Just applied for hsb@ accounts for dh and I, looks like dh is accepted so fingers crossed £175 bonus and I’m hoping to be offered a different one which hopefully a £75 bonus. Have switched the hali accounts that we currently feed through as only minimal monthly bonus’ through those now.

Going to take the bags of clothes to the cash place today, then taking mum for a coffee and hopefully getting some of the four birthday presents needed for January.

£6 overpaid - rounding down then flooring budget to a neat figure!
  • newgirly
    Options
    On a roll today! We have also now applied for a new cc, currently I use my nationw@de one that gives about £25 cashback a year (on my previously too high spending :o) so I’ve gone for a tesc@ one that offers club card points but more importantly offers 24 months 0% on purchases.

Strangely we have been given a huge £14 k limit, which is good because the plan is to do all my £560 pm grocery/petrol etc. spending on it and just pay the minimum every month for two years. The money that would have paid it in full will be stashed away in the offset to reduce interest payments on the mortgage for two years (stoozing basically) and then withdrawn and paid in full in two years.

This should create a £293.70 saving I believe (bar the minimum payment element savings), not a massive amount for the hassle but money saving is my new part time job :D

But of food and medicine spending in £1land today but still under budget :)
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I would love to switch my bills account for rewards. (Un)fortunately DHs wages get paid into my account. I don't want that to be compromised and him having his wages paid to him … That's my cost for keeping hold of my control issues :o His erm difficulties with bank accounts should be over by now.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi mfd’s, I’ve not switched the main account but had two current accounts in each of our names with just 2x direct debits on each set up (actually one has one and a £1 standing order to myself!) they were opened for the monthly bonus and it’s those I’m switching.

Could be worth opening in the future just so you can switch, you don’t usually need to pay wages in just feed through a minimum amount pm. :)
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi MFD's, newgirly is right, just set up an account with a bank that's not offering any incentives at the moment (Martin keeps a list on the main site), transfer a couple of direct debits and standing orders to fund it (whatever the bank you want to switch to is asking for) and then you're ready to switch away. You don't need to have had the account for any length of time to be able to switch it. Keep an eye on the offers and be prepared for a LOT of post that will make your head spin, but it's an easy way to make money. I think I got about £560 when I did it a few years ago, you could get double if you and DH both do it

Sorry for the hijack NG!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,959 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You sound like you’re really on it NG!

Re fitness stuff, we’ve just started using the Adidas app - it has a variety of workouts and is all free. Think the one we’re doing is called 3 weeks to fit - I can’t see that we’ll be there in three weeks but at least it’s doable- I hate it when the basic level is unachievable!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure