Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• feelingfestive
    Options
    The to be the bearer of bad news but a remark is unlikely to get the grades moved up. In my experience in teaching and getting stuff remarked it is VERY rare that results will be changed, especially up - they seem far happier to go down though!
    I'm so sorry DD didn't get the results she wanted but there are plenty of options. There should be career advisers in school today (there are here) or get on the net, there's lots of advice.

xx
    Saving to sort the house fund! 10000/20000

Wedding Fund! £1000/4000

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments, she is a bit calmer now. She is very lucky to have a guaranteed place at a great (ofsted outstanding) college , but the course will be btec instead of a levels, she can still study the same subjects except English. The college did say that they would bend slightly on results as she had such a good recommendation from her head teacher so there may be a possibility to do maybe one a level. She has a meeting next week with the college tutor to discuss what courses she will do.

Anyway, we have had pizza and a lot of chocolate whilst snuggling on the sofa watching harry potter, and I also splashed out and bought something I had been contemplating but resisting for a while. Harry potter studio tour tickets for Xmas eve. We did go last year but really wanted to go again, so that has cheered her up a lot, has not pleased my cc though :o
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Glad things are a bit more positive and she an almost do what she wants to.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • newgirly
    Options
    Slightly happier household today :) dd is out with friends for coffee at the moment, ds1 at work for the day with dh desperate to earn money for a game he wants, and ds2 lazing around watching doctor who.

It's our anniversary today so I have splashed out on a toblerone for dh :D we have cards and even money from parents, so may well go out for dinner tonight.

I have also bought tickets to see a theatre show at the cinema , It's benedict cumberbatch in Frankenstein. Really wanted to see it but until now could only find it On at the O2 for £17 each, but this morning found it a local cinema for £10 a ticket for the posh seats :beer:

Off again as I am cleaning out under my bed "shudder" how many pairs of shoes is it possible to fit under a bed ?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    What a washout weekend :( feel very sorry for those away in this country for the bank holiday weekend.

We had a lovely curry out last night and I got a bunch of flowers and a candle :D

I decided that rather than go to thorpe park this weekend which had been one idea to do a roast and invite my parents over tomorrow, so went to ald* to use some extra cas dh gave me towards it.

I have been in denial how good it is there! I can't use my cc so have been shopping in mr t for a while now but I just have to go back to ald* its so much cheaper.

I will need to get ahead by a month as the cc obviously gets paid in arrears, but it just seems crazy to it shop there when its so close by.
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Ald1 will be doing their £5 off a £40 spend this Thursday so keep an eye out :)
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • newgirly
    edited 25 August 2013 at 7:26AM
    Options
    Thanks pink poppy, I forgot all about that :D
  • southerndave
    Options
    Sorry to hear about grades. Forget how much trauma youngsters go through. Me, I didn't give a fig about exams as had a job to go to (luckily) when I left school way back when, but many's a time I regret not taking them more seriously. Chin up, you generally find life throws good things with bad...perhaps the different through college will be better. Good luck!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Thanks southern dave :)

Wow I have overspent a bit in the last few days :o last weeks meal planning was great until we got to the weekend and invited family for dinner , plus I bought a few bits in primarni when I took dd out shopping Saturday (pj's and fluffy footsies naturally :D) plus coffee , plus tickets for the cinema in November.

Anyway overspend + keeping £330 cash to pay for food in aldi = no money to put towards loft this month :eek:

Switching to Aldi is a pain as I can't use a cc in there , so need to find a months grocery money up front. To be honest I have not added up the grocery spends for a few months now, I shop online at mr t , plus top up shops as and when. Thought I'd start with £330 pm as I do seem to have a lot in the freezer at the moment, plus now the dog is on crazily expensive prescription food that's not included in the budget, so its is 5 and 2 cats.

Op made the last few days just 10p a day again.
  • newgirly
    Options
    After doing some more money shuffling today I spotted that one of the halifax reward accounts only has one direct debit coming out from it, so have transferred one over so I can start receiving the £5 a month reward again.

Also I have finally updated by ancient mobile, it was my mums old one about 4 yrs ago so is about quite old now. I have been reluctant in the past as I was on a sim only contract for £5 a month, but have managed to negotiate a £6.46 a month deal with a new free modern phone , not sure which one it was but was listed on the virgin website as £13 a month, so not a bad discount.

Off to do leftover chicken and jacket spuds for my lot for lunch, so still have not left their rooms as they are glued to their xboxes :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback