🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

BT Caller Display (BT Privacy) No longer Free

Options
If you have a BT line, but route all calls via CPS or via an access code, and no chargeable calls go via BT, then from 1st October BT will charge you £1.75 per month for caller display.

The solution is to make 2 chargeable calls every month to prevent this, (around 11p in total).

BT have hidden this in the small print on their new terms and conditions, and I'm quite sure a few people will get caught out.

PS: BT now round up to the nearest minute for chargeable calls, no longer per second billing.

Comments

• BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I noticed this the other day, in fairness they did say last year you needed to make 'some' calls to qualify for free CLID, it's just now they are policing it.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you post a link to the terms and conditions that mention this. I have been searching for 15 minutes and BT's website is not playing ball

Thanks
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats a blow, I'm with Talk Talk, anyone remember the dialling code to route the call via BT?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • cpu
    cpu Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Thinks it's 1280??
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    Yes its 1280 and its only useful if you have CPS your calls from BT to another supplier.No point in using it if you have moved your line rental from BT.

Their has always been a minimum number of calls you needed to send via BT to get FREE Caller Display.They are merely making it more clearer in their T&C.Whether they intend to police it who knows.

Basically if you send two evening & weekend 01/02 calls a month via BT.Cost 11p your covered.

Or you could put your E&W calls to 0845/0870 numbers via BT(if you make any) as they are the cheapest anyway.

"Revised BT Privacy Terms and conditions
    BT Privacy helps stop unwanted sales calls by registering you with the Telephone Preference Service and giving you BT Caller Display at no extra charge.
    From 1st October 2006, customers who do not make some chargeable calls with BT will be charged for BT Caller Display.
    Customers with other call providers can still benefit from BT Caller Display at no extra cost if the following calls are made. Customers who bill monthly must make at least two chargeable calls with BT in that month, otherwise BT reserves the right to charge £1.75 a month for BT Caller Display. Customers who bill every three months must make at least six chargeable calls within those three months, otherwise BT reserves the right to charge £5.25 a quarter.
    If you do not currently make calls with BT and would like to start making your calls with us again, please call 0800 121 8088. Alternatively, if you would like to make one-off calls that are chargeable to your BT bill then simply dial the numbers 1280 before you dial the phone number you wish to call.
    Caller Display requires a compatible phone, (available at BT Shop online), a BT line and caller display equipment. Numbers will not be displayed if the call is from payphones, some switchboards, non-BT networks or where a caller's number is withheld."
  • rock_and_roll_star
    Options
    Hi mobilegossip,

Coming off the subject a wee bit; why differentiate between E&W calls and calls to any other parts of the UK? I always thought we had a UK (incl NI) -wide telephone system? Confused.

Cheers,
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I barely make any calls at all but only use BT for calls. I will not be pleased if they charge me thinking I use another company for calls!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • grade15
    grade15 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    if you do have caller ID display..but now want to cancel it, how do you cancel it?
    smile everyday...cos its free :)
    Live everyday to the Full..cos there is no tomorrow:dance:
  • mobilegossip
    Options
    Hi mobilegossip,

Coming off the subject a wee bit; why differentiate between E&W calls and calls to any other parts of the UK? I always thought we had a UK (incl NI) -wide telephone system? Confused.

Cheers,

By E&W Calls i mean Evening and Weekend Calls. Where do i suggest these calls are restricted to a particular part of the UK .?
  • mobilegossip
    Options
    I barely make any calls at all but only use BT for calls. I will not be pleased if they charge me thinking I use another company for calls!

Why on earth would they do that if they are your sole provider.?:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family