SF's keeping on the straight and narrow!

Options
slowlyfading
slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 10 April 2010 at 6:35PM in Debt free diaries
I thought it was about time I started a diary for myself, as the upcoming months are going to be tight money wise, and I need to get more serious about savings at the same time.
A bit about me: I’m 23, currently at university doing a PGCE which finishes in June and I have a job lined up to start in September, which is really good :D much better than most of my course mates at this stage! My budget, for now, consists of myself during the week and my BF who comes up every weekend :)

I have a few aims/challenges for myself to complete within the next year or so, which I will outline in the next post :)
This is mainly so I can keep a daily track on my spending and general financial direction. Feel free to join me!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE

Comments

• slowlyfading
    edited 13 November 2011 at 11:43AM
    Options
    AIMS/CHALLENGES.
    These are things I wish to achieve by the summer of 2012 hopefully :) I’ll probably add more to this as time goes on!
    BY JUNE – Moving out funds £542.33/£700
    House Deposit savings: £8881.76/£15000
    [Emergency savings: £3.50/£5000]
    Wedding Savings: £2694.78/£5000
    Lose 25lbs – 10/25lbs
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
  • slowlyfading
    edited 10 April 2010 at 7:12PM
    Options
    SOA:
    Bursary - £1000
    Other - £200
    Total Income: £1200
    Outgoings:
    Rent & Fees - £708.00
    Phone Bill - £25
    Contact Lenses - £18
    Savings SO - £50
    Petrol - £120
    Food - £100
    Total Outgoings: £1021
    A few notes on this – my phone bill is a contract, and is due to run out in September. This is paid every month by DD as are the contact lenses. The savings goes to my ISA (I know this isn’t that much, but better than nothing!) The petrol is an pretty accurate estimate I think – this is due to travelling to my placement school which is a 30 minute drive there and another 30 minute drive back and this isn’t negotiable :( The food is also about accurate, and I know with some better planning this could be reduced.
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hurrah for having a job to go to in September - that is a huge thing not to have to worry about!

I am sure, with a bit of the old DFW focus, you can bump up your surplus quite nicely :D
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Thanks Hypno!

The main thing for me to focus on at the moment is getting my MOVING OUT budget moving - I've made a good start, but the more I can get, the better. I'm hopefully moving in with the BF and he's saving as well, because the HUGE snag is that I get the last of my bursary at the beginning of June and don't get paid then til the end of Sept :eek:
  • slowlyfading
    edited 2 June 2010 at 7:22PM
    Options
    Morning!

I'm up bright and early today :) not planning on doing much - I'm away at the moment so sunbathing on the balcony is how exciting its gonna get today :D Think I might go shopping later, but we'll see how I feel later on.

Things to do today:
    - check banking
    - eat lunch at apartment - left over pizza and salad - yum!
    - Have a NSD?
    - Look whats in the cupboards for tea.
    - Sunbathe! :D
    Will pop in later for an update :) I just saw the SATC 2 trailer - SO excited! :D It looks amazing! :o
  • skaps
    skaps Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with all your targets. Ive subscribed so will be checking in to see how you are doing.
    MFW 2016 No 68 £1300/£8500 No new toiletries Cook sth different
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Thanks skaps! It's nice to have some support whilst plodding along :)
  • skaps
    skaps Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    Options
    Im a teacher too - remember the days of placements which were the best but so much hard work. Well done on the job.
    MFW 2016 No 68 £1300/£8500 No new toiletries Cook sth different
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    skaps, didnt realise you were a teacher! primary or secondary?

Well, I've not done much today :o which was the plan, but still! Didn't include a nap on the sofa :o We're going out to a big shopping mall with lots of restaurants for tea - so my NSD may be out of the window - we shall see :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck on your course and good luck with your diary.

I don't know about the quality at your school but any chance you could have a cheap school meal and then just a snack at home? It might help cut back on your food spends in the week. It's good your BF is saving, but does he contribute to the food bill? I feel a spending diary coming on and a meal plan. That's a way forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure