PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lidl Bifinett breadmaker - any recipes that work?

Options

Comments

• therealdocmartin
    Options
    I came across this thread today and it made for some interesting reading. As there seem to be a few different models of bread machine sold by LIDL I thought I'd share my experiences with the KH1170 (single rectangular mould with 2 paddles).

I bought the KH1170 on impulse 2 years ago and it continues to work perfectly. I make bread once a week for my packed lunches (I'll never go back to Supermarket bread again!).

I've tried several batches of breadmixes and have almost always had good results. I always use the standard programme setting (programme 1, small loaf, dark setting) and have never tried using the timer function. For the lukewarm water I turn the hot tap on and once it feels warm on my hand (but not painfully hot) I meaure off the required amount. I've had a couple of disasters - a few lopsided loaves and 1 brick. Possible causes : I used the wrong setting once (large loaf), climate conditions - very cold or very humid, seem to affect the results.

LIDL MIXES : I've tried all the Landgut mixes : Ciabatta (nice italian style white bread), multigrain, sunflower seed, rustic whole grain and farmhouse (all different types of mainly rye bread). I love continental style rye breads that have good texture and are firm and chewy and not too soft and floury. These breadmixes deliver the goods! I dont find them too salty at all. They are perfect for sandwiches especially cold meats and mustard or cheese and pickle!

TESCO MIXES : The WRIGHTS Parmesan & Sundried Tomato, Garlic & Rosemary Foccacia, Cheese & Onion are all wonderful. Comes in 500 g packs so use 1 at a time. Perfect results on programme 1, small loaf, medium or dark setting. The TESCO Crusty white farmhouse and crusty wholemeal worked ok but were a bit bland and boring. Tasted too much like supermarket bread for me!

IKEA MIXES : I've recently tried the LINGONBROD mix. Makes a very nice rye bread with lingonberries. Pack of 1 kg with 2 sachets of yeast. Worked perfectly.

LAKELAND MIXES : I've tried the Australian LAUCKE German Grain bread mix. Got a good result but its quite expensive!. All the above mixes cost between 50p-80p for 500g and the LAUCKE mix is over a pound for 600g. It came in a box of six so I got pretty sick of it by the end. I prefer buying two or three different mixes and alternating every week.

So all in all I've found the machine to work wonderfully well despite 2 years of fairly heavy use. I havent tried any of the recipes and have stuck to breadmixes though. Perhaps its time to start getting more adventurous.

Problems : The manual has a few "quirks", largely to do with occasional problems in translating. I speak German so I havent found it too hard to figure out however just in case you were wondering EL (Tablespoon), TL (tea spoon), Stck (Pieces) Std (Hours). The recipe booklet also talks about dry sourdough which I havent seen over here (in the UK) although it is available from my local german deli. Other people have asked about flour and numbers - this may refer to german flour types (type 1150, 405, 550) which arent available here. Normal strong white flour should do the trick. If you really want the real thing germandeli.co.uk has the goods.

Tips and Tricks : I've found that substituting the water for beer (pour the required amount into a container and micorwave until lukewarm) works well. It improves the rise and adds flavour. I've also added grated cheese or grated salami or sliced olives or mustard to the mixes with good effect. If your local LIDL doesnt stock the bread mixes (check all the aisles because it is in different places in different stores) try another store. Most of the ones I've been too have them.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
  • tigergold
    tigergold Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    Well done "therealdocmartin" what a fab post, much more informative than my guess measurements. I made a loaf this morning, i put grated chesse in for the first time so hope it comes out ok. Some excellant tips in there doc which i am sure we will all find useful. I was thinking of using beer, was going to use the really cheap beer they sell in basics ranges in supermarkets. And I to will never buy supermarket bread either.
  • therealdocmartin
    Options
    Thanks!

I've found cheap beer works fine, although using a decent beer means that you have the advantage of being able to drink the unused amount! :beer:
    (I've even used alcohol free beer - which worked too).

ITO the above discussion about paddles coming off: the manual says this may happen during kneading if the mixture is too dry (it recommends adding more liquids). I find that the more I've used my machine the less likely the paddles are going to come off when I'm trying to get the bread out after the baking is finished. So I havent had this problem at all.
  • The_Hitman_Fan
    Options
    Wonderful Breadmaking Recipe:

(1) Add 295ml of warm water to your breadmaker tin.

(2) Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

(3) Add 1 teaspoon of salt.

(4) Add 1 teaspoon of demerara sugar or honey.

(5) Add 2 - 3 tablespoons of fresh or dried basil.

(6) Add 14 sliced green olives.

(7) Add 3 tablespoons of tomato pasata or any blended tomatoes or tomato puree.

(8) Add 575g of Hovis Premium Strong White Flour to the tin. Make sure the flour covers all the liquid so you can only see white flour. Level it out with a spoon.

NB: Hovis Premium Flour (Green Bag) is an essential ingredient! Hovis high grade flours make wonderful premium loaves. :) It' s £1.95 for a 3kg bag.

(If you want to use a cheaper flour because you are on a tight budget I recommend Sainsburys Strong White Flour (48p) or Nelstrops Strong White Flour).

Your loaves wont rise as much or taste as good but will be perfectly acceptable.

(9) Add 1 packet of dried yeast (Allinsons or Hovis).
    Sprinkle the yeast liberally over the flattened layer of white flour.

(10) Place the breadmaking tin into your breadmaker and set it on a 2lb or approx 1kg weight bread cycle. The crust setting set to medium or high. Your breadmaker should take around 3hrs and 20mins to complete the bread.

NB: Hovis Premium Strong White Flour will produce a beautiful large loaf.

The tomatoes will give the bread a lovely light orange colour.

My loaves rise to 20cm's in a Russell Hobbs breadmaker!

If your loaves dont rise as much pay careful attention to the quantities of water and flour added. Its very important to get the quantities right. Also watch the water temperature prior to adding ingredients into the tin (there is an optimum water temperature to make good bread).

If your loaves dont rise as much as you'd like add a little vinegar.

Manually programming your breadmaker to allow more time for the dough to rise during the breadmaking cycle will help. The dough will rise more if the yeast is given more time to work! 4hrs to make bread is better than 3hrs!

Now everyone will be able to make wonderful bread. ;)

If you can beat this recipe please list your recipes below.
    Im looking to find the best recipe to bake the best bread.

Now supermarket bread will make you go Uggggh and you will eat wonderfully healthy bread thats absolutely gorgeous with baked beans or welsh rarebit!
  • HomingPigeon
    Options
    therealdocmartin - When you tried the Tesco 500g mix, crusty white farmhouse, how much water did you use please?
  • tigergold
    tigergold Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    therealdocmartin - When you tried the Tesco 500g mix, crusty white farmhouse, how much water did you use please?

not used that particular one but from my other experiences - 300ml
  • HomingPigeon
    Options
    Thanks for that.
  • therealdocmartin
    Options
    It was 350ml if I remember correctly. There were breadmaker instructions on the packet....
    Good luck!
  • HomingPigeon
    Options
    Thanks for reply, therealdocmartin.
  • IVY9
    IVY9 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    9 fluid ounces of water +1 pound strong white bread flour +2 tablespoons of dried milk powder
    =1 and half teaspoons of salt+2 teaspoons of caster sugar+1 ounce of butter and 1 and half teaspoons of dried yeast make on number one for a basic loaf its light and a lovely taste trust me you will love it you can also use this recipe for your cobs bread rolls etc try it and let me know how you get on
    davini-prosky@hotmail.co.uk:j :eek:

Please could you help me with my new breadmaker? I've bought the £20 Bifinett breadmaker from Lidl and am now wondering if it was a waste of money !! Does anyone else have this machine? Have you found a recipe that works? I've made 3 loaves so far and all have turned out awful. For the first two I followed the recipes in the leaflet that came with the machine, for the third I followed a recipe off this thread. I've done one white loaf and two brown. The yeast is quite new. The bread either doesn't rise or comes out too spongy. I'm so disappointed!

The recipes that are in the machine leaflet all seem to involve eggs, or complicated ingredients like Rye flour or groats! I just want a simple loaf!
    It also gives confusing instructions, for example there is a french bread programme and the recipes for it all ask for butter, but later in the booklet it says that the French programme is not suitable for recipes requiring butter. I am wondering if the booklet has been badly translated or something. Also, the recipes in the book are all in metric but the sizes of loaves you can do are 1.5, 2, or 2.5lb. So its quite hard for me to work out which size loaf I am making!! :confused:

I've been reading through all the breakmaker threads and there is lots of useful info, so thanks for that, but I still can't make a good loaf!

Have I bought a dud??? I'm going to have one more go this weekend I think.
    Thanks in advance,[/quote]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport