We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help with a new Mattress.

13

Comments

  • fluffbrain
    fluffbrain Posts: 40 Forumite
    Hi Tim (& all the other helpful bed people),
    Sorry to jump onto this thread but we are getting desperate for a new double mattress & I really need to know where to start. I’m 3 mths pregnant & getting serious back ache – not that this state of affair will continue so we need something for the future too!!
    The specifics are – Standard double size to fit on a c1930’s wooden frame base with head & foot board on which we have replaced the spring support frame thing with wooden slats. We turn/rotate or current mattress every few months and want to continue to do so. We don’t want memory foam (too hot & squishy) and prefer a firmer style (I like to sleep on the bed rather than in it – if you understand what I mean!) We don’t mind adding a topper for softness (have one currently) My hubby is about 5 stone heavier than me & we don’t want to roll together and he feels he get’s very hot at night where as I feel the opposite! Is c£500 a reasonable budget and what would we be best looking for – we can spend more if it makes a BIG difference - up to a point. (being mse!)
    I hope this is all the info you need and look forward to your expert advice – some Google search criteria would help too – based on previous posters comments of trying to find suppliers!
    Thanks in advance.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    fluffbrain wrote: »
    Hi Tim (& all the other helpful bed people),
    Sorry to jump onto this thread but we are getting desperate for a new double mattress & I really need to know where to start. I’m 3 mths pregnant & getting serious back ache – not that this state of affair will continue so we need something for the future too!!
    The specifics are – Standard double size to fit on a c1930’s wooden frame base with head & foot board on which we have replaced the spring support frame thing with wooden slats. We turn/rotate or current mattress every few months and want to continue to do so. We don’t want memory foam (too hot & squishy) and prefer a firmer style (I like to sleep on the bed rather than in it – if you understand what I mean!) We don’t mind adding a topper for softness (have one currently) My hubby is about 5 stone heavier than me & we don’t want to roll together and he feels he get’s very hot at night where as I feel the opposite! Is c£500 a reasonable budget and what would we be best looking for – we can spend more if it makes a BIG difference - up to a point. (being mse!)
    I hope this is all the info you need and look forward to your expert advice – some Google search criteria would help too – based on previous posters comments of trying to find suppliers!
    Thanks in advance.


    From what you have said I would advise a top of the range firm open coil sprung mattress. You should be able to get one of these for under £200 (delivered).

    If I were you I would stay away from big brand names and big chain stores if you want good quality at a low price, and shop on line from a seller who gives a proper satisfaction guarantee that allows you to actually unpack and sleep on the mattress. This way it is in their interest to make sure that you make the right choice the first time.
  • fluffbrain
    fluffbrain Posts: 40 Forumite
    Thanks for your prompt reply Tim,

    Just a couple of questions - sorry if I'm being a bit dim!

    Just wondering what you base your recommendation on so I can investigate those areas in more depth i.e. what’s the benefit of open coil over pocket sprung? I would have expected pocket sprung to offer more support for back ache but that's just a guess! I bow to your superior knowledge!

    Also your guide price seems awfully low - or have we been deceived by the likes of Sleepmaster on the price ranges to expect to pay!
    We don’t mind paying 3 times your guide price to get a good suitable mattress - good value doesn’t have to mean cheap!
    However if this is what you feel we should spend then good on you!

    I have found 2 suppliers offering 100% satisfaction - 1 in Biggleswade & 1 in Baldock - Am I googling the right sort of suppliers?!!

    And finally - is there any way to try before I buy? I find it hard to envisage buying a bed I haven’t even lay down on and would prefer to try at least something similar to that available on-line before ordering - am I bonkers!?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    fluffbrain wrote: »
    Thanks for your prompt reply Tim,

    Just a couple of questions - sorry if I'm being a bit dim!

    Just wondering what you base your recommendation on so I can investigate those areas in more depth i.e. what’s the benefit of open coil over pocket sprung? I would have expected pocket sprung to offer more support for back ache but that's just a guess! I bow to your superior knowledge!

    Also your guide price seems awfully low - or have we been deceived by the likes of Sleepmaster on the price ranges to expect to pay!
    We don’t mind paying 3 times your guide price to get a good suitable mattress - good value doesn’t have to mean cheap!
    However if this is what you feel we should spend then good on you!

    I have found 2 suppliers offering 100% satisfaction - 1 in Biggleswade & 1 in Baldock - Am I googling the right sort of suppliers?!!

    And finally - is there any way to try before I buy? I find it hard to envisage buying a bed I haven’t even lay down on and would prefer to try at least something similar to that available on-line before ordering - am I bonkers!?

    Pocket springs do give better support, but you said that you prefer to lay on a mattress rather than in it. With pocket springs they contour to your body, so you do sink into it more than you would with open coil springs.

    Open coil sprung mattresses are far cheaper than pocket springs to produce. But yes Sleepmasters like many of the big retailers are very expensive.

    Read the terms and conditions for the retailers you have found, and make sure that you can unpack and sleep on the mattress, as many retailers say they give a satisfaction guarantee, but only comply with distance selling regs, which don't allow you to use the mattress.
  • fluffbrain
    fluffbrain Posts: 40 Forumite
    I think I might give both a try & see how they feel in comparison. At least the choice is narrowed down to 2 types - thanks!
    With either type are we better going for firmer style with a topper or steer clear of toppers?
    The mattress emporium T&C's seem to be ok in respect of using the bed & returning it. Is there anyway "stumble" over who you work for as I know you can't recommend?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    fluffbrain wrote: »
    I think I might give both a try & see how they feel in comparison. At least the choice is narrowed down to 2 types - thanks!
    With either type are we better going for firmer style with a topper or steer clear of toppers?
    The mattress emporium T&C's seem to be ok in respect of using the bed & returning it. Is there anyway "stumble" over who you work for as I know you can't recommend?

    I would try the mattress out first before you get a topper. But then get one if you feel you need to.

    I'm afraid I can't give anything away, sorry.
  • fluffbrain
    fluffbrain Posts: 40 Forumite
    Ok, thanks for all your help & advice.
    I'll do some research over the next couple of weeks and then maybe post some options to see what you think, if you dont mind?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    fluffbrain wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for all your help & advice.
    I'll do some research over the next couple of weeks and then maybe post some options to see what you think, if you dont mind?

    Yes that's fine by me.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    fluffbrain wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for all your help & advice.
    I'll do some research over the next couple of weeks and then maybe post some options to see what you think, if you dont mind?
    It'll probably be worthwhile starting up your own thread when you do that. :)
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    ct1976 wrote: »
    I would have thought so, however i never had any issues with my 2 orders so didnt need to look into that

    I've had a read through their T&C's and they don't. All they do is comply with distance selling regs.

    Lucky you were happy with your orders.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.