Weezl and friends Phase 2 -giving it a whirl for Shirl! Testing meal plan for a month

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    thanks frankie :)

Gosh, you are a good varied cook. My DH looked at the planner and said it had loads of variety compared to our usual fare! :rotfl:

Orange flim flam recipe
    posted to the usual place :)

Arty-sorry another one for indexation!

Bit worried about you having to fork out for all this kitchen gear :(

Feel bad for people spending their cash on all this, feels a bit contra the ethos of MSE :money:

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    Options
    its an investment into gadgets that will last a very long time anyway so should have them for future uses.
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    weezllol, I try to alternate the carb in the evening meal or at the very least how it's served.
    Also the type of meat, though I have been trying lately to do a veggie evening meal every other day.

It was the chicken every sunday and pastry 2 days in a row that I thought I'd swap around so my DH wouldn't notice.

What I'm starting to notice is that we could spend less on food if we wanted to and that we easily use food as a treat rather than something that gives us energy.
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi,
    I have decided to be a tester because I want to try to reduce my food bills further. We are already quite a frugal household and don't buy branded goods, ready meals or take aways.

I also believe that many more families could reduce their food bills with a bit more guidance.Testing the plan will make it more accessible to families who may not want to risk making changes without proof that it can be done.

Everything in our household is home cooked but I am pretty sure it is possible to spend less than our £200 per month on food for five adults without compromising on health or flavour and without anyone going hungry..

There is me, DH and DSs x 3 eating here. All are adults and have hearty appetites.

I haven't started my batch cooking today as we needed to go out . Over thewekend I made three loaves of bread to get me started. AND DH has eaten some of the cheese. He had cheese on toast! Real life again!!

yesterday I made Lesley's pea soup. I doubled the quantities and it fed six yesterday and tow more lunches today. I didn't have any mint but we had some mint sauce in the fridge so I ut two small tspfuls into it and the family said it was tasty, like mushy peas, but we think that was because of the vinegar in the mint sauce.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    Oh weezlie no worries:D-I'm going to be moving in with mr artybear soon so would have to get the stuff anyway. Just not had some stuff as I've always lived with loads of people so we combined utensils and some things I did have seemed to leave when they did, coincidence I think not.

Hunger wise-the only thing I'v wondered is if lunch would be filling enough but we shall soon see:eek::)

xxx
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2010 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Lunches:
    Walnut spread
    300g walnuts
    80g pumpkin seeds
    20g sugar
    160ml veg oil
    heaped teaspoon garam masala

Method Pulverise the nuts, sugar, spice and seeds in your food processor until finely chopped.
    Then drizzle in a thin stream of oil, until you've achieved a loose-ish consistency like the one in the image.
    Serve 10g per piece of bread/toast and have 2-3 slices per breakfast depending on your energy needs. Make once in the month if you are following our meal planner.
    Store in a large sterilised jam jar or two, or freeze until required. Keeps for 5 days in the refrigerator.

Houmus
    300g dry weight chick peas cooked as per packet instructions
    200ml oil
    15ml balsamic vinegar (you can substitute lemon if you have any, in equal measure)
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    salt and pepper, (about a level teaspoon of salt is required, but adjust to your taste)
    1/4 tsp chilli (optional)

Method Place all the ingredients except oil in a food processor, then gradually add the oil whilst pulsing the food processor until you have achieved a loose runny consistency a bit like natural yoghurt or double cream.
    Make once in the month- serve 100g per person per meal, with 4 slices of toast. The houmous can be frozen.

Rice Salad
    200g rice
    150g swede, cubed and roasted
    75g frozen parsnip, roasted
    50g green peas
    50g onion, sliced as finely as your knife allows
    dessertspoon balsamic vinegar
    35 ml vegetable oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Method Cook rice as per packet instructions, then add all the other ingredients, which will cool it down to room temperature (especially the frozen peas). Taste and adjust seasoning.

Bean pate
    1 can baked beans
    half a teaspoon chilli powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    1 dessertspoon lemon juice
    100ml oil
    one leftover end bit of homemade bread (approx 46g) broken into breadcrumbs
    2 pinches salt and 2 pinches ground black pepper

Method Put all ingredients together (except the oil) in a saucepan and simmer for around 10 mins or until the beans are ready to fall apart under the gentle pressure of your potato masher, or a fork.
    Mash up the pate. Leave to cool. Add the oil and remash/mix.
    You can make this in your food processor too, less mashing!
    Store in a bowl, covered with cling film or a plastic tub with a lid, in the fridge, for up to 4 days.
    Make twice in the month, if following option one or once if following option 2 - allow 25 g per person per meal.

Tomato Houmus
    200g dry weight chick peas cooked as per packet instructions
    135ml oil
    50g tomato puree
    10ml balsamic vinegar
    salt and pepper
    1/4 tsp chilli

Method Place all the ingredients except oil in a food processor, then gradually add the oil whilst pulsing the food processor until you have achieved a loose runny consistency a bit like natural yoghurt or double cream.
    Make once in the month- serve 10g per person per meal, can be frozen.

Olive tapenade
    100g olives
    100g potato
    110 ml vegetable oil
    half teaspoon garlic powder
    300g onion diced

Method Boil and drain the potato.
    Fry onion in a small amount of the oil until just softened.
    Combine all the ingredients in your food processor and pulse until you have a smooth pate.
    Serve with 2 slices per person of homemade bread to 15g tapenade.
    If you are following our planner you will need to make one batch of this in the month.

Onion houmus
    100g dry weight chick peas cooked as per packet instructions
    50ml oil
    100g onion chopped very finely
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    salt and pepper
    1/4 tsp chilli
    10g sugar

Method Place onion on baking sheet.
    Mix vinegar and sugar together and drizzle over the onions.
    Turn onion over with hands until covered.
    Bake at the bottom of the oven (underneath something else you are cooking) until softened and browned turning over occasionally (at 200C this takes about 30 minutes)
    Place the chick peas, garlic, chilli and seasonings in a food processor, then gradually add the oil whilst pulsing the food processor until you have achieved a loose runny consistency a bit like natural yoghurt or double cream. Stir the roasted onions and their juices through your finished houmous.
    Make once in the month- serve 10g per person per meal, can be frozen.

Red lentil pate
    160g (dry weight) red lentils
    160g onion- finely chopped
    tspn garlic
    2 teaspoons marmite/yeast extract
    500ml boiling water
    120 ml veg oil
    dessertspoon of balsamic vinegar

Method Rinse lentils under the cold tap until the water runs clear (swoosh them around in the pan in cold water a couple of times, changing the water each time) Drain and place in a medium saucepan with the onion and garlic.
    Add 2 tsp marmite to 500ml boiling water and stir to dissolve.
    Pour over the lentils, cover and simmer until the water has been absorbed and the lentils have softened (the mixture will look quite dry at this point) Remove lid and leave to cool.
    Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon whilst slowly pouring the vinegar and then the oil into the mixture.

Green pea soup
    100g onion
    428g peas
    20ml vegetable oil
    45g self raising flour
    30g creamed coconut
    20g red lentils
    4 teaspoons marmite/yeast extract dissolved in a mug of hot water
    salt & pepper to taste

Method Fry the chopped onions and lentils in the oil.
    Gradually add the marmity stock and 1 litre more water mixing all the time to form a smooth paste, then a smooth liquid.
    Then add the peas and coconut and blitz in a food processor, liquidizer or with a stick blender, the peas will cook sufficiently in the heat of the stock, but you may need to re warm the soup before stirring.

Cloddies
    1 heaped teaspoon garlic powder
    105g onion, finely chopped
    55ml vegetable oil
    150g swede, grated
    220g self raising flour
    approx 90 ml water
    1 heaped teaspoon garam masala
    1 heaped teaspoon mustard powder
    salt & pepper to taste
    oil to fry

Method Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir the mixture together to form a dropping consistency.
    Allow to stand for a few minutes. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan, and on a low heat cook tablespoon sized splats of your mix.
    Makes 16 small patties. Make once in the month.

Vegetable soup
    510g onion
    130g peas
    290g carrot
    50ml vegetable oil
    250g potato
    50g swede
    approx. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    salt & pepper to taste

Method Chop all the vegetables (except peas) into small cubes.
    Fry the chopped onions in the oil, adding in the other chopped veg when they have softened. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
    Gradually add 500ml water and your seasonings and cook with a lid on the pan for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are easily speared with a knife. You may need to add more water to achieve the desired texture. (You are aiming for a thick soup)
    Then add the peas and blitz in a food processor, liquidizer or with a stick blender.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Allegra I would find that really helpful.
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Allegra-I was looking for the equipment list for ages earlier!!

xxxxxxxx
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    allegra-top tastic list :) Between us all we have all the right skills to make this work, that is sooooo what I should have put in post 2 :rotfl:

arty- sneakily getting that in eh? Moving in together awwww, how smashing :beer:

I forgot to say:

I am weezl, and me, mr weezl and DS1 will be following the plan as far as we can, but sometimes slightly ahead while I quickly cobble together a recipe! DS1 will eat little quantities without salt, and I will raise the fat content for him as appropriate for his age. He will also be drinking whole cows milk every day. I will also need to eat slightly off plan as I had a slight haemorrage during labour so have low iron levels and will therefore eat things to boost that and my calcium a bit :)

Why I am doing this: All of my usual rantings about hidden poverty in the uk, plus I can't not join in a bit because I've made you do it!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport