Hhheeeellllllllllpppppp!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Redman30
    Redman30 Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    No, it wasn't "kicked" off or stamped in any way by the kids, that would have been a deliberate act. Big one was chasing the 6 year old who ran into it and it was knocked down the step. As it's a "no shoes indoors" house she'd have had one very painful foot if she'd have deliberately kicked it.

At the moment DS's getting the blame for leaving it in a stupid place, but like a lot of men he doesn't think!

Fair enough, but on a pressurised container you'd be suprised how small an impact on a flexible side-wall will force a lid off. I wasn't suggesting it was deliberate by the way, but more caught on the way past.

With regard to your lad getting the blame, well that's what us blokes are for eh ;)
  • laurz121
    laurz121 Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Paint tins are strange animals. You can drop them from 20 foot onto concrete (yes I have) and the lid wont come off but another time you can do exactly as the OP did and knock it over from no height and paint goes everywhere.

As Redman said you'd be surprised how little you need to tap them on the side for them to open. Do a little experiment with a can of pop/beer. Drink the contents (that's the fun part) then stand the can up and stand on it. It will easily take your weight. Get someone to give the side of the can the slightest little touch and it'll be as flat as a pancake. That's not really the same thing but I just thought i'd share it :)

I wouldn't say it is necessarily a faulty tin if the lid came off so easily, it really is just a case of being unlucky. You don't know how many times the lid has been off before in the shop you bought it from or even your son or somebody opening it at home to look at the colour.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Redman30 wrote: »
    With regard to your lad getting the blame, well that's what us blokes are for eh ;)
    Ah, I do like a man who knows his place ;) :rotfl: .
    laurz121 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it is necessarily a faulty tin if the lid came off so easily, it really is just a case of being unlucky. You don't know how many times the lid has been off before in the shop you bought it from or even your son or somebody opening it at home to look at the colour.

Definitely hadn't been opened in the home and it's unlikely to have been opened in the shop, how many people open a tin of paint then change their mind, not like buying a pair of shoes! I can just imagine going into any shop selling paint and saying "Can you just open this tin for me, I want to have a look at the colour" then saying "No thanks, it's not quite what I thought". I think the answer would be to politely (or not!) go away :rotfl: .

No, definitely unlucky, just a fluke and DS's calmed down now, the insurance company are sending someone out to have a look.

What's got to him now though is his is a genuine accident and he has to decide whether it's worth paying the excess and the possible increase in premium, whereas his friend broke his glasses recently and claimed on his insurance by telling them he was up a ladder in the lounge, fell off, knocked the TV over and broke both the TV and his glasses as a consequence. Their insurance company didn't follow up with any checks and has sent them a voucher for Comet or Currys (?) for a new TV and are also paying to replace the specs. Makes you wonder doesn't it! At least I can be proud that I've brought my DS up to honest.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You will find you will need to declare the incident to future insurers for a period of five years depending on how they ask their question on claims as quite a few ask for you to declare incidents whether or not you eventually claimed.

It can effect on the premium even if you don't eventually claim
  • laurz121
    laurz121 Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely hadn't been opened in the home and it's unlikely to have been opened in the shop, how many people open a tin of paint then change their mind, not like buying a pair of shoes! I can just imagine going into any shop selling paint and saying "Can you just open this tin for me, I want to have a look at the colour" then saying "No thanks, it's not quite what I thought". I think the answer would be to politely (or not!) go away :rotfl:

Like I said, you'd be surprised. I worked at one of those big places with orange aprons both on the paint department and on their nightcrew and you would definetly be surprised. Customers open tins of paint more often than you'd imagine, just look around the tester pot areas at all the stray paint and you'll see how much they like to have a little play with the paint.
    Then theres the cases where tins have been dropped and the lid popped off but nothings come out. We'd have that happen a couple of times a week on average when putting them away after theyve been delivered to store.
    But the biggest and main problem in my opinion was that stock was delivered to stores in cages and was often literally just thrown in there. If a paint delivery came in and there wasnt any tins without lids or without lids open slightly then we were very lucky.

So yes tins do get opened before you buy them and the vast majority of the time the lids are pushed back on properly but as you'll know yourself once theyve been removed they can sometimes easily come back off again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure