Hhheeeellllllllllpppppp!!!

Options

Comments

• iamcornholio
    iamcornholio Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    Of course I'm not for one moment sugesting fraud was involved -oh no!

I think insurers pay out more money for carpet/suites/TV's damaged by spilt paint, and bathroom suites chipped by falling paint pots, than they do for storm and flood damage.

It's also very odd how the damaged items are nearly always a few years old - in fact at such an age when people may think of replacing them in any case.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March 2010 at 10:45PM
    Options
    27col wrote: »
    Any paint can that I have been involved with was always difficult to open. Even the cans mixed in the shop are replaced using small spring clips to hold the lid on.

We've always found lids aren't easy to get off. I've just been speaking to DS. The tin of paint was on the carpet in the hall. There is one step down to the door of the WC. It was knocked down this one step (he'd left it there by the step), landed in front of the WC and the lid came off. There was a 14 year old chasing a 6 year old, DS was in the house at the time. The kids were being silly and, as it sometimes does, an accident happened. He's going to ring the insurance company tomorrow, he has accidental cover so it will be interesting to see what they say.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    just paint the whole carpet.
    Get some gorm.
  • Plasterer
    Plasterer Posts: 819 Forumite
    Options
    ormus wrote: »
    just paint the whole carpet.

Then carpet the ceiling.... Nice!!!!!
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Insurance never ocurred to me. I've been paying for home insurance since I left home in 1984 and only ever had one claim, when a storm blew a few tiles off my roof in 1999. The grand sum of £125.00.

I have a cracked toilet systern in my downstairs lavvy that happened when my cat (not normally allowed in but some doofus left the door open) knocked a vase off the window sill onto the toilet. It didn't look bad enough for me to think of claiming on my insurance.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • dannyjebb
    dannyjebb Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks for all the replies. our insurance excess is 75 quid and would only cost about 90 quid for the carpet and I know people who will fit it for free. Bit fo a pain though but ah well!! lesson learnt!!!
  • Paul_the_Painter
    Options
    Been away for a week or so, and just catching up. Don't think too much about cost on the carpet at this stage, as the insurance company (if you've got cover) will replace the Hall, Stairs and Landing, fitting at around £4.50/m2 carpet, at a min of £7.00/m2 (probably more), minimum carpet needed is around 14m2 as you're doing a hall. That's a minimum of £160. If it's a decent carpet you can double that. A lot of insurance companies will settle for about 10-20% under that, so after your excess you get a cheque for £70, or £250 if it's decent carpet.

Just a thought.

With regards to the paint lid coming off, I've had lids come off very easily, and lids that feel almost welded on. If you look at the tin, there will be something along the lines of "transport upright etc.etc." Basically treat the tin as though the lid was just resting on there, bottom line, they won't pay because the lid popped off.
    Unless it is damaged or discontinued - ignore any discount of over 25%
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been away for a week or so, and just catching up. Don't think too much about cost on the carpet at this stage, as the insurance company (if you've got cover) will replace the Hall, Stairs and Landing, fitting at around £4.50/m2 carpet, at a min of £7.00/m2 (probably more), minimum carpet needed is around 14m2 as you're doing a hall. That's a minimum of £160. If it's a decent carpet you can double that. A lot of insurance companies will settle for about 10-20% under that, so after your excess you get a cheque for £70, or £250 if it's decent carpet.

If they put a claim in they need to be aware that their premium for the next few years is likely to increase which in a lot of cases iwould make a claim of £250 with a £75 excess not worth claiming for.

You can get a rough idea (It is not an exact science) by running quotes through with the claim entered but bear in mind the quote system will normally allow a new customer discount which the Insurer will not always allow against the existing renewal
  • Redman30
    Redman30 Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    They're thinking of contacting Dulux as surely the lid shouldn't have popped off a brand new unopened tin when it was knocked over by two kids chasing each other and it was standing on carpet at the time not dropped from a great height onto a solid floor.

It didn't just pop off though did it - it was kicked off by kids. Likely they put pressure on the side of the tin with a kick or a stamp, which forced the lid off. Easier to blame the paint tin though.

It's quite funny that he hoovered it up, the mind forms some strange solutions in unusual situations :)
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Redman30 wrote: »
    It didn't just pop off though did it - it was kicked off by kids. Likely they put pressure on the side of the tin with a kick or a stamp, which forced the lid off. Easier to blame the paint tin though.

It's quite funny that he hoovered it up, the mind forms some strange solutions in unusual situations :)

No, it wasn't "kicked" off or stamped in any way by the kids, that would have been a deliberate act. Big one was chasing the 6 year old who ran into it and it was knocked down the step. As it's a "no shoes indoors" house she'd have had one very painful foot if she'd have deliberately kicked it.

At the moment DS's getting the blame for leaving it in a stupid place, but like a lot of men he doesn't think!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure