Does your dog chew up your mail?

edited 30 March 2010 at 9:48PM in Pets & pet care
28 replies 41.2K views
Nice_UsernameNice_Username
3.7K Posts
edited 30 March 2010 at 9:48PM in Pets & pet care
My 10-month-old labrador sometimes decides to chew up the mail that comes through the front door - not every day but just every now and then. Why do dogs do this? Is it boredom, hunger, attantion-seeking when they have been left alone? Does anyone have any tips for getting them out of this habit?:think:

Also, if I need a letterbox cage is there one that fixes on a UPVC front door without needing screws?

Replies

• minnie123minnie123 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    My dog does this he has been doing it for 5 years since he was a puppy - we got one of those door cages but he ended up ripping it off the door to get to the mail. Dogs just love postman & their post - It must be bred into them x
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
    :A1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11:A
  • edited 30 March 2010 at 9:58PM
    vicxvicx Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    edited 30 March 2010 at 9:58PM
    My Yorkshire Terrier (who has now sadly passed away) used to go mad when the postman came. As soon as he seen or heard him he would jump up at the letter box and try to bite the postmans hand then bite the mail as it came through the door! He wouldnt actually chew it though.

We have a porch now so it's not a problem. The yorkie I have now runs to the mail as soon as I open the porch door to collect the mail, he would probably bite it if he seen it come through the door.

You can buy the guards which have suction cups especially for upvc doors. You probably find one on Ebay.
    A home without a dog is like a flower without petals.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    28.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mine used to be ok but started doing it a couple of years ago - I put it down to boredom as it's only when I'm out and if I leave any newspapers out as well the house looks like a snowstorm. The cage worked for me - she has a bit of a woof then leaves it alone.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • My border collie does this we have a letter box cage too but she's worked out how to open it so we've tied some wire around it but she can pull the post through it how she does it I do not know! She's a devil she just likes to do it I think she rips up her foam bedding now so I've bought fleece blankets she is only 14 months old.

Steph xx
  • I would suggest that you restrict access to the letterbos eithe by closing a door or putting up a wire box thingy to cath them mail, but mostly I would suggest training them not to do it.

It'll take time but I'd watch for the postie coming, get your pup in a sit and stay and reward them for staying there when the post comes through. chuck some treats in another direction so they'll associate the post coming through the letterbox with a good thing happening elsewhere etc.

I'm sure there's a few methods to try.

have a look at Victoria Stilwell's site, i've seen her train dogs on her TV programme not to do this, so there will probably be some info on her site.
  • bethiebethie Forumite
    250 Posts
    can't help as the dog shows no interest in the mail, but the cat will start mrawing once it arrives, and won't stop until you come downstairs to pick it up!!!!
  • mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Just to add Royal Mail in my area are getting very tough on dogs and are refusing to deliver to people whose dogs go for the letter box. I think you get one warning and then you have to go to the sorting office to get your mail. I am also getting increasing mail returned to me with comments written on regarding it being inaccessible due to dogs.

This is very bad behaviour that you need to train your dog out of before the postman gets bitten.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Just to add Royal Mail in my area are getting very tough on dogs and are refusing to deliver to people whose dogs go for the letter box. I think you get one warning and then you have to go to the sorting office to get your mail. I am also getting increasing mail returned to me with comments written on regarding it being inaccessible due to dogs.

This is very bad behaviour that you need to train your dog out of before the postman gets bitten.

once you have lost flesh/nails to a dogs teeth at the back of a letterbox you are less undderstanding
    although the most painful one i got was from a cat doing it!
  • suisidevwsuisidevw Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Our border collie goes nuts when the postman arrives, never seen him go for the door but when we get back from work etc it has often moved around the house but not ripped!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Mini-budget 2022: what does it mean for you?

Tax cuts and Universal Credit changes

MSE News

Income tax calculator

Updated with November NI changes

MSE Tool