Money Moral Dilemma: You tore it, should you pay?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 5 April 2010 at 9:44PM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
You tore it, should you pay?

Beatrice is in a shop trying on a new top, but as she takes it off, it gets caught in her necklace causing a small rip. So she picks another and puts the damaged one back. When she gets to the till she feels a bit guilty, should she fess up and buy the damaged one as well?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• She should fess up; she wouldn't be expected to pay; many clothing retailers have Faulty labels and just mark these up and offer a discount on the item to anyone else wanting to buy it.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    If she can't take her clothes off properly without tearing them she should have to pay and go to bed with no supper.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,567
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If it tears so easily it can't be very good quality - she should certainly not buy another one, although it's only fair to buy the one she damaged.
    poppy10
  • Greatgimp
    Greatgimp Posts: 1,048
    Academoney Grad First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you feel you have a moral obligation to pay for damage you caused to anything up for sale, it should be to the value of what the shop bought it for and not for the retail value.
  • Well everyone knows what they SHOULD do in this situation, but I bet a lot don't. It's so easy to 'get away with it', it's embarrassing to admit what you've done, and you feel that if you say nothing that no-one will know. But I imagine that in fact you will probably not be made to pay. When I admitted tearing a catalogue dress, I was just told to return it & got a full refiund. Anyway, just think of the glow of virtue you will have for doing the right thing - priceless.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    No way. I would just leave it, if anyone else wants to buy it afterwards they should be able to get some money off.
  • This actually happened to me not too long ago. I was trying on a gorgeous dress for a wedding, and the salesgirl brought me a pair of amazing shoes to try on with it... silk dress, sharp heels, not paying attention, I know, I know... straight through the side seam in the lining. I was horrified, but knew I couldn't face myself if I didn't say something, even though the rip was in the lining and not visible... so I took a deep breath and pointed it out to them. So sweet and sympathetic, they told me not to worry, they'd noticed the linings were pretty flimsy, and put it on a "return to factory" rack in the back. Yes - it definitely made me want to buy something from them the next time. I suppose the moral is that the truth is often less painful than we think.
  • keet83
    keet83 Posts: 226 Forumite
    if she does pay then it should only be the wholesale price due to legal reasons, if you damage an item in the shop and it is your sole fault then you need to pay how much the item cost for the shop owner.
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
  • LOUY_2
    LOUY_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    I suggest she points out that it is damaged, so another customer doesnt pay good money for a damaged product. It would also help the retailer as they would not want to sell damaged products as it will affect their brand name as well.

She doesnt have to admit that the damage was her fault. Eitherway, retailers understand and expect damages and breakages for which they budget for.
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2005): £120,000
    Current mortgage (March 2011): £98,563
    Update (Jan 2014): £89,639
    Mortgage free day: Jan 2034
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    She should certainly confess. After all, if somebody tore a hole in her car, she'd be upset if they didn't...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure