Money Moral Dilemma: You tore it, should you pay?

Options

Comments

• Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Pointing out the damage to the garment would be the honest thing to do, but I doubt if the shop would charge her or even make her buy it.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Should she confess & offer to pay for the torn dress? Yes.

Would I? Now there's a different question .............
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Tulgey_Wood
    Options
    NO WAY!
    The merchant has a choice, as a business, whether to allow potential customers to try before they buy. This entails a risk assessment of the likelihood of garments being accidentally damaged, balanced against the increased likelihood of making a sale (and therfore a profit) where garments may be tried. There will always be some risk, and the potential cost to the retailer is reflected in the prices we pay for ALL of the goods at the point of sale.
  • LoadZaFunk
    Options
    I believe legally she's liable to pay only the wholesale cost to the store of the dress... however; if it was me I'd shut up, pay for the other item & make a hasty exit
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    If she can't take her clothes off properly without tearing them she should have to pay and go to bed with no supper.
    I'll happily help her take her clothes off :j
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't buy the damaged or a new one. They are obviously quite poor quality if they rip so easily, and if she is likely to want to wear the necklace with the top, then the same thing could happen with the new one.

I'd just leave both and not say anything. The shop allows try before you buy, so they have to expect some damage.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    Should she confess & offer to pay for the torn dress? Yes.

Would I? Now there's a different question .............

Same here.

Legally, IF a store chooses to make you pay for damage, they can ONLY charge you the wholesale price of them item(s), NOT the retail price.
  • juliamarsh
    juliamarsh Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well there's no way I would own up - I'm surprised how many people are saying they would! Perhaps I'm just horribly dishonest and amoral!!
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh no! This is a tough one. I would be sooo tempted to keep schtum and buy a perfect item... but I know I couldn't live with myself, so I'd have to 'fess up.

Stores usually have insurance or factory-returns policies to deal with such mishaps - after all, it WAS an accident and Beatrice didn't deliberately or maliciously rip the dress. I imagine that the vast majority of outlets would say "Don't worry about it, these things happen." - but, in case they didn't, I'd buy the dress I accidentally damaged and repair it myself at home with a few stitches.

Best to be honest, I feel. And, these days, Beatrice has probably been filmed on CCTV sneakily replacing the ripped dress on the rail and picking out a new one...!
  • shamilt1
    shamilt1 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Not a hope in hell that I would pay - I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep either. Also as I am buying another I am sure the profit from that one would more than cover the actual cost of the damaged one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure