Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

edited 5 April 2010 at 11:20PM in Over 50s Money Saving
262 replies 468.6K views

Replies

• hethmarhethmar Forumite
    10.7K posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that in their special over 60s package they offer a "Free eye test at Boots optician".

Such wondrous generosity! :rotfl:

They do give you 30% off glasses aswell
  • Which is generous - but why don't they say that instead? Would be much more of a 'hook'!
    Also known as "Flaglady" because I love using flags in church!
  • edited 13 June 2010 at 7:32PM
    hethmarhethmar Forumite
    10.7K posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2010 at 7:32PM
    Dont know, when you join they give you a bunch of vouchers - it costs nothing to join.

Just checked, it does say that on their online site:

f you're aged 60 or over, join the free Boots Health Club to benefit from fantastic savings and special offers, helping you stay on top of your health. As a Health Club member you'll receive these exclusive discounts...

Click below to find out more about our special offers for members aged 60 or over: roundel.jpg

10% off Boots brand products every time you shop

This offer includes No7, Soltan and Expert brands. Once you have used this discount, it will automatically be applied each time you purchase a Boots own brand product.
    Click here to find out more.

BOL.jpg
    30% off Boots brand glasses at Boots Opticians

This offer includes any complete pair of Boots brand glasses or upgrade.
    Click here to find out more.
  • edited 7 July 2010 at 3:17AM
    Chris_mcneilChris_mcneil Forumite
    55 posts
    edited 7 July 2010 at 3:17AM
    Food:
    I don't know if this counts as spam, as I do work for the company that does this, but there are some pubs which have diamond club for over 50s. Depending on the type of pub (carvery or non-carvery) you get set 2 course meal, main plus starter/dessert for around £7.25 (a carvery alone is about £8 at ours) or 25% off at non-carvery pubs. Free to join and here's the website: diamondclubcard.co.uk (won't let me post a direct link as I'm a new user)

if there's a pub near you and you're over 50, it's well worth it

edit: just to clarify, I'm not posting this for the benefit of the company but for the benefit of anyone who reads it. Also, I have nothing to gain from this post other than the thought that somebody somewhere might find this useful
    Debts remaining: £0/£16000
    PPI reclaimed: Halifax £2300, Welcome Finance - £2400
  • oakesaveoakesave Forumite
    3 posts
    Frankl wrote: »
    Wyevale are now owned by a company called Garden Centres and no longer give a 10% discount. Instead they give double points on their new card on Tuesdays.
    National Trust only offer a pensioner discount if you have been a member for at least 5 years.

Then join the National Trust for Scotland instead! You get the over 60s discount. Cheap for the first year on direct debit. And they have a reciprocal agreement with the National Trust. Oh - and their magazine actually has items worth reading unlike the boring NT one.
  • oakesaveoakesave Forumite
    3 posts
    I notice some cinemas have special viewings for over 60s - and offer free tea and biscuits - for example Vue cinema Tuesdays. Why tea and biscuits? Does something happen at 60 that means we automatically stop drinking coke and eating popcorn? A free Ben and Jerrys - now that would be inviting.
  • pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both winter fuel payments AND the buss pass have to wait till you reach pensionable age which is now on a sliding scale depending on when you were born. I am 60 this September but will have to wait till March 2011 till I can collect my pension and the above. Others will have to wait a lot longer!
  • Not too sure if this is the right forum, but if you are visiting Spain and visiting any local attractions or museums, look out for concessions available to all senior visitors on production of proof of seniority (In Spain it is all aged 65 years young) For example, visiting the Alhambra in Granada can save you a couple of bawbees if you are over 65.
    BTW, If you are in Northern Ireland (NI), you can flash your (English, Welsh or Scottish) bus pass on the Portaferry-Strangford ferry to travel at no cost. I am sure that there are other deals in NI that don't discriminate against pensioners from the mainland. Besides, it is a lovely place to visit.
  • salthepalsalthepal Forumite
    425 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭
    oakesave wrote: »
    Then join the National Trust for Scotland instead! You get the over 60s discount. Cheap for the first year on direct debit. And they have a reciprocal agreement with the National Trust. Oh - and their magazine actually has items worth reading unlike the boring NT one.

Do you mean that if you join the NT for Scotland, you can use your membership for the NT at no extra charge?

Thanks.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Food:
    I don't know if this counts as spam, as I do work for the company that does this, but there are some pubs which have diamond club for over 50s. Depending on the type of pub (carvery or non-carvery) you get set 2 course meal, main plus starter/dessert for around £7.25 (a carvery alone is about £8 at ours) or 25% off at non-carvery pubs. Free to join and here's the website: diamondclubcard.co.uk (won't let me post a direct link as I'm a new user)

if there's a pub near you and you're over 50, it's well worth it

edit: just to clarify, I'm not posting this for the benefit of the company but for the benefit of anyone who reads it. Also, I have nothing to gain from this post other than the thought that somebody somewhere might find this useful

Yesterday, we passed a pub overlooking the ocean (as we posh folk call it), one that we've noticed before and thought it looked inviting. As a direct result of you posting, I googled and found that the particular pub we had seen, was and is the only one in the chain close to us, so have registered on-line and eagerly await my membership card. Thanks again.