Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• taurus
    taurus Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    If you're over 60, the Dogs Trust membership is reduced from £20 to £10 and you get free pet insurance.
  • MrGumby
    MrGumby Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Moon_River wrote: »
    What's all this I read about the free over 60's bus pass being "put back" and not now being available till women(and men?) are in receipt of state pension?
    Read the earlier parts of this thread and you'll find your answer.
  • Lymmbo
    Lymmbo Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    National Trust Scotland which gives you access to all UK properties give a discount to over 60's and if one of a married couple is over 60 they both get it when taking out a joint membership. Only difference is that you only get the Scotland book of properties, but it is still cheaper even if you buy the English property book seperately
  • retiredbunny
    Options
    The Telford and Wrekin area of Shropshire provide people over 50 with a Flex card which gives several reductions - free swimming, reduced rail travel on Shropshire and Wrexham Company's rail travel from their area,and other reductions I have not yet explored. A £40 ticket to London becomes £26.80.:rotfl:
  • Sarahcat
    Sarahcat Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Go on to weekly payment for your pension, it's paid in advance every Monday.
    Lucky you. I may well have to change to a weekly payment.
    My birthday was on 16th March and having rung the office yesterday I was informed that I won't receive my first 4 weeks' pension until the 30th April.
    I reckon that should be the 26th April as its a week in arrears!!
    Warning!!! As my birthday fell on a Tuesday I have lost 6 days pension.
    I wonder if Martin would like to start questionning that?
    I've sent an email to my local MP!!
    :T
    PS I was actually replying to Make Do And Mend
  • Sarahcat
    Sarahcat Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    tanith wrote: »
    I don't think weekly payments are available anymore... glad I opted for that before they called a halt... those who already get paid weekly will still get it weekly but the option is not available to new pensioners..

I was offered this option but as I'd rather have a lump sum (ha-ha) opted for the 4 weekly.
    What a mistake!:eek:
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    finsnan wrote: »
    My husband is 60 on the 17th of this month and got his bus pass in the post yesterday.
    So not sure about this.

I am 60 on May5 and i handed my forms in yesterday to merseytravel and they said they would send my pass out nearer my birthday.
  • savetilibleed
    savetilibleed Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    J_&_J wrote: »
    According to Working Lunch and the featured directgov website if your 60th Birthday falls after 6th April 2010 you will have to wait until your 'normal' pension age to get this benefit. The eligible date appears to follow the same staggered calculations as the incremental dates which change the women's pension age from 60 to 65. This applies to both men and women for the pass.:mad:
    The new legislation applies from that date, 6 April 2010. For the Freedom Pass in London boroughs (suppose it is too for other areas) there is information HERE that includes a link to a table showing eligible age changes.
    finsnan wrote: »
    My husband is 60 on the 17th of this month and got his bus pass in the post yesterday.
    So not sure about this.
    I guess in your husband's case, he already has the pass and it will have been applied for well in advance of the change, no doubt, so why not use it. The table shows the eligable date for him is the 6 May 2010. So not much in it ;)
  • Supergill
    Options
    Cinema tickets - I asked at Cineworld MK how old I had to be to qualify for 'senior' concession and got a reduction just by telling them I was 61 ( the truth!). No documentation was required.
    Football grounds - As already stated, age limit is sometimes 60, sometimes 65. Always worth asking at the turnstile (You never know, the person may not know the limit and give you the benefit of the doubt :) ). On occasions I have simply asked for a 'senior's ticket' and was sold one with no questions.
  • PhiltheBear
    PhiltheBear Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    taurus wrote: »
    If you're over 60, the Dogs Trust membership is reduced from £20 to £10 and you get free pet insurance.

Not exactly - the pet insurance is a third-party insurance e.g. if your dog attacks someone. It's NOT a full pet insurance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback