greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Em..... would it not be cheaper to knock it down and start again :rotfl:. Good luck - lots to arrange and potential for spreadsheeting :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of work there....or lots of opportunity to research the MSE way to do it I suppose.
    We are considering what to do about our heating at the mo. It keeps breaking down and house is cold. System is only about 10 years old but blooming useless.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Good luck with heating and kitchen project. We should be thinking about the same but can't face it!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Lots of spreadsheet potential, yes, GG! :D:D When I have some figures I shall start playing.

We're not going to start this yet. Boiler will need doing before kitchen completed (but will need dimensions for kitchen cupboard to hide it). Floor will need doing after current kitchen ripped out but before new one goes in. Replastering the same. Windows and doors before new kitchen (thinking of the tiling in the window recesses.....) Kitchen to be done ideally in term time (4 kids at home with no kitchen and workemen around? - nightmare!) and in decent weather (ish. last time we had kitchen done from late Oct - mid Jan (building work involved) - I was cooking dinner for about 11 that Xmas and had my gas oven connected Xmas Eve...... bit stressy!! And had no kitchen sink from late Oct until mid Jan!!)

Sitting here stuffed after yummy dinner of YS chicken with red cabbage, parsnips, sprouts, leeks, peas, roast pots, broccoli, carrots, yorkies, pigs in blankets and stuffing!!! Followed by pears poached in mulled wine with o-o-d (oops - forgot about it) whipped up dbl cream with vanilla seeds added and a little bit of crème de mures poured over the top. Gorgeous :D:D Chicken carcass already stripped and stock made with the excess veggie water and some bay leaves.:) Now cooling before I strip all the teeny tiny pieces from the boiled bones :)

Have not made sandwiches but have done some prep for the packed lunches (5 lots!!) to make my morning smoother :)

Decluttering:
    19 - 3 coloured eye mousses (???? - free GWP) decluttered - 2 to bin, one unused donated.

Also targeting large stash of toiletries this year (managed last year to use up hoard of shampoo and conditioner - had to buy some for me last month for first time in about 18 months!!) - 1 expensive shower gel (received as gift and 'saved for best' (why??)) finished this morning and replaced with identical full bottle (another gift!). Hubby's shower gel bottle refilled with radox bubble bath (last 'free' bottle - finally - from Tesco DTD price match days!!! Still lots left to refill it a couple more times :)) Disliked face moisturiser used as body moisturiser in effort to use it up :) I still have a looooong way to go - I received 2 of the Boots No 7 bargainacious £35 huge sets for Xmas and another No 7 set of shower gel, body lotion, body polish and bath gel - and 2 other random sets of shower gel and body lotion, along with a bottle of my fave perfume - complete with matching shower gel and body lotion......... And I had a massive stash before then!!! (I have since decluttered several items, currently in 'pending' pile)

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • WhiteSnowdrop
    Options
    You are doing so well on the decluttering front. I'm trying to do one bag a day and finding it too easy, I clearly have too much carp in my house! Your renovations sound extensive and exciting. Our house is old and needs quite a bit doing to it but we are saving up to do it next year so I just keep putting on extra socks to keep the cold off my poor toes.

WS
    GC Feb - £190/£200
    2015 OP Challenge - £420/£4000
    Mortgage Free Aim Nov 2021
  • greent
    edited 5 January 2015 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Thanks WS - but my house is full of carp, so it's relatively easy to find stuff if I'm looking for it!! (or even if I'm not! :D)

Standard OP went out the other day with DD. Am waiting for Lloyds to update my mortgage account with last month's interest (I'm always out by a couple of pence or so as I've done the lazy view on the spreadsheet of lumping repayments in together at month end, rather than throughout the month - so the int varies minutely each month. When it's updated (tomorrow, hopefully!) I shall post figures of where we were/ where we are :)

Small OP of £5 made today - sold unwanted Xmas present.

Decluttering:
    20- unwanted Xmas present - sold
    21 - A&C calendar (free gift from them) - donated (we already have 7 2015 calendars here! :))
    22 - boxed set of sparkly red nail varnish & lip gloss (present) - donated as a tombola prize :)
    23 - fridge magnet - donated
    24 - 4 unused full sized body lotions - donated
    25 - 4 unused make up items - donated
    26 - 6 x unused airplane/ hotel sealed toothbrushes - donated ( to local charity helping families in crisis)
    27 - old Nokia - donated to local charity
    28 - wooden jigsaw sold on ebay - posted :)

Happy Monday! It was hard getting up this morning :(
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • greent
    edited 6 January 2015 at 8:34PM
    Options
    Good afternoon :)

I bit the bullet and rejoined SW today....:eek::eek: Should probably have waited until next week, but it would have only been delaying the inevitable!:p

Sold another item on ebay so will post that later. 3 more things have bids on, so they are sloooooowly going :) Will make an effort to list some more stuff later, as it's the last day of FL :)

DS2's bday today - 9!! Thankfully he doesn't want a big party - he and his 2 besties are going to the cinema and McD's on Sat :)

Small amount of decluttering:
    29 - small pile of paperwork dealt with - shredded/ recycled/ forms completed/ payments made. Many, many, many more HUGE piles still left!! :(:o
    30 - 3 mascaras binned
    31 - 3 pairs school trousers outgrown by DS3 - recycled to school for spares ;)
    32 - 1 foreign bank note - sold on ebay - (to be) posted
    33 - 6 'age' (various) birthday badges - 3 donated to charity shop, 3 binned

No real money news. Cashback on quidco and tcb seems to be taking an age to come to fruition at the mo :( Lloyds still haven't updated my mtge with Dec int charged :( (although yesterday's small OP is showing!)

A&C veg box delivery today - includes radishes - argh! Thankfully DH likes them, so steak, chips & (lots of radish-y) salad it is for him then!! :D

x
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope all is well in the greent household. xx
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • usa1
    usa1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    A&C veg box delivery - how lovely, what luxury.

All the best with your new kitchen, When did you get your kitchen done last?
    It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson, Clockwise
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How are things, greent? Trust all is well xx
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback