greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all :) x

Well, I'm well and truly fed up with 2015 so far - hence my absence. Several things have not been good (actually, 'not good' is not bad enough - several things have been downright complete and utter pants) - but the saddest has to be my friend's daughter losing her battle with cancer a week ago - just one month after her 17th birthday. She never made it out of hospital after being diagnosed back in October - so spent her last Xmas, NY and birthday there. Her final week was spent in a hospice. I have been so impressed and moved to tears by the messages left on her facebook wall - most of these messages are left by teenagers and the maturity and emotion in them is amazing. There are a few one liners - but most are paragraphs long, with tales of memories of their times together and with pictures added. Such an amazing online memorial to her which - I am sure at some future point - will be of some comfort to her parents to see just how loved she was by so many. A large group of local teenagers held their own memorial to her at the local playing fields too - candles, pictures, balloons, flowers - very touching. Lots of us are taking place in a 3k rainbow run to raise funds for the hospice - I've madly agreed to take part :eek:

Her death puts some perspective on the rest of the frankly sh**e stuff which has been happening here.

Moving on, decluttering continues - I have been selling lots of toys on fleabay, thanks to free listings :D:T I will tot up amounts and add to sig later, but decluttering list update is as follows:

34 DS game - ebay
    35. Binliner of clothes - charity
    36. UNderwear - bin
    37. Skirt - ebay
    38. Old SW books x 2 sets - recycled
    39. Craghoppers bought for DD's DofE - ebay
    40. Sandals - ebay
    41. Itchy Neals Yard face moisturiser - used as body lotion
    42. ITNG magazines - recycled
    43. Broken Pinky Ponk toy - bin
    44. Old food processor - facebook selling pages
    45. Cross stitch kit - ebayed
    46. old empty boxes (broken) - recycled
    47. BN sarong in box - charity
    48. box of paperwork - recycled
    49/ 50/51 - stick on jewels - ebay
    52. hotel shampoos and conditioners - conscious effort made and all used up
    53. Mixed Hotel jams - used up in steam sponge
    54 -61 - toys - ebay
    62. - unwanted perfume and body lotion rec'd as Xmas gift - ebay
    63. - another box of paperwork - recycled/ filed/ shredded
    64. 3 sample bottles of perfumes - used up
    65. various sample sachets of toiletries - donated
    66. 4 books lent to me - returned
    67. lots of packaging - used on ebay parcels
    68. dress - ebay
    69. - 75. sets of foreign banknotes sold on ebay
    76. -84. parcels of toys sold on ebay
    85. set of wooden musical toys - sold on local facebook pages
    86. top - ebay
    87. heaps more recycled packaging used on ebay parcels

More ebay items have been sold and are awaiting payment - I'll add those when they've left the building! ;) I've also taken 2 boxes of clothes out of the loft and washed them and put them in DS2 and DS3's wardrobes. Lots of things are priced up ready for a nearly new sale this month, too - so hopefully more items to add to decluttering list and more money to add to sales figs :)

MFW news: We've broken the sub £10K barrier this month :T:T - balance is currently approx. £9515:j:j with daily interest being less than 75p:beer:. This should reduce to sub £9500 by end of month from more sales :D

It's currently half term. I had looked at a last minute trip to Center Parcs, but DS1 was away this weekend with army cadets and DD is revising this week for her mock exams next week so scrapped that idea (plus the accom alone cost £1000!!:eek: - and that was the budget 'villa'!) so we're having 2 day trips out instead - @Bristol Science Museum and the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff - hopefully both of those can satisfy the age range of 17 - 5!! Plus lots of game playing, baking and the like. And tidying/ sorting of the rooms of the small 2. And more ebay listing.... (have another 100 free listings.... I feel obliged to use as many as poss lol!!)

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on diaries :(:( and will try and gradually catch up over the next couple of weeks, probably on an evening when the small children are asleep and the teens are hiding in their rooms!! :D:D

xx

I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Sorry to hear things have been difficult. It is very hard losing a child and will hold your friends in our family prayers.

Your eb@ying is going well. I seem to have stalled on the selling front and can't face listing anything. This needs to change :D

Huge congratulations on being under £10k - we are approaching £100k and I know how excited I feel, so you must be :j:j:j

Take care, Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry things have been hard and upsetting.

I also had a little look on cp website thinking I could get a good deal pre- summer holidays. No chance! We were only looking at 2 bed lodges too.

Your daily interest is fab too, all down to your fantastic efforts.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Thanks for posting greent and letting us know how you are. Awesome result on the mortgage! And, like Tilly, we shall hold your friends in our prayers too.

Your half term plans sound great. I think cp is overrated - always full, though...but the prices are painful. xx
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So sorry about the friend, so hard for all involved x

Way to go on ebay and interest :T, nearly there :j.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    greent, sorry to hear things have been so rough. I'm especially sorry to hear of your friend's daughter :(

You sound like you're coping amazingly well, and yes, the normal mfw milestones being reached must feel great too.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.

So young.

Xxx
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hi, so sorry you hear what has happened, it's a terrible thing to lose someone so young.

Well done on the de-cluttering. I'm on that road myself at the moment. I'm love it when more things leave the house, and I've enjoyed deciding what can go, but the eBay side of it can be a slog

Also well done on your four figure mortgage

Hope you enjoy half term as much as possible
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    So sorry to hear your sad news. Much love in my thoughts to all affected.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So sorry to read of your loss.
    so sad, too young.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback