greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How is dh getting on, being away? How much longer is it for?
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Cake is always welcome, ng! :D

OH is not liking it, apple - still silly hours - 12hour+ days, although that's easing off a little bit until the next stage goes 'live' - he's probably down to 10hour days! Socially it's improved since he recommended a fellow consultant (whom he'd worked with before) for a role there (and we got a £100 M&S gift card from the recruiters as a reward :D) - they have a social evening once a week - cinema/ few beers in the pub/ a curry - the other chap is also staying away, so they've got each other for company. It's 'X' this and 'X' that and 'X and I went.... last night' - it's almost a bit of a bromance! :D

Contract end date is 21st July - he thinks it might get extended. Good in one way, but that's when the kids are off school, so a Summer home would be nice. However, that's the nature of contracting - you take what's there when it's there..... x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just catching up..all sounds good. Know what you mean re contracting, it's hard to balance it all.

Have a great weekend x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The bike trailer sale is a good one! Great that someone else will get use of it too :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    Options
    Yes - the couple that bought the trailer were lovely and their little girl was very cute :)

More clearing out going on - I actually dealt with lots of paperwork yesterday, rather than just sort it into piles and move it from place to place until it gets muddled again. Mostly filed (sadly - we need to keep a lot of paper mainly for HMRC type reasons), but lots also recycled and a big pile burned (was raining yesterday, so shoved it in the chiminea and kept the lid on - cue lots of smoke) Also decided to get rid of my SW magazines and some recipe books. Listed the magazines in bundles yesterday evening and 3 bundles sold overnight :) Will list the books today if I can muster up enthusiasm!

I've also made good inroads on my to-be-read books this year - this month alone I've passed 6 on (5 read, 1 attempted to 3x over the past couple of years - I gave up this time!) Sometimes the time is right to let things go/ clear stuff/ sort stuff. It's then almost pleasant to sort it out - whereas it's a real chore at other times. I still have several shelves full of books to be read though :)

I can't not acknowledge what happened yesterday in London - terrible - my thoughts go out to those involved and their families. My step brother was in London, but not in the area (although had been earlier in the day) I have been talking about the attack this morning with DS1 - will cover it in a different way with DS2 and DS3 after school

On the subject of DS1, he's at a UCAS day today - so he's got his list of unis that he is interested in to go and find/ talk to/ get info from - and then he's going to have a wander around and see what freebies he can get!

Can't believe that DD is coming towards the end of her first year at uni already :eek She is coming home at Easter with the bf (his parents are on hols for the first week with his younger brothers) - guess that means I've got to get him an egg too! :) I think it is safe to say that she has really enjoyed her first year :) DS1 will be away for Easter weekend (which is also his 17th birthday) with army cadets. I am looking forward to the long weekend with OH home - I hope the weather is at least dry. If it is, we plan to tackle the areas of the garage where the mice were which we couldn't easily get to in the Autumn/ Winter. Give it all a good clear out and clean down. No doubt some stuff will have to go (the box with my wedding veil and the bridesmaids headdresses in has apparently been attacked....)

Not much else to report here... life is just pootling on.. :)
    xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • Karmacat
    Options
    I know what you mean about the London attack, greent - I just feel like if I start on my own thread, I'll write a book. I'm just glad that my London rellies (nearly all the next generation of our family!) weren't caught up in it, and terribly sad for all those people who *were*. Our multinational capital! I feel especially sorry for those poor South Koreans, all older than me from the sound of it - I saw one report that said they were caught up in a stampede? Awful :(
  • greent
    Options
    Whoop! Nearly at the end of another month (almost a quarter through the year already! :eek :eek) - meaning I'm now less than 2 weeks away from making my first OP for 2017 to the BTL. I'm already trying to persuade myself to pay more than my plan! :D

Just had a lovely (and busy) weekend. The smallest 2 both got swimming awards from their lessons and OH and I took a walk with them to the supermarket (the incentive for them being they could buy Lego with their own money) in beautiful sunshine. We also did some cleaning/ tidying/ organising and the house looks much better a result :) I've sold 13 things on fleebay in the last week :D:D and have another dozen listed and maybe another half doze still to list. They've mainly been small things, too - so I've been able to use my RM Survey stamps, which is always a bonus (I tend to use a courier for larger items) And today I had an email asking if I'd be interested in joining the RMS team again - of course I said yes :D

Spring is definitely here - and it's lovely :)

Skyped with DD yesterday - she and bf are coming here for the whole of the Easter hols (I thought it was only going to be a week), which will be nice - means I'll have to get him an egg, though - can't leave him out! :D I've said that if they do some of the charity related paperwork I have for me that I'll pay for them to have a meal out at Nandos - my hand was snapped off at that - it's actually a good deal, as far as I'm concerned!

OH has now done 2 full months of this contract - 1/3rd of the way through. It's definitely just a means to an end - ie: taking the Summer off work without any concern about money. One contractor has resigned early from their contract and another has been given express permission by his wife that he can leave if he wants, as it's so bad. I've said to OH that he needs to try and hang in there if he can - and to keep his eye on the goal at the end. Obviously if it was truly affecting him in a negative way I'd say to leave, but they have to give a month's notice anyway - which would then take him to half way through - hopefully from then on it's a downward slope to the finish :)

Exercise is going ok - am managing something usually 4 or 5 days a week. Not feeling/ seeing any change, but it has to be doing me some good! :D

x
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can't recall how long you've been exercising. But it is said that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for those nearest to you to notice, and 12 weeks for the world to notice. Keep going!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Sounds like its going well, greent, but sorry the contract for OH is so bad. Keeping your eye on the prize at the end is a positive, though :) And I like apple's saying about exercise :)
  • greent
    Options
    Does anyone have a referral code? (if they exist - there's a place to enter promo code, so figured it might be a referral code)

Am signing up for new tax year :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure