PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Fleas

does anyone know how to get rid of fleas.took the pair of fleabags to the vet last week and had them deloused but now there back

Comments

• This brings back terrible memories of last summer when we came back from hols to find major infestation - our only way to stop them was to buy those "fogging" house treatments where you set the canister off in a closed room for a few hours...
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    slice a lemon up inc skin leave overnight to soak in some boiling water

next morning get a cloth and soak the cats in the water by strokingthem with the cloth

this will kill their fleas

you then have to hoover every nook and cranny of the house to make sure the eggs are gone

sprinkle salt all over the carpets and let it sit for a while then hoover up

put cider vinegar in cats din dins and theyll never get fleas again

or crush a brewers years tablet into kittys food fleas hate yeast

sprinkle rosemary under their beds
  • BatCat
    BatCat Posts: 474 Forumite
    I find the only thing that works is Frontline!!
    But rather than buying it from a vet in the UK check out pet sites in Europe or France.
    http://www.beautycenter.co.uk/ is based in France (I think) and will sell you cheap cheap Frontline and give you reward points!

Don't buy the spot on products they sell in Tescos, my vet claims they are only effective if you use the box to bash the fleas to death.
    Cheers,
    BatCat
  • Pat__3
    Pat__3 Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    After reading these very goods tips again re Cathy
    found myself scratching :o

Decided to put Rosemary under my bed, but she would'nt fit...wait she said let me finish my diet first ;D

Do you think it would be alright for me to use the Herb instead Cathy ;D ;D ;D
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    you then have to hoover every nook and cranny of the house to make sure the eggs are gone

Put a cat flea collar into your hoover bag otherwise any live fleas or hatching eggs that you have sucked up can come out again.

Remember to treat the cats as well as anywhere they lie or sleep with flea spray. Even though the petshop flea treatments aren't very good I find that the sprays are quite effective and the flea shampoo definitely works.
  • Thanks for all the tips just popping out know to buy a pound of lemons!!!!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I've got some natural wipes that contain tea-tree oil (I have it on good authority that fleas don't like the smell) which is also anti-bacterial, so should help prevent kitty getting an infection when bitten.
    I don't know if they work though as flea-bag doesn't like the smell of them either and scarpers as soon as i lift the lid off!
    ;D ;D ;D
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    i have a tea tree oil spray which i get the cat with at feeding time. seems to work a treat.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you make the flea spray yourself or do you buy it (and if so where?) thanks

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.