BT to amend residential prices - the ups and downs

Comments

• bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    The minimum call charge has been replaced with a call connection fee (or setup fee to use BT's words). This means that the cost of any chargable calls you make with BT WILL increase compared to what you were paying before.

It also means that other teleco's will now follow BT by example and change to a connection fee/call setup fee so they are then 'inline' with BT. That is, except, Telewest/NTL who already have a connection fee.
    mad_rich wrote:
    could be worse. They could have 'enhanced' the line rental to £15.
    or "simplify" the line rental. :rotfl:
  • hurrah
    hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Hopefully not all Call Providers will not follow them like lambs.
  • bbb_uk
    Something that I never noticed but spotted by Dave on SayNo here and that is:-
    Whole Minute Charging
    From 1st October 2006, each call will be rounded up to the next whole minute for national and local geographic calls, international calls and landline-to-mobile calls.

Effectively this means that a very quick call or the call being answered by voicemail could mean you, depending on time of day, are paying 6p for a few seconds of call (3p connection fee + 3p for the first minute = 6p).

Thankfully, for the time being at least, this whole minute charging only applies to calls to geographical numbers (those beginning 01 or 02) and not 08x/09 numbers. I suspect overtime this will change as well now that BT have all this freedom.
    hurrah wrote:
    Hopefully not all Call Providers will not follow them like lambs.
    I'm afraid it's inevitable. Some will be quick to follow BT and some will take their time but in the end it will happen I think.

It's also inevitable that other teleco's will follow on this whole minute charging thing like BT will start doing as well.

Overall though, I can't say I'm surprised as any price cut in one area is nearly always increased in other areas to counter-balance the initial price cut.
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    bbb_uk wrote:
    Something that I never noticed but spotted by Dave on SayNo here and that is:-
    Whole Minute Charging
    From 1st October 2006, each call will be rounded up to the next whole minute for national and local geographic calls, international calls and landline-to-mobile calls.

Effectively this means that a very quick call or the call being answered by voicemail could mean you, depending on time of day, are paying 6p for a few seconds of call (3p connection fee + 3p for the first minute = 6p).

Thankfully, for the time being at least, this whole minute charging only applies to calls to geographical numbers (those beginning 01 or 02) and not 08x/09 numbers. ...
    This will include mobile calls, so short calls to the four main mobile networks (O2/Vodafone/Orange/T-Mobile) that cost between 12.4 and 15.4 pence per minute during the daytime will cost a minimum of 15.5 to 18.5 pence at today's prices. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Calls to 3 mobiles will cost even more!
  • eribaman
    eribaman Posts: 14 Forumite
    Will the Call Set Up Fee apply to Override Providers like 18185. eg 3p + 4p (18185 fee)
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    eribaman wrote:
    Will the Call Set Up Fee apply to Override Providers like 18185. eg 3p + 4p (18185 fee)

Not if you are you are using the short access code eg 18185/1899/18866 as these bypass BT network.

You could also avoid the BT call set up fee by using the 0808 freephone numbers supplied by 18185 etc but in most cases this will involve you in dearer tariffs.
  • Just wondering do these new charges from BT (option 1, 2 etc) apply if you're an existing customer - are our bills going to be reduced or is it a "brand new customers only" Typical after we've just received our 1/4 bill up to November
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    25 preduction for online billing if I opt...............they told me I was not gonna get paperbills any more no talk of opting in or out, And rounding up........hmmh. give with one hand take with another we wills ee and I wonder if they will effect the new total prices,

Beth
    xx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • bbb_uk
    Just wondering do these new charges from BT (option 1, 2 etc) apply if you're an existing customer..
    I would say it effects everyone from 1st August onwards.
    ..Are our bills going to be reduced or is it a "brand new customers only" Typical after we've just received our 1/4 bill up to November
    Your bills will be reduced if you are on BT's option 2 or 3 but for those on Option 1 or making a chargable call on option 2 or 3 (ie to 07x, 8x, 09x numbers), you will pay an extra 3p from 1st August.
  • bbb_uk wrote:
    I would say it effects everyone from 1st August onwards.

Your bills will be reduced if you are on BT's option 2 or 3 but for those on Option 1 or making a chargable call on option 2 or 3 (ie to 07x, 8x, 09x numbers), you will pay an extra 3p from 1st August.
    So what happens to little old me please?

I am on Option 1 and have for at least a year now been using the MSE suggetion of dialling 1899 during the day and signing up with what was JustCall for evenings and weekends.

Poor old brain is now starting to get confused, or is this what BT want it - confuse us poor old !!!!!!s?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure