Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Does Anyone Volunteer for their Local CAB?

Options

Comments

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well I applied around 23rd March via the feedback form on my local Cab website and have heard nothing at all despite sending a further email to them.

Is it worth calling?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tiff wrote: »
    Well I applied around 23rd March via the feedback form on my local Cab website and have heard nothing at all despite sending a further email to them.

Is it worth calling?
    Can't hurt to phone and ask how long the process takes and how it works. It may be that they work in batches, if that makes sense.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    This has been really useful, my DSis has an interview tomorrow at the CAB , I've just emailed her the link to this! Thanks
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Are you involved with Victim Support?

I'm looking for as much legal experience as possible but would like to volunteer for charitable organisations to make the time doubly worthwhile?

I did a little over a year as a volunteer for Victim Support, while i was there there were a few students who had just finished Uni and were going into the police or probationary service, some into social work and came to VS to gain experience,
    We were allowed to start while waiting for our CRB checks but weren't left to see people alone, just sat in on interviews.
    I'd recommend some sort of volunteering to anyone, the only help lots of people want is someone to spend the time to sit and listen to them and as was said earlier about helping with a benefit claim in the VS we helped people claim criminal injuries and many of them were so grateful.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • tiff
    Options
    Well I've finally been invited to an introduction meeting, prior to interview and training except I only work on a Monday and ALL the training dates are on Mondays. Aaaargggghhh!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • tiff
    Options
    Sorry to stalk this thread, I was just wondering from those that work there how easy/difficult is it to get paid employment with CAB once you've finished training? I'm trying to tie in a part time job (that I dont have yet) and CAB volunteering. The 7 weeks of CAB training are all on Mondays so it would mean giving up my remaining job (once a week) and it all feels a bit messy so I just wanted to speak to someone else to work things through. My aim is to hopefully get a job as a debt adviser with CAB once all training is done but is it a realistic possibility?
  • cabbage
    cabbage Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 June 2010 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Hi

CAB don't often take people on who are not trained advisers so you do need to complete your training first. As for availability of jobs, that's down to funding but if you're fully trained and show potential then its relatively easy to walk into a job if there is funding available. CAB struggle for funding at times and are never over staffed. Once trained, you might want to consider helping out the money advisers on a voluntary basis while a paid job comes up.
    The Cabbage
    Its Advice - Take it or Leave it:D
  • tiff
    Options
    Yes, I think thats a good idea. When I wrote the above I hadnt considered all that training and experience has to be good for my CV too so its definitely worth it, just need to find a part time job to replace my Monday one. Thanks for replying.
  • cabbage
    cabbage Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where I live there are other CAB bureaux nearby which I could reach in about 20 - 30 mins. There might be one near to you that doesn't do the training on a Monday.

Yes, volunteering for CAB is good for your CV. The training is an accreditation on some university law degrees and many companies actively recruit CAB workers/volunteers.

If CAB is not going to work out due to your work commitments, have a look for paid employment with your Local Authority's Welfare rights service. Its not as diverse as CAB as its primarily for benefit enquiries but their training is excellent and it might be valuable working there initially before looking for paid work at CAB. Although I said earlier that CAB do not normally recruit non CAB people in their paid roles there are always exceptions and a welfare rights trained employee is going to be looked on favourably.
    The Cabbage
    Its Advice - Take it or Leave it:D
  • chocsessential
    Options
    Well, it's now July and I still haven't heard back from my local CAB since enquiring in February and making several phone calls and three personal visits to reception. I phoned up again last week and was promised a return call from the manager but that didn't happen. I know I shouldn't take it as a personal rejection but I feel really offended that I am willing to offer my help and have to keep asking them to take me on, but they can't be bothered to reply even with a quick email. I am sure it is not indicative of all the CAB offices, I hope I'm just unlucky with my local one. Never mind, I shall persevere but will offer my free time to another organisation who really appreciates it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure