MSE News: Equifax unveils online statutory credit reports

Comments

• Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    Personally, I do not regard the online availability as something to be totally pleased about.
    As it says on the Equifax website (thanks jamesd) :
    "During the registration process we'll be asking you some questions to match against our records to prove you are who you say you are. It would help us if you have some of your financial information to hand, such as your mortgage details, credit and store cards, mobile phones, leases etc."

It is surely cheaper for Equifax to provide the information online rather than through the post. They also stand to get some extra info on you. I doubt that they had to be pushed into this.
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Going back to the article, I note that it says :
    "Access will be free for ID fraud victims and those receiving debt advice".
    How would Equifax know whether or not I am receiving debt advice?
    (Would it have to be via some official body, or could it include forums like the MSE ones?)

Most likely you'll only get it free through the CAB or other offical debt charity.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Going back to the article, I note that it says :
    "Access will be free for ID fraud victims and those receiving debt advice".
    How would Equifax know whether or not I am receiving debt advice?
    (Would it have to be via some official body, or could it include forums like the MSE ones?)
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    Most likely you'll only get it free through the CAB or other offical debt charity.

I want to know how this is going to work too.

Do CAB CCCS National debt line place any marker on your file when they are acting for a client or will it be reliant on a creditor making a note on the file? I can't see how they will verify that you are receiving debt advice.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• dougz_2
    dougz_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2010 at 8:30AM
    Personally, I do not regard the online availability as something to be totally pleased about.
    Agreed. The online viewing option sounds like another trick by Equifax to collect a wad of extra personal information that they might not have already, so that they can then sell it on to their business customers to use to pester me.

Which is the same reason I have never taken up their free 'credit rating' offers in the past.

I always apply for my reports giving the bare minimum identification info.

PS: The online ordering option looks dodgy too, why do they need my email address if they they are only sending the report by post?
  • Degenerate
    Degenerate Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2010 at 3:36AM
    Any word on Experian and Callcredit following this move? According to the article they should have followed by now, but I can't find the option anywhere on their websites.
  • PNPSUKNET wrote: »
    their goes their £6 a month rip off, or however much it costs these days. Bet they will limit it to 1 every 12 months

I just regisered and paid £2 for an on-line report and got nothing but a request to ring them befor they would send the report, i didn't ask to run up a phone bill, What a con.:(
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What a con

I don't think it's a con, but they do have to establish your identity.
    Would you be pleased if they gave your info to anybody??
    The problem is probably that they have been unable to identify you online. Perhaps they need to verify a potential spelling mistake.

Have you tried
    saynoto0870.com
    for an alternative phone number to save your phone bill
  • dougz wrote: »
    Agreed. The online viewing option sounds like another trick by Equifax to collect a wad of extra personal information that they might not have already, so that they can then sell it on to their business customers to use to pester me.

Which is the same reason I have never taken up their free 'credit rating' offers in the past.

I always apply for my reports giving the bare minimum identification info.

PS: The online ordering option looks dodgy too, why do they need my email address if they they are only sending the report by post?

When you have finished answering all their questions on-line you will not get a report, they will insist that you call them and run up a phone bill to get it. it's a government approved scam
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't know whether it's still availbale, but I get Equifax free on-line twice a year with Capital One.
  • Unfortunately, you cannot register for their online services, if you don't have 6 years of UK address history (you get stuck on the give me one more address screen)

And when asking about how to register in this case for online services, they try to make you give false information in specifying more than six years of address history... isn't specifying false data illegal in the first place?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure