I can't quite believe it's got this bad

Options

Comments

• Little_Miss_Frugal
    Options
    If your water is metered, couldn't you do a bit less washing ? I know it's the norm these days for people to throw everything in the machine every day, but it really isn't necessary. I wash light colours when they look grubby (usually after at least 2 wearings); I wash darks when I remember ! My clothes don't smell, I promise you.
    If you didn't do as much washing, you'd save on powder and also wouldn't have so much ironing, so would save electricty as well.

I have to say I agree with this. We are a family of 5 and the most I do is 1 load of washing a day. We all shower/bath every day so if it isn't dirty, it doesn't go in the washing basket.

LMF
    Total Debt: £[STRIKE]21539.04[/STRIKE] (Dec 2011):eek: £6089.10 = 71.73%:o DFD: December 2016:j
    Official DFW Nerd # 703 Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • kirsty99
    kirsty99 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    If you are thinking of changing energy suppliers, or using uswitch, or indeed hundreds of things online, have you thought about doing it through linemypocket? This is a cash back site, but the beauty of this one is that you don't have to wait until you have £25 to withdraw your cash. The minimum is £5. I have saved a lot of cash by getting in to the habit of going via this site for my online shopping, and got £17.50 by switching fuel supplier (and a cheaper bill into the bargain!). You can withdraw the money via paypal free of charge and then use it to throw at the debts or give yourself a treat. I put my cash withdrawals into a separate account and use it for a treat that I couldn't otherwise justify spending the money on. The web address is http://www.linemypocket.co.uk Send me a message if you would like a code that will give you a £5 bonus.
    Kirsty
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    wow...so many posts in such a few days!! Just wanted to say hi & welcome. You're on the right track. Yes it takes time, its not easy but the enormous feeling of relief is so much better than any purchase that you could make on the dreaded cc!! Trust me, I've been there. As others have said dont put it on your mort as you dont change soending. Much better to tackle it, learn & live a more stress free life - although am aware that there wil be lots going round your brain at the moment. Also look at sites like quidco/pigsback where you can get cashback or money for clicks. I used to live on processed food and now make all my own meals (easier tobatch cook as only 1 of me!!) & now dont thik I coud eat processed food...ugh! Homemade pizza is yummy (& you could involve the kids in making it - they'll love the mess!) & cheap. Big hugs
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• kellyplanet
    Options
    KatrinaC wrote:
    Just to be a complete pain in the ***e I'm going to re-order everything as it makes the sums easier :)

Water £26/Month
    Life Assurance £18/Month
    Council Tax £113/Month
    Dog Insurance £15/Month Do you really need to insure your dog?
    Washing Machine rental £13/MonthTake a look on Freecycle and try asking whether anyone has a washing machine free to a good home. Failing that, try looking on your local supermarket small ads boards.

Kat

I would NOT cancel the dog insurance. Shop about but don't cancel it. We made that mistake when we were moneysaving and then our cat was diagnosed with a brain tumor ( she was only three) and it cost £1500 to have all the scans and x-rays. Sadly she was put to sleep. Paying £10-£15 per month is a lot better then being hit with a bill for £1500. If you do switch policies DONT cancel the old one straight away as most policies have a clause in them that you can't claim within the first fortnight of the policy.
    :beer:
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Options
    Homemade pizza is yummy (& you could involve the kids in making it - they'll love the mess!) & cheap.

We made homemade pizza for the very first time today. Kids ate every bit, and it was far better than anything you can buy in the shops :j
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • Abee_3
    Options
    Just one point about insuring the dog. You might pay to cover vets bills etc too but you mention covering it for any damage it causes. Your home contents insurance would normally cover that at no extra charge, check, you should have something called occupiers/household liability cover or something similar which covers things like the dog biting the postman as well as visitors being injured on your property etc.
  • queenofholidays
    Options
    I think you said you were with Yorkshire Water - I found this on their website

c) We will read your meter at least once a year. Otherwise we will pay you £20 automatically. We aim to read your meter twice a year. If we cannot gain access, we will use your own reading, if you provide one.

If they could gain access then check that they gave you the £20 each time - your underpayment really should have been picked up by them. It is totally unrealistic of them to expect you to pay a ridiculous sum each month to catch back up so offer them as little as you can. Really push the fact that they haven't read your meter as often as they should have done and you might find that they will write some of it off (or allow you to pay it off in a more realistic timeframe). If you get no joy on the phone write in to the Chief Exec. I find that on the odd occasion I have done this letters to them often have quicker and better results!

Good luck x
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with the poster who suggested involving your teenagers - do they have any part-time jobs/paper-rounds etc? Could they contribute a small amount of their earnings to the household - maybe they could be responsible or the dogs insurance costs? :rolleyes: I know this doesn't sound like much fun to a teenager who has a million and one trendier other things to spend their money on but it would be a valuable lesson for their future.

I hope I don't sound patronising, I don't mean to if I do!! My partner left me and our 2 year old son 12 months ago. I worry every day about how we'll cope financially and -touch wood- at the moment we aren't in debt (other than a mortgage), but the best piece of advice I have been given is not to spoil my son to make up for his missing father but rather to teach him the value of money and if that means he can't have every toy he asks for then so be it, far better to let him learn to work for stuff !! He was 3 last week and if anyone asked what to get him I asked them to just buy a token gift (ie. choccy buttons) for him to open and to put the rest of the money into his savings account. He still had a ridiculous amount of presents but also has a nice sum in his bank for when he really needs it one day.;)

Anyway, am rambling now, but good luck, keep posting, and who needs magazine subscriptions anyway when you can have mse!!!:D
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP

get freeview and its free, have you tried shopping at aldi/lidl

benbenandme

i think kids do learn about the value of money if they are told enough times that they cant have every toy they see
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • beanybop
    beanybop Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Hello there

everyone has been so helpful and positive, and made so many great suggestions, that I can only think of two extra ones

Low energy lightbulbs - get one for the light you use most, and buy an extra one each month - I am sure that someone offers a couple of free ones, but I do not remember the criteria

Lentil and bacon soup - make your own - it costs almost nothing and is so much nicer than the shop bought muck - just red lentils, a few stock cubes (the asda ones are cheap, as are Lidl) and a couple of slices of bacon chopped up, bring to the boil and simmer until cooked.

You can make it part of the family ethos to hunt for bargains - my family is not so strapped for cash, but we love buying clothes for £2.00 from Primark etc. just need to cut the labels out if they bother you (the quality is really OJ if you are careful what you get) . Charity shops used to be a regular haunt, but they are getting a little too expensive now, primark can be cheaper.

Getting shopping online may cost in delivery, but you do not do the impulse buying, and you also save petrol. It costs us more to get to Asda in petrol, than Tesco charges for a delivery.

Before you go shopping look in all the cupboards, and do a menu for the week from what is already there, if you need other bits and bobs, fresh veg etc. then do a list, and only take enough money with you to pay for what is on the list.

Quite often what we buy when shopping is due to lack of menu planning - wel it is in my case - go through a few recipe books, and get a whole pile of recipes together - say a couple of dozen - and then you will not get so bored that you buy ready made (expensive) meals.

Well that seems a few more than 2 suggestions, I hope some of them appeal to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure