Sphynx Cat

Doublespresso
Doublespresso Posts: 819 Forumite
edited 27 February 2010 at 1:35AM in Pets & pet care
We are thinking of getting a Sphynx cat and need some advice...

Where to get one from? (in the MSE spirit :o)
What to expect in terms of keeping it and looking after it?
Should we get a male or a female?
Are they suitable for living in a flat with a small outside space?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    SPHYNX CAT ASSOCIATION
    The Sphynx Cat Breed Club operates a national rehome & welfare service for the breed.
    Areas covered - Country wide.
    Tel: 07980 014166
    Fax: 01952 820399
    Eamil: [EMAIL="info@sphynxcatassociation.co.uk"]info@sphynxcatassociation.co.uk[/EMAIL]

SPHYNX: POSH PUSS RESCUE (Pedigrees)
    Based in Porthleven, Cornwall, but can take cats in from other areas provided they can be transported to the rescue.
    Rescue and rehoming for life of pedigree cats in crisis. Siamese, Burmese, Persians, Havanas, etc, Seniors welcome. Posh Puss will take in homeless pedigrees following bereavements and other unforseen circumstances, or from other rescues who are over-full. Cats are adopted out where possible, but un-homeable cats may live out their lives here. Cats receive plenty of love and daily grooming, and veterinary history is kept. The rescue only deals with a small number of cats at any one time, please email if you could offer a loving home (forever homes only, contracts signable), or if you need to rehome your pedigree cat. Posh Puss supports ex owners with loss and can provide updates on progress of cats after rehoming for the ex owners.
    Tel: 01326 560536
    Email: [EMAIL="jan@poshpussrescue.org"]jan@poshpussrescue.org[/EMAIL]
    Web address: www.poshpussrescue.org

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/pedigree.html
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • lowis
    lowis Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i'm interested to know why the sphynx? have you experience of these cats? if not then i hope you know what you are letting yourself in for - they are VERY high maintenance cats (you have to wash them regularly as their skin gets very greasy) and they are prone to quite a large variety of illnesses - you are in effect buying a cat with known possible inbred defects. they also ned to be kept warm all the time.

if you are getting one because someone you know is allergic to cats please be aware that they will also be allergic to this cat - it is a myth that these do not cause reactions in people.
  • Doublespresso
    edited 27 February 2010 at 6:14PM
    Thanks for the mostly constructive comments, the reason for posting in the first place was to get advice from others before embarking on this long term commitment which, evidently, we do not take lightly.

We'd appreciate more advice and/or comments on the subject. Thank you.
  • lowis
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the mostly constructive comments, the reason for posting in the first place was to get advice from others before embarking on this long term commitment which, evidently, we do not take lightly.

We'd appreciate more advice and/or comments on the subject. Thank you.

i hope i haven't upset you - not sure which comments were not constructive but maybe the comments i have made are not what you want to hear - but i assume you were aware of these issues anyway, as it sounds like you are researching fairly thoroughly.
  • Doublespresso
    edited 28 February 2010 at 1:05AM
    lowis wrote: »
    i hope i haven't upset you - .
    No,not at all, and I'm grateful for your contribution, but I really don't want to turn this into a personal issue.

We simply posted on this forum asking for advice about Sphynx cats and would welcome others who are in the know to post more replies/comments to this thread.

Thanks again.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    To be fair it's difficult to give advice when nobody knows what you do and do not know about the breed, what your situation and motivations are. In your OP you asked "What to expect in terms of keeping it and looking after it?"

Lowis explained "you have to wash them regularly as their skin gets very greasy) and they are prone to quite a large variety of illnesses - you are in effect buying a cat with known possible inbred defects. they also ned to be kept warm all the time."

Sounds like a relevant and constructive response to me?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • I'd call the breed club posted & ask or go to cat shows & meet breeders if you insist on this breed
  • lowis
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i also forgot to mention that they are incredibly fussy eaters due to being prone to food allergies. a friend has two and they have been through a multitude of foods trying to find one which didn't make them throw up.

i echo Tiger Lily's advice, call the Breed club, ask lots of questions, and spend time with a local breeder and the cats if at all possible.
  • Hi doublexpresso

Have you had cats before? If so then I think you are looking for advice on how a sphynx differs from a regular cat?

I haven't had one, however I believe from reading books etc that they are better kept indoors so living in a flat shouldn't be a problem. I have had indoor cats before and made sure they had several cat playcentres to plan and exercise on.

Have you "met" a sphynx, if not then it might be worth finding a friendly owner to go and talk to. I have petted them at cat shows, their skin feels nice, like velvet.

Seems like they might feel the cold, I have seen picturs of them in little woollen jumpers!

Cheers
    Alex
  • foreign_correspondent
    foreign_correspondent Posts: 9,542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2010 at 12:17PM
    I have heard that they leave brown greasy smears all over the place (even when bathed weekly apparently!) due to their greasy skin picking up dirt.. I have to say, a bald, greasy cat sounds like my personal idea of hell... (no offence, but they do give me the creeps, as they look like they have something wrong with them - they remind me of very sick cats with mange etc)

They are the result of breeding from a genetic mutation - being hairless is not the best way for a cat to be for survival purposes (the lovely soft fur of a moggy is far preferable for the cat!) so many are kept as indoor cats as they have no protection from the elements and sunburn or become hypothermic easily.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure