March 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2010 at 10:01PM in Old Style MoneySaving
998 replies 74.3K views

Replies

• Hi Folks,

Well march was a good month, and the monthly food plan defo help.

Declaring now for £85.31 so under budget by £14.69.

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) £25938.84; Current £23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 £128.47/£6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 £443.86/£15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft £0/£2500 (0%)
  • Hi everyone, I came in quite a bit under budget this month and surprised myself so will be lowering again for April, slowly but surely. :D

£149.48
    was my final total for March.

Cupboards and freezer and fridge looking a bit sparse so will have to stock up in next couple of days.

See you all on April thread!
    All the coffee in Columbia won't make me a morning person... :D:p
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge Member #5 - £128.19
    NSDs - April 9/18
    Grocery Challenge - April £22.94/£160
    6 months to slim into clothes challenge - started March 2010
  • tranquil_2tranquil_2 Forumite
    115 Posts
    Well, my final total for the month was £412.38 slightly over my target (by £12.38). Went shopping yesterday so that pushed me over but it was food for this month!

Will pop over and say hello on the new thread. x
  • KITTY_2-2KITTY_2-2 Forumite
    263 Posts
    Declaring my March spend at £275.79.

Didn't spend anything from last Sunday to Tuesday so pleased with keeping the overspend down to £25.79.

April will be better as will be using up lots of freezer stuff while kids and I are home for a week.

Good luck all for April. See you over on that thread. K x
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • Winged_oneWinged_one Forumite
    610 Posts
    Yay, I made it to the end of the month without spending any more money!!

I know I have stocking up to do on certain things in April though, so it won't be as good as I had hoped.

Oh, and I finally used up the last portion of breaded fish from the freezer last night as I was home alone for dinner (with a half portion of Lidl oven chips - it was even a tasty dinner for all that it was "fast food" and convenience).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • lizboblizbob Forumite
    128 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    49 last night in Mr S but thats all the wine, soft drinks and dry goods done for the month so should only need to top up with fresh veg, fruit and milk now.
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Declaring for March at £234.47 which is a saving of £45.53 :D:j:D

Thank you all, we couldn't have done this without the mighty support on this thread. Have already set April budget at £260 but we'll have to see how it goes with OH birthday and time off in this month though for me the month is 4 days shorter than March so heres hoping.

Very chuffed with the NSD too. Set a target of 16/34 and achieved 21/34 so set the target a little higher for April at 18/30 and hope to beat that one too.

Thanks all, good luck for the new month and see you over on the April thread.
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    chuffed to bits to declare £218 - under budget by £132! Am amazed - though had some stocks in the freezer and owe my butcher £15 as he'd shut the till when I went to collect my order! Making bread has saved me a fortune and some good yellow sticker finds have really helped - I feel inspired!

Meal plan for next month done, asda order come in at £75 for the month with butchers shop and veg top ups all I need.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    rachbc wrote: »
    chuffed to bits to declare £218 - under budget by £132! Am amazed - though had some stocks in the freezer and owe my butcher £15 as he'd shut the till when I went to collect my order! Making bread has saved me a fortune and some good yellow sticker finds have really helped - I feel inspired!

Meal plan for next month done, asda order come in at £75 for the month with butchers shop and veg top ups all I need.

Wow :T Congratulations! What a fantastic achievement :money:
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • KornishkatKornishkat Forumite
    83 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the support and ideas on this thread I have completed my 1st ever grocery challenge and came in within my budget which amazed me! My final total spend for March £318.36. Well done everyone especially rachb :T. By the way which is your favourite bread recipe, is it one from the recipe section on MSE? I make my dough in the BM then bake in the oven but always seem to end up with really dense bread - if I can only figure where I'm going wrong I could save more on bread too, as it is i have to buy bread for the rest of the family and only I eat the hm stuff :(. Anyway, see you all over in April GC :)
    Back on the money saving wagon again!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides