Try Me Free Hunt - Please check post 2 for current offers

Comments

• funnyguy
    funnyguy Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    I personally don,t think dormouse comments about sending to differant addresses is in the spirit of moneysaving. This site is not about ripping companies off ,but saving money for people..the more people who do this sort of thing the more likely the companies will stop this sort of promotion.Its up to each persons conscience to lie saying they don<t like a product even if they think its good,but its another thing to recommend that other people deceive the companies...
  • Dormouse
    Dormouse Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    funnyguy wrote:
    I personally don,t think dormouse comments about sending to differant addresses is in the spirit of moneysaving. This site is not about ripping companies off ,but saving money for people..the more people who do this sort of thing the more likely the companies will stop this sort of promotion.Its up to each persons conscience to lie saying they don<t like a product even if they think its good,but its another thing to recommend that other people deceive the companies...
    Do you really think me claiming £2 twice instead of once is going to cripple huge international companies? :rotfl:

I personally don't know anyone else who does TMFs: my friends and family just can't be bothered. On a national level, I don't think we're talking huge numbers of consumers that take up these offers - we're talking minute percentages!

You must bear in mind that even though there might be hundreds of people on MSE who do this, we probably constitute the majority of people who claim TMFs back!

And let's go back to the fact that companies are not stupid; they do this as part of their marketing and they know what they're doing. They've done their research and they have an approximate idea of how many people are going to participate in their promotion.

Companies have thought this through. They're not giving out free products out of goodness of their hearts, you know. Plus they're getting valuable feedback on their products.

I am not feeling guilty in the slightest for doing this - you don't have to if you don't feel comfortable.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i agree with dormouse.....at the end of the day most products are produced by global companies....which if you actually look at how many products/companies that are owned by a handful of mother companies....and are making billions of pounds globally....they also like the big supermarkets squeeze .....the smaller producer/supplier that supply them...i do want to mention certain groups.companies... but better not just incase its again mse rules......but i think you know what i'm getting at.......
    my attitude is if they offer it take it......as if you calculate how much money you have put into their profit purse over the years.....manufacturer's and supermarkets....its a lot of money... so having a few pounds back which they say you can claim if you want.....is not even going to make a slightest dent or blip in their overall profits.......so no i dont feel guilty at all......
    Work to live= not live to work
  • broomstick27
    broomstick27 Posts: 303 Forumite
    agree with above two posts but one further point :

the companies produce a limited number of the product with tmf labels. They should be prepared for the "worst case scenario" that every one will be claimed otherwise they should not do it.
    Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
  • cousinjack_2
    cousinjack_2 Posts: 856 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    agree with above two posts but one further point :
    and another point, some companies appear to put their prices up prior to the tmf promotion you just have to look at ecover washing powder as an example that is why so many people from the tesco thread on quick grabbit while you can have been getting the product for free from tesco without the hassle of writing letters!:rotfl: :T
  • smid29
    smid29 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Most TMF / Taste Guarantee promotions (the ones with Aylesbury, Preston, and MKM addresses at least) are administered by promotional companies within the Mando group.

Mando are the only promotions company who charge a manufacturer a "fixed fee" to administer a promotion. So, with a 'Taste Guarantee' for example, their cost to a manufacturer will be the same whether they get 10 refund applications or 10,000.

Take a look at the Mando website - https://www.mando.co.uk - to see how they work. If you click on Case Studies, there are specific categories for Try Me Free, Taste Guarantee, Taste Challenge, Quality Guarantee etc. and some of them make interesting reading. One extract, for example:

"Working with the brand’s agency, Mando introduced a number of barriers to entry to allow the campaign to run within the budget requirements. These barriers included five questions to be answered, including a statement of not less than 20 words.

The consumer also had just 14 days from date of purchase to claim their refund. This was a novel introduction to the TMF arena and enabled Mando to agree a one-off fixed payment well below the total financial liability of this promotion."

Given that they seem to deliberately want to make it as difficult as possible for us to take part in these offers (but we knew that anyway!!), I must admit that I often rise to the challenge when they're involved. After all, it's them who have to pay out rather than the manufacturer, and they'd make a whole heap of cash at the expense of the manufacturer themselves if no-one took up the offer ;) . Nothing more than playing them at their own game as far as I'm concerned - they're such "experts" in the field, and have been for years now, that I'm sure they factor in every possible scenario before giving a fixed quote to the company concerned.
  • Dormouse
    smid29 wrote:
    Given that they seem to deliberately want to make it as difficult as possible for us to take part in these offers (but we knew that anyway!!), I must admit that I often rise to the challenge when they're involved.
    An excellent example of this is the Scotch-Brite promotion at the moment - run by these guys - how difficult are those T&Cs?! :eek: Sending them a scourer/cloth back - what is that all about??? :confused:

But I am seriously thinking about doing it, mainly just out of principle. :cool: And I will take enormous pleasure in enclosing a stinky used kitchen cloth :rotfl:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i have just finished doing the ecover one... so i read it over a few times.. so i changed my writting paper to a " plain " piece of paper... so didnt used my posh lined one.....
    i wrote that i didnt like ecover as i felt my clothes were not properly cleaned... but i also put a positive in there saying that i did love the cardboard measuring scoop...and also i put a big yes....to be contacted by ecover with product info and special offers...

as you say its worth reading the return instructions carefully, as they might have refused to send the money to my on the grounds that i used lined paper...instead of plain.....

so when i get the money back, i will send off another one in mums name and address..

and tomorrow its the surf one thats going to be targetted....:D

i hope that discussion is allowed on this thread as well....if not sorry...
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hi.. just about to phone the surf washing line to try and claim my money back.... as anyone done this, and what questions diid they ask ?
    thanks...:T
  • Dormouse
    hi.. just about to phone the surf washing line to try and claim my money back.... as anyone done this, and what questions diid they ask ?
    thanks...:T
    They just ask you what the problem is (and sound very surprised when you say that their washing powder doesn't remove something :rolleyes:). They'll also ask for a code from the box. Nothing too horrible! ;)

Good luck. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport