We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Looking for a New Laptop
Comments
-
hi guys new to this forum stuff, just asking where I submit any queries, I downloaded the 0870 softwear to my blackbery but wont let me do anything only type in the tel number, any help?
Cheers.0 -
Is the Toshiba Satellite L450D-113 15.6" Widescreen Laptop any good? Seen it at PC world, it comes with
- AMD Sempron processor Si-42<LI class=indentFeature>(2.1Ghz, 512kb Cache)
- [URL="javascript:showEditorial('Genuine-Windows');"]Genuine Windows (R) 7 Home Premium[/URL]
- 3GB Memory
- 250GB hard drive
0 -
or actually maybe more keen on the Asus X5DIJ-SX313V 15.6" Widescreen Laptop, which has
- Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 Processor<LI class=indentFeature>(2.2GHz, 800MHz, 1MB Cache) mhz
- [URL="javascript:showEditorial('Genuine-Windows');"]Genuine Windows (R) 7 Home Premium[/URL]
- 3GB Memory
- 320 GB Hard Drive
0 -
Most laptops are good... it's whether they are good for the price. So can you let us know how much and we will advise you0
-
I'm also in the market for a new laptop. The old one has very little hard disk space left but I'll use it to connect to my router.
Anyway here is the top 6 laptos under £600 according to Which? the consumer people. The percentage mark is what each laptop scored on their test bench.
Dell Studio 17 new version £599 75%
DellStudio 15 £499 74%
Dell Inspiron 15 £499 73%
Dell Inspiron 17 £449 71 %
Acer Aspire 7735Z £485 typical price 70%
Acer Aspire 7538G-664G32Mn £511.35 Best price 70%
As a matter of interest their overall best buy was the DellStudio XPS 16 coming in at £819. It's the first time I can recall that an Apple didn't top their table. The Apple MacBook retailing at £799 only came in third.
If I can supply any additional info let me know. As a matter of interest can someone tell me what is the difference between Dell Studio range and Dell Inspiron range?
At the moment I'm looking at the Dell Studio 15 and the Dell Inspiron 15 and 17 which all seem to be the one price. Wonder why?0 -
Just been in contact with Dell online assistance told the rep that I was interested in the Studio 15 and the Inspiron 15. Advised me that their deals change every Thursday so I said email me and if he gives me a good deal I'll do business with him. Will be interesting to see if he can add to what Dell will offer online0
-
It's all about the about the specification. £400 is only cheap for a laptop if the spec is right. When I have a bit more time I'll take a closer look at the spec for you0
-
hello,
Very interesting reading and sorry to tag onto this thread
But I too am looking for my first laptop purchase.
I run a small business (very small!) and have just launched an online shop/website.
I do a lot of web browsing and use my PC most of the day for business obviously using the usual Office software and storing images etc.
I would (eventually!) like to learn how to download videos, music etc but my technical knowledge is limited
Hence why I am on here asking for help - before I go walking into a deal that sounds better than it is!
As I said I do a lot of browsing and my PC is my office so I need all the usual...fast, reliable, lots of memory, latest software, preferably with internal DVD writer, security, etc etc!
My budget is upto/around £450 (is that possible for all I need?/I did say small business and I'm hoping the sale of the PC I have now will go towards funding my new purchase!)
I have exhausted myself searching and being bamboozled with all the technical jargon, so I was hoping by reading the responses on here that there is somone that wouldn't mind advising me as to what they think would be a good choice for me.
I have been looking at a Dell Inspiron 17 (N0075003) - but am under the impression Dell is not that popular amongst those in the know ?
Anyway, any help for your advcie would be greatly appreciated - and thank you for your time in reading my post.0 -
Sadly it looks like the ''Extra Value'' laptop from Ebuyer, has been withdrawn from sale!:(
Anyone else got any similar suggestions?:)Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for the whole cow.0 -
If you are looking for cheap laptops the following sites are amongst the cheapest I have found:
http://www.dabs.co.uk
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk
http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk
http://www.ebuyer.co.uk
You should find something amongst those to suit your budget.
Some of these do refurbished models too so if you are on a really tight budget these may be worth looking at. Although be wary of battery life of some used laptops as this is the thing that usually goes first if not looked after properly.
I recommend Intel Processors as they seem to be a bit quicker nowadays. Also try and get at least 3GB of RAM for good Windows 7 Performance.
Graphics doesn't matter unless you are going to play games so don't worry about that.
As far as brands are concerned - my favourites are Lenovo, Toshiba and ASUS. Acer are okay but not as well made as the other brands I mentioned.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards