Please advise - it's all gone SO wrong

Options

Comments

• shopaholic2639
    Options
    Mike,
    I cant say I have read the 'entire' thread for this but I did read your original post & a few towards the end. I am amazed, outstanded, & admire your strength. You have said you have felt like giving up, but you havent & you have done so much considering all the problems you have been faced with.
    I watched the C5 'Cowboy Builders' last night & felt astonished by what one person can get away with. The government needs to do something more to control these type of people that go from one person to another destroying their lives. If a Doctor, Police Officer, Soldier etc broke the rules they would be seriously punished. Why not cowboy builders etc??
    You deserve all the help you can get, along with everyone else on here I wish you so much luck. If my partner & I lived closer we would offer a helping hand, he is an excellent Labourer & would never dream of doing anything like that to anyone!!
    I keep my fingers crossed that I will see you one day on the TV getting whats rightfully yours & as for Mr Bridle.....What Goes Around Comes Around!!!!!!
  • lisawaters
    lisawaters Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2010 at 4:38PM
    Options
    Mike,
    I cant say I have read the 'entire' thread for this but I did read your original post & a few towards the end. I am amazed, outstanded, & admire your strength. You have said you have felt like giving up, but you havent & you have done so much considering all the problems you have been faced with.
    I watched the C5 'Cowboy Builders' last night & felt astonished by what one person can get away with. The government needs to do something more to control these type of people that go from one person to another destroying their lives. If a Doctor, Police Officer, Soldier etc broke the rules they would be seriously punished. Why not cowboy builders etc??
    You deserve all the help you can get, along with everyone else on here I wish you so much luck. If my partner & I lived closer we would offer a helping hand, he is an excellent Labourer & would never dream of doing anything like that to anyone!!
    I keep my fingers crossed that I will see you one day on the TV getting whats rightfully yours & as for Mr Bridle.....What Goes Around Comes Around!!!!!!

Awww, thanks for that!

Sadly the courts are under pressure from the Government to act in certain ways. This is not a problem just with bad builders, but with anyone who owes you money. Under a certain amount, they WILL get away with it, as they will if they only get 'caught' occasionally. The police aren't interested in the small stuff because they haven't got the resources, anyway it's not currently 'criminal' activity. In the future we will all just have to look out for ourselves and forget hoping for support from 'the law'. It's a bit depressing. The pendulum has swung too far in favour of lawbreakers and their rights, and is still moving. I can't see anything will change in the foreseeable future. Changing laws is a slow problem (unless it suits MPs in which case it happens overnight. We're being nannied by governments, but they look away if anyone's having problems they don't think are 'cool' or vote winners.

I'm not into all that stuff, but I can see that we all will have to wise up a lot. If anyone wants money up front, I would walk away and find someone else. Not always possible with big companies, but whoever's got the money in their account when the game finishes, wins. I'm impressed by the number of good builders and their spouses who have posted here, and I am on their side too. Builders are just the current popular target. I can't think of any other group of people to whom we will feel paying two or three years' salary to, on trust, to do something for us.

I could probably have written this 100 years ago. Looking after yourself is not the same as helping yourself.
  • shopaholic2639
    Options
    lisawaters wrote: »
    Awww, thanks for that!

Sadly the courts are under pressure from the Government to act in certain ways. This is not a problem just with bad builders, but with anyone who owes you money. Under a certain amount, they WILL get away with it, as they will if they only get 'caught' occasionally. The police aren't interested in the small stuff because they haven't got the resources, anyway it's not currently 'criminal' activity. In the future we will all just have to look out for ourselves and forget hoping for support from 'the law'. It's a bit depressing. The pendulum has swung too far in favour of lawbreakers and their rights, and is still moving. I can't see anything will change in the foreseeable future. Changing laws is a slow problem (unless it suits MPs in which case it happens overnight. We're being nannied by governments, but they look away if anyone's having problems they don't think are 'cool' or vote winners.

I'm not into all that stuff, but I can see that we all will have to wise up a lot. If anyone wants money up front, I would walk away and find someone else. Not always possible with big companies, but whoever's got the money in their account when the game finishes, wins. I'm impressed by the number of builders and their spouses who have posted here, and I am on their side too. Builders are just the current popular target.

I could probably have written this 100 years ago. Looking after yourself is not the same as helping yourself.

Sadly Mike you are so right!! Its every man/woman for their own & it seems it will just get worse not better. I am like you & I used to believe everyone was a decent human being, especially when you are excited about something that you want so much. Your vunrable & the bad pray on vunrable people. What amazes me is that you seem so level headed & although you are in a terrible position currently, you seem to be able to focus on the future. Good people do prosper eventually as do the bad get their punishment eventually. I am a great believer in that & its got me through some terrible times also. Stay strong!
  • lisawaters
    Options
    Sadly Mike you are so right!! Its every man/woman for their own & it seems it will just get worse not better. I am like you & I used to believe everyone was a decent human being, especially when you are excited about something that you want so much. Your vunrable & the bad pray on vunrable people. What amazes me is that you seem so level headed & although you are in a terrible position currently, you seem to be able to focus on the future. Good people do prosper eventually as do the bad get their punishment eventually. I am a great believer in that & its got me through some terrible times also. Stay strong!

"you seem so level headed"

Appearances can be deceptive. Trust me on this. :)

"the bad get their punishment eventually"

Not always, but they still think they're winners. In a way, they are. But you just hope you don't meet too many of them. Every good garden has weeds, as they say.

x
  • shopaholic2639
    Options
    "you seem so level headed"

Appearances can be deceptive. Trust me on this. :)

"the bad get their punishment eventually"

Not always, but they still think they're winners. In a way, they are. But you just hope you don't meet too many of them. Every good garden has weeds, as they say.

x

I think your punishing yourself too much...take the compliment as your messages on here come across focussed, level headed & you have learnt from this terrible situation. Which is the main thing in my book! Let the bad people of this world think they're winners, its only them that will think it! Its inevitable that if you keep being 'bad' eventually it will catch up with you, the same as a thief, they can steel 100 times but eventually they will be caught :)
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    What she said.

x

Mike i pmed Martin Lewis himself about the update (i pmed him before to ask him to advise you where possible at the very start) and he has replied :)
    He is really pleased DIY and the others have shown an interest and is hoping the forum is mentioned but feels it may be unlikely!:(

I think it would be absolutely fab if it was as without this forum and support you wouldn`t have the support during those dark days/nights nor `maybe` the outcomes that have happened! I think the emails certainly helped Mr Knight get interested:rotfl:

:jStill over the moon:j
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • lisawaters
    edited 14 April 2010 at 6:46PM
    Options
    Mike i pmed Martin Lewis himself about the update (i pmed him before to ask him to advise you where possible at the very start) and he has replied :)
    He is really pleased DIY and the others have shown an interest and is hoping the forum is mentioned but feels it may be unlikely!:(

I think it would be absolutely fab if it was as without this forum and support you wouldn`t have the support during those dark days/nights nor `maybe` the outcomes that have happened! I think the emails certainly helped Mr Knight get interested:rotfl:

:jStill over the moon:j

You may well be right.

TV producers have a very clear view of what they will and won't include in a programme and if they have all the facts, they will make their decision.

I also agree that my application to be featured on DIY SOS would have been lost in the background noise were it not for the storm of e-mails sent by forum members. I have built a good relationship with one of the other programmes, and hope to do the same with the one that re-emerged yesterday as being possibly interested. Mass e-mailing is a powerful weapon which we need to use sparingly and as part of a planned approach. Each programme has a different remit and a different audience profile. They might seem similar but have to offer a different approach or 'brand' to attract and retain sufficient viewers for the broadcaster.

x

emails.jpg
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been away for a few days without internet access. Soooooo happy to be home and able to catch up with the news.
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
    Three programmes showing an interest in just amazing, well done everybody!!!
    :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
    :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T

They might seem similar but have to offer a different approach or 'brand' to attract and retain sufficient viewers for the broadcaster.

Well, they could all gain new viewers from the MSE Peeps, we would be happy to support them if they sort out our pal Mike and The Dolls House :D
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • Hootie19
    Hootie19 Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 April 2010 at 9:38PM
    Options
    I am so pleased to read of the latest move forward for you Mike. If a new email campaign is needed (hopefully not) I will be more than happy to join in again.

Hopefully there is finally light at the end of the tunnel, and for once, it's not a train coming in the opposite direction. If things go well, you won't have to face another winter in an unfinished house, but will be snug and cosy in a chocolate box cottage.

You'll just be wondering how to get rid of the queue of MSE houseguests lining up at the door
    :D:D:D
  • SouthernBellE*
    SouthernBellE* Posts: 578 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2010 at 3:42PM
    Options
    I think you've had a very lucky escape honey! ;)

I Can't believe the man is still taking or quoting private jobs and it took a lot of effort on Mikes part to get his name out there, I'm sure the GIT will carry on ruining lives and homes until the law stops him! :(
    Yeah. And Bridle's a GIT too... :o

x

:doh:

Silly AR5e!...:rotfl:

Bodger Builder Mr Bridle is of course the GIT, silly me for missing the opportunity to name him again! :cool:
    PROUD MEMBER OF

MIKE'S :cool: MOB!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family