Faulty sofa from furniture village.

Options

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    judyb wrote: »
    It is illegal to sell something as leather which is not - no matter when this was. As long as you prove it is not leather then you should have a case. Testing can be done on a small sample if you can get one and a report will state that it is not leather.
    Hope this helps
    Judyb

Not necessary to test (you do sometimes sound like you're touting for business with your 'many cases won' comments) - fv know they missold and they will make an offer - it's going to be lowball but it has been nearly 8 years.

You don't need to get them to admit it was missold, call them give them the info and ask the branch manager to call you back to discuss. They will, they know they got it wrong, now your need to be REASONABLY persistent.

There's money in it for sure, the fact is no matter how long you've had it they miss described it - illegally so.
  • londonbabe73
    londonbabe73 Posts: 186 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2013 at 5:59PM
    Options
    Bought 2 scala sofas from fb in April 2007 as like everyone else have started having peeling problem googled how to repair and came across this !!!

Have sent an email stright to the CEO Peter Harrison am not prepared to waste my time with store managers I want a full refund and have demanded as much as it was not was I was sold , I expect a leather sofa to last at least 10-15 years, which is why I paid more if I had known I would have gone to dfs and paid £300 but at least I would know what I paid for.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • londonbabe73
    Options
    Just to update got a response from fv cs this morning saying their v sorry ad as I've had it 6 years they can help me. Fired an email starlight back to CEO basically advising that this is a breech of contract not warranty issue and I expect a full refund in 30 days. or small claims , have no issue submitting a claim as I go to court for my job but the last time I had to do this over another matter as soon as you send a copy of the files court papers its enough to get their attn and a cheq usually swiftly follows.

Have asked them not to waste my time going back and forth about an issue they are clearly aware of and have been settling with customers so watch this space am sure they will push it back but hey ho its all good am not interested in a replacement they mis sold once so as far as I'm concerned am going straight to John Lewis.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2013 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Just to update got a response from fv cs this morning saying their v sorry ad as I've had it 6 years they can help me. Fired an email starlight back to CEO basically advising that this is a breech of contract not warranty issue and I expect a full refund in 30 days. or small claims , have no issue submitting a claim as I go to court for my job but the last time I had to do this over another matter as soon as you send a copy of the files court papers its enough to get their attn and a cheq usually swiftly follows.

Have asked them not to waste my time going back and forth about an issue they are clearly aware of and have been settling with customers so watch this space am sure they will push it back but hey ho its all good am not interested in a replacement they mis sold once so as far as I'm concerned am going straight to John Lewis.
    Careful.

You have no right to a remedy after six years.

Unless you have a (say) 10 year guarantee.

Edited to add:
    Do you live in Scotland*?
    If so, I believe you can claim for up to five years after discovering the problem.

*but with a name like yours, I imagine not. ;)
  • londonbabe73
    Options
    Am absolutely hopping when I finally found the paperwork today the suite was actually the alexis ( originally thought it was scala as they look almost identical ) . They fv are claiming it was sold as bi cast leather ( as far as I was concerned I paid £1400 for 2 leather sofa not pleather ) but interestingly I note it doesn't actually state leather at all on my receipt it just says alexis sofas.

So I guess they have had one over on me I've got a sofa that is peeling apart note to self just go to DFS and get a cheap one it was a complete waste of money.

Has anyone secure a refund from the alexis sofas ? feel done over like a kipper.

Email back from cs offering 20% off their sale prices not even if it was free.
  • londonbabe73
    Options
    Got a snotty email from the operations director basically telling me that it was sold as coated leather , I found an old advert and it clearly states the sofas as leather it even has a leather kite mark on the picture and when I checked my paperwork no where does it say bi cast or coated leather so I guess it's game back on , I sent an equally snotty response stating the above and I would like refund in 30 days or I will be sending a letter before action for their ceo's attn.

So watch this space I guess anyone who has any feedback re getting a refund on an alexis suite or has any other adverts or anything please message me !!!
  • londonbabe73
    Options
    Just an update found original paperwork as well as a handy leaflet for my scala sofa bed and alexis sofa which clearly states 100% leather with the leather mark. Have sent a copy to the CEO if no response then I will proceed to court as it is clearly misdescription bang to rights.
  • iggyzigy
    Options
    I bought a alexis sofa from FV in 2006. The hole lot cost £1800. Its now peeling big time. Thought it was wear and tear till I sore this on the net. I rang them today and was told it was never sold to me a leather one.
    Which is mad as I have a receipt saying its leather and a brochure stating its 100 percent leather. Whats the best action to take now. As FV just say your 5 year guarantee is up. But shorly it against trade descriptions act.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    iggyzigy wrote: »
    I bought a alexis sofa from FV in 2006. The hole lot cost £1800. Its now peeling big time. Thought it was wear and tear till I sore this on the net. I rang them today and was told it was never sold to me a leather one.
    Which is mad as I have a receipt saying its leather and a brochure stating its 100 percent leather. Whats the best action to take now. As FV just say your 5 year guarantee is up. But shorly it against trade descriptions act.

A claim against the retailer must be made within six years of the purchase.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    iggyzigy wrote: »
    Yes, I read that the first time. ;)

Please re-read my post between your two posts.

Just to add, if you live in Scotland things might be slightly different.
    Are you in Scotland?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure