children, ADHD and DLA..do you receive it & what do you use it for?

Options

Comments

• angelheart-xx
    angelheart-xx Posts: 129 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2010 at 7:33PM
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    The point about the 3 months and 6 months is that you can't claim DLA for temporary conditions. So you can't claim until the 'need' for DLA has been there for at least 3 months, and you must at that point expect the 'need' for DLA to be there for at least another 6 months. It's always unrelated to diagnosis, but I guess many people don't realise there is anything to claim for before diagnosis, and the professionals telling you about DLA might not think to make the point that as long as the 'need' has already been there for at least 3 months you can put your claim in straight away.

I hope that makes sense.

yeah think so lol
    thanks so much
    mother of 3 great kids (well they do try lol)
    1 girl age 17 (who has adhd and dyslexia)

2 boys age 13 autistic and 14 year old ADHD/ODD /COLOR]
    :A
    :T i have won tickets to irn bru carnival :T
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    angie_baby wrote: »
    I put my claim in within about 3 weeks of getting a dignosis. On the form they ask you how lon have you been having problems. I put 4 years which is true. Its just that getting a diagnosis took a long time. (i didnt help as i also had alot of denial to deal with)

You didn't need to wait for a diagnosis. I have completely different problems and am still being investigated for problems. I claim DLA.

I'm sure it says that if you don't have a diagnosis, you can just put the symptoms.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • louisedyer
    Options
    hi everyone i found out on friday that my 5yr old daughter has ADHD at the moment i feel lost as they said its more common in boys then girls i dont have a clue what help i can get can anyone help thanks x
  • raq
    raq Posts: 1,716 Forumite
    Options
    hi all

great comments here only wish someone i know use her child,s money in the same way., spends hers on vodka and he gets money to fund his weed habit
    :A Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling
  • raq
    raq Posts: 1,716 Forumite
    Options
    louisedyer wrote: »
    hi everyone i found out on friday that my 5yr old daughter has ADHD at the moment i feel lost as they said its more common in boys then girls i dont have a clue what help i can get can anyone help thanks x

Hi there

Just wanted to say big hugs and someone with lots of good information will be along soon.

BIG Hugs .
    :A Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling
  • Soapn
    Soapn Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a lot of money you get extra, and is it weekly or monthly?
    When your life is a mess, stop and think what you are doing before bringing more kids into it, it's not fair on them.
    GLAD NOT TO BE A MEMBER OF THE "ENTITLED TO " UNDER CLASS
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Soapn wrote: »

The DLA is weekly (up to £125 pw), the extra tax credits (up to just shy of £5k extra per year I believe on top of the full child tax credit if they are claiming carers +IS) are weekly, the carers allowance (£55 pw) and income support(£31pw) for being a carer are also weekly and the family fund is yearly (about £500 towards a holiday or white goods), all in all its a very rewarding "income" for the lazy, ignorant, career benefit claimant where by both parents get massive "wages" worth as much as being a higher rate tax payer for fabricating an "illness" from bad parenting practices AKA not parenting at all.

Then there are the genuine cases, a smaller minority that try to make sure their kids get the best life they posibly can but the money available also means some wont try to use all avaliable therapies to improve their childrens conditions to the point of not needing any extra help because then the benefits stop.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I forgot all the other extras like the highest LHA, full ctb, free school meals etc.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Soapn wrote: »

Hiya Andy :D
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Soapn
    Soapn Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2012 at 11:33PM
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    The DLA is weekly (up to £125 pw), the extra tax credits (up to just shy of £5k extra per year I believe on top of the full child tax credit if they are claiming carers +IS) are weekly, the carers allowance (£55 pw) and income support(£31pw) for being a carer are also weekly and the family fund is yearly (about £500 towards a holiday or white goods), all in all its a very rewarding "income" for the lazy, ignorant, career benefit claimant where by both parents get massive "wages" worth as much as being a higher rate tax payer for fabricating an "illness" from bad parenting practices AKA not parenting at all.

Then there are the genuine cases, a smaller minority that try to make sure their kids get the best life they posibly can but the money available also means some wont try to use all avaliable therapies to improve their childrens conditions to the point of not needing any extra help because then the benefits stop.

are you serious? not that much surely?? really?

that could explaing the sudden surge of diagnosis in the last 15 years or so then?
    I'm shocked, almost to the point of being speechless
    When your life is a mess, stop and think what you are doing before bringing more kids into it, it's not fair on them.
    GLAD NOT TO BE A MEMBER OF THE "ENTITLED TO " UNDER CLASS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport