PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Blackcurrants

Options

Comments

• AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be interested to read the not-polite suggestions. :D
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• jmf
    jmf Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    We will be picking our blackcurrants this week. I always freeze them 1lb uncooked approx in a poly bag. They keep very well and we use them during the winter.

There are also gooseberries and raspberries at the moment so we eat those as I do not like freezing them and save the blackcurrants.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    kazmeister wrote: »
    Hi

has anyone any suggestions (polite ones of course) as to what to do with a huge carrier bag of blackcurrants that OH has brought back from the allotment. I still have some in the freezer from last year I dont know what to do with.

Cheers
    Kaz

Freeze the ones you have freshly got and start using up the ones from last year that you already have in the freezer for any recipes you are given before they are beyond their best (they have a lifespan of approx 6 -12 mths if frozen).

Fresh, they'll keep in the fridge for just a couple of days before they begin to deteriorate.

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    i havent tried it yet but i am sure blackcurrants would do in muffins the same as blueberries do
  • redballoon_2
    redballoon_2 Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i'll second the making muffins!

also put on top of plain ice cream!

or make smoothies
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • Sharifa_2
    Sharifa_2 Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely smoothies.
  • allIcouldwishfor
    Options
    I always use mine for jam, I end up with about 40 jars of the stuff every year as we have very prolific blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes in our garden. I give loads away to friends, kid's teachers, and to the school and church to sell, but I'm still trying to use up last year's batch!!

Anyone know how to make cordial?
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • retiredlady
    retiredlady Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know this might seem like a stupid question, and I have googled it, but can anyone tell me or point me towards a site that would show me how to recognise a blackcurrant growing wild? In the woods by our house are a couple of bush/tree which have lots of shinyblack berries growing in bunches and I don't know if they are safe to eat or not?
    Would really hate to poison my family!
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • seashore321
    seashore321 Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    I love blackberries with pancakes. (Aunt B...ssies are good if you don't want to make your own(not in the spirit I know) Put blackberries and a dollop of creme fraiche inside pancake and micro or oven. Slather syrup on as well.
    Glorious!!
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    I know this might seem like a stupid question, and I have googled it, but can anyone tell me or point me towards a site that would show me how to recognise a blackcurrant growing wild? In the woods by our house are a couple of bush/tree which have lots of shinyblack berries growing in bunches and I don't know if they are safe to eat or not?
    Would really hate to poison my family!

http://www.fruitgateway.co.uk/intro_to_blackcurrant.asp has pictures
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills