Ryanair not refunding

Options
Hi everyone.

I was supposed to fly from Madrid to Gatwick at 7.20pm on the 14th of January with Ryanair.

I checked the Ryanair site the night before the flight about 11.30pm and it said the flight was cancelled due to snow and to click the appropriate link for a refund. Ok so I did that.

I checked back on the site about a couple of hours later and find they took the message about the cancelled flights off and now the flight was back on. So I couldn't fly now as I had already put in my refund request.

Now I receive a templated email about 3 weeks later from Ryanair saying the ticket is non-refundable blah blah as it wasnt cancelled.

What are my rights? Where can I go from here?

I have a saved copy of the web page with the news about the cancelled flights and the refund link.

Thanks

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you clicked on the refund link did you get an e mail?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • z0nk
    z0nk Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Not straight away, a day or two later I got this:

"Dear MR.

Due to the high number of flight cancellations as a result of weather conditions across Europe we are currently experiencing a delay in processing refunds. We confirm receipt of your refund request under booking confirmation X6518V and confirm that your request will be processed within the next 28 working days. Confirmation of your refund will be sent to the email address used for original booking.

Please accept this email as notification of receipt and do not resubmit your request

Your sincerely

Ryanair Customer Services"
  • z0nk
    z0nk Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    anyone have any ideas? :)
  • lijaloo
    lijaloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Print out your email and send it "International Signed For" with a covering letter to

Customer Services Department
    Ryanair Head Office
    Dublin Airport
    Dublin
    Eire

You could also try sending the letter and copy of the email by fax to
    their customer sevices dept on +353 1 8121230, though that number is a couple of years old now so I suggest you try post first.

• MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    lijaloo wrote: »
    Print out your email and send it "International Signed For" with a covering letter to

International Signed For costs £3.70 + normal Airmail cost, so it depends how much the flight cost as to whether this is worth it. It would be a shame to spend £5 only to get no reply or a template response denying a refund again.
  • lijaloo
    lijaloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From experience they will just deny receivng the letter otherwise.
  • Cityboy_2
    Cityboy_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    z0nk wrote: »
    Not straight away, a day or two later I got this:

"Dear MR.

Due to the high number of flight cancellations as a result of weather conditions across Europe we are currently experiencing a delay in processing refunds. We confirm receipt of your refund request under booking confirmation X6518V and confirm that your request will be processed within the next 28 working days. Confirmation of your refund will be sent to the email address used for original booking.

Please accept this email as notification of receipt and do not resubmit your request

Your sincerely

Ryanair Customer Services"

Your best bet in these circumstances is to ignore the 'do not send another email' request from Ryanair and insist they reimburse you according to regulation EC 261/2004 that governs these instances. Under Article 8 you are entitled to your reimbursement via the same method by which you paid within 7 days.

Send another email quoting the Article I have reproduced below together with your original flight details to Ryanair and insist on the refund being paid within 7 days or you will commence court action to recover this sum and that your court fees will be added to your reimbursement claim.

Article 8
    Right to reimbursement or re-routing
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
    (a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,
    - a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;
    (b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
    (c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
    2. Paragraph 1(a) shall also apply to passengers whose flights form part of a package, except for the right to reimbursement where such right arises under Directive 90/314/EEC.
    3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.

Let us know how you get on.
  • eclectica
    Options
    My partner and i were due to fly to Lanzarote from Liverpool on 5.1.10. The flight was cancelled due to snow. as there was no other suitable flight, we had to give up and I filled in the on line claim for a refund (£130, 2 return flights, and 1 checked in bag). The message popped up that my card would be refunded, but I received no other email. No refund has appeared. I have tried faxing the number given, still no reply. I have found various phone nos, but keep reading that people are kept on hold, then cut off. Does anyone know which number will work? Has anyone had any success in getting a refund?
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Options
    lijaloo wrote: »
    Customer Services Department
    Ryanair Head Office
    Dublin Airport
    Dublin
    Eire

It's Ireland, not Eire or even Éire.
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    You should write to Ryanair asking again for your refund and you need to be patient waiting for the money. But if you receive no joy after a few weeks you have the option of going to country court using the small claims track. It is easy to start a claim online for about £25 (which you add to the sum you are requesting). When Ryanair are contacted by the court they may pay up immediately. If the case goes to a court hearing it is unlikely Ryanair would invest in defending themselves and the Judge would then rule in your favour. This may seem long winded, and involve the risk of losing more money, but it is independent arbitration and if you are confident in your argument you have little to lose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure