Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    artybear wrote: »
    Iv added the spanish omelette and the apple curd. Weezl-I feel a bit bad thats it a bank holiday weekend and your doing all this work.

Dont worry if you want time off to have some peace and quiet from us
    awww thanks arty :A

DH and I have an agreement that I'll work extra hard up til sun pm to get all this to you lovely testers and then cut back on the project a bit to have more family time with him and the boys next week, so don't worry I won't overdo it! :D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    I am liking the pea soup :D
    I followed Lesley's recipe...
    Although, I didn't have any mint :(
    I mixed the flour with a wee touch of water, instead of milk, then added in.
    I would normally add a potato to thicken a soup, so this was new to me :o... but it was ok...as it thickened quite quickly.
    I had a wee taste, and after adding s+p, I decided that it DID need a wee bit of milk.
    I added 50ml's at a time.... by the time I got to 150ml's, I had a consistancy and taste that I liked.

When I make this soup again, I will deffo try it with mint.... as I think a little mint flavour in the background would lovely variation on it.

Hope this helps :D
    excellent thank you :)

And do you feel it makes 4 good enough sized portions?

How many slices of bread would need to be with it to make a good lunch?

xxx

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »

xxx
    Let me go and measure the sizes of the portions ...
    2 secs
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2010 at 8:23PM
    Options

xxx

Ok...
    I have just had a small portion, which was roughly 200mls :drool:
    I put another small portion, 200mls in the fridge... Ron can have that tomorrow ;)

For my break at work tonight, I have a massive 350ml portion :o
    And the freezer is having the same sized portion :o (these are main meals for me :o)

So, averaging all that out, 4 portions of the same size should be 275mls ...
    Which is a good medium size bowl of soup.

I wont be having bread with the massive bowl of soup, that I will be having tonight....

But if I had a 275ml portion, then 1 slice would be enough for me, if I had any at all. Bob may like another slice or two, depending on how hungry he is.

The 200ml portion I have just had, is deceptively filling.

Does this help Weezl ? :o

Edit... I have just had a wee look at mysupermarket, for those small tins of soup, to see how much is in them.... 300g or 290g ish...
    Just in case you are interested....
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    Oh ok weezl-I know you are a grown up just dont want you to feel under pressure and have time with your lovely family

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • Murrell
    Murrell Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    I've not seen Murrell for a while, hope you're OK? xxx

Hiah,
    I am here reading and keeping up with you all. It was only the 31st when I last posted, nice to see you have missed me already!!
    I did reply to your mayo question on the vegan thread today. Only links that may help though, as i've not made any myself.

Sandra
    x
  • princess_loki
    Options
    Allegra wrote: »
    Ohhhh you tease ! Gimme gimme gimme.... :D Pretty please ?

Incidentally, Weezl, I think that there may be a number of people in my area doing your planner on the sneak - went shopping today and on almost every item on the list the stocks were right down, with some being sold out altogether :( Wish the beggars would pipe up and own up though, lol.

hi allegra!

i am in n'pton too but it is not me buying up everything! been so busy decorating that we are being bad and eating pizza etc!

however, once lodger (cousin) is moved in we will be following plan as much as possible :)

loki x
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    Since then, I have had a bit of a read up on this...
    And have found a couple of recipes, and a good explanation, from a "sourdough" fan...

Amish bread starter

This starter contains a lot of sugar, therefore, will probably produce quiet a sweet bread, which is not to every ones taste, thoughts, or Bob and Shirley’s budget.
    Also, the budget may be another factor for the milk inclusion in this recipe.
    As this recipe does use commercially available dried yeast, it will provide a degree of similarity, and reliability if followed, as per instruction, regardless of the cook.
    This starter takes 10 days to be ready.

Sourdough starter

This starter relies on naturally occurring yeast within the atmosphere.
    There is NO sugar addition to this recipe, therefore, will suit a more savoury taste, or those not wishing any or a lot of sugar in their diet.
    And this is also good for the budget.
    This recipe uses water as the liquid, also good for the budget.
    There will a degree of difference with this recipe, due to the reliance of environmental factors required to produce this bread.
    This starter takes approx 7-9 days to be ready.

A really good explanation

This guy explains it much better than I could:o:o

The only think I don’t like, is the fact that after 24hours you throw away half of the starter:eek::eek::eek:
    I can’t see why that is other than a space issue.

I, personally would be inclined to half the mixture after 24hours, and have 2 on the go, feeding both… I would then freeze what was not required, for future use.
    Alternatively, you could start with half the recipe, and keep the whole lot, if you know what I mean. :)
    I may have missed further discussion of this as I haven't read through everything but you don't have to throw away sourdough starter - I just feed mine according to how much starter I am going to need.
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I tried the no egg mayo and it didn't emulsify properly, the lemon juice split the milk and it curdled slightly. I might try again next week when I have time.

Not much of an excuse but the dog screamed in terror when she heard the liquidiser. I need to introduce it more carefully!
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Murrell
    Murrell Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Weezl,

You will need the nutritional info changing on the 'Mr Aless’s savoury bites' now that the recipe has changed and uses lard instead of oil. I was just about to write about them on my vegan blog, and went to find them first and noticed the change. Will still blog, when I next make them (hopefully tomorrow) anyway and link, I just got sidetracked tonight and time for bed now. I attemped an amended recipe the other day and made too many changes and they where not as nice, only because I made 3 changes, I don't know which ones effected it. I used cannellini beans, less oil, as I used all the juice, and wholemeal flour. So one change at a time in future if I tweak them.

Sandra
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family