Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

edited 4 April 2010 at 8:33AM in How much have you saved?
4.7K replies 305.2K views

Replies

• artybearartybear Forumite
    978 Posts
    No worries Weezl I will just not go to the library at 4 (:j:j:j;)) Im more than prepared to sacrifice that in order for this planner to work.;):D

Um...I am a bit worried about cooking these things as many of them I have never done before. So expect a lot of silly questions!!!:p

Alsoly where will the recipes be? If its my index does someone want to cast an eye over it as I dont want to be responsible for us all going wrong:eek::p

xxxxx
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    artybear I'm a bit nervous about some things too.
    Also about the rest of the family revolting, but I have other food in the freezer and alcohol and money just in case ;)
  • nopot2pinnopot2pin Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    artybear wrote: »
    No worries Weezl I will just not go to the library at 4 (:j:j:j;))
    Alsoly where will the recipes be? If its my index does someone want to cast an eye over it as I dont want to be responsible for us all going wrong:eek::p

xxxxx

Your indexing is fine Arty :T
    I have been using it to work from for the surveys ;)
    And I haven't found any problems so far :D
    FrankieM wrote: »
    artybear I'm a bit nervous about some things too.
    Also about the rest of the family revolting, but I have other food in the freezer and alcohol and money just in case ;)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Aye... Just get them all drunk Frankie, and they will eat what ya give 'em :D
    978 Posts
    Oh im glad someone else is a bit nervous:o but Im really excited at the same time just have to keep reminding myself I need to work and do my dissertation ASWELL as cooking!

xxxx

p.s I may have to add wine to my month!!!
    Anatole France

Jean Anouilh
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    potty I was planning to get drunk then I wouldn't care that they were complaining!
  • edited 1 April 2010 at 9:24PM
    nopot2pinnopot2pin Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    edited 1 April 2010 at 9:24PM
    As the title says, a little bit about bread/yeast starters for bread :)

Today, at aprprox 3.30pm, I opened a 7g sachet of active dried yeast, and put it into a jug, with 7g of sugar.
    I then added a little warm water ( I used the empty sachet as a measure and used one )
    I gave it a good old stir, and this is what it looked like.

Frugalfood002.jpg

And this....
    Frugalfood003-1.jpg

I losely covered with cling film, I went for a cheeky nap...about 90mins....
    And this is what I came down too :eek::eek:

Frugalfood004-1.jpg

Since then, I have had a bit of a read up on this...
    And have found a couple of recipes, and a good explanation, from a "sourdough" fan...

Amish bread starter

This starter contains a lot of sugar, therefore, will probably produce quiet a sweet bread, which is not to every ones taste, thoughts, or Bob and Shirley’s budget.
    Also, the budget may be another factor for the milk inclusion in this recipe.
    As this recipe does use commercially available dried yeast, it will provide a degree of similarity, and reliability if followed, as per instruction, regardless of the cook.
    This starter takes 10 days to be ready.

Sourdough starter

This starter relies on naturally occurring yeast within the atmosphere.
    There is NO sugar addition to this recipe, therefore, will suit a more savoury taste, or those not wishing any or a lot of sugar in their diet.
    And this is also good for the budget.
    This recipe uses water as the liquid, also good for the budget.
    There will a degree of difference with this recipe, due to the reliance of environmental factors required to produce this bread.
    This starter takes approx 7-9 days to be ready.

A really good explanation

This guy explains it much better than I could:o:o

The only think I don’t like, is the fact that after 24hours you throw away half of the starter:eek::eek::eek:
    I can’t see why that is other than a space issue.

I, personally would be inclined to half the mixture after 24hours, and have 2 on the go, feeding both… I would then freeze what was not required, for future use.
    Alternatively, you could start with half the recipe, and keep the whole lot, if you know what I mean. :)

I am not sure, which, if any is the way ahead for Bob and Shirley regarding bread/yeast starters...….
    It may be too much of a faff for them….
    Or it maybe something that could be tried on the weekend, to be ready the following weekend ish.
    A good memory is needed to feed the yeast;)

If you need more detail, let me know, and I will find more ;)
  • weezl74weezl74 Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    shall I get drunk daily and then not mind if my testers are revolting? In both senses of the word :p:D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • nopot2pinnopot2pin Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    FrankieM wrote: »
    potty I was planning to get drunk then I wouldn't care that they were complaining!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Aye... I think I like YOUR idea better Frankie :D
    Brilliant :T:T:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • weezl74weezl74 Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    note to testers: when your shopping does come, please soak 500g dried peas and 140g dried chickpeas :)

Bossy weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
    978 Posts
    Thanks weezl- I wouldnt have known that:o

You could get drunky drunk which may make for funny reading when helping with recipes. On that topic I have just been handed a rather large glass of wine so if I come on later declaring undying love for you frugal fellows just ignore me:D

xxxxxxxxxx
    Anatole France

Jean Anouilh
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides