🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

Options

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Murrell wrote: »
    I've never cooked with dried peas before, so was thinking of buying some to try. Do they turn out like marrowfat peas or mushy peas? Is there a link to the pea puree also that needs trying, I will see if its something I can do. I may not be able to get the same brand as using a different supermarket, but I see the brand has changed anyway, so hoping it doesn't matter.

Thanks
    Sandra
    x

I have a pack of those Leo peas in soak, so if you would like them doing according to some instructions that would be possible.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I made some more of the oaty apple fat free cereal bars. This time I added the mixed spice and for a change used some chopped up dried apricots (Approved Foods special!) instead of raisins. Delicious!

The 99p store also sells a good range of silicon bakeware which Shirley might like for her kit. Guess how much it costs lol!
  • purpleivy
    Options
    HowlinWolf wrote: »
    Well the apple curd is in the jars. I pureed the hell out of it with the hand blender (having first mashed it with the masher) and it was really really well cooked but the hand blender nearly died with the effort. I have tasted some and it is delicious but even though it looks smooth there are still choky little bits of skin and hard stringy bits of core in it. I am hoping that, like Lesley did, I will find that they have gone away by morning. I would definitely make again but it remains to be seen whether I would peel and core the apples first.

We always call the hard bits from round the apple seeds 'fingernails' cos that's what they're like! :eek::rotfl:
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, how about this_one
    :T I think that's the bunny - meal planner and stock check v2?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • purpleivy
    Options
    shanks77 wrote: »
    Howlin with regards to your note for Shirley regarding white sauce i wonder if it would be worth mentioning to her to make a bigger batch of roux (without liquid) and keep the rest in the fridge to be added as and when required to thicken up soups etc. The mixture will keep for several weeks so Shirl would only have to make it once in a while. Just a thought HTH xx

If Shirley is a novice, what about introducing Delia's cheat's white sauce (fat, flour, seasoning and milk all go in a pan cold. Bring to the boil and Bob's yer uncle -although I seem to remember he isn't yer uncle, he's Shirley's hubby)

Also this can be frozen successfully. Looks gross when it comes out of the freezer and is defrosted, but comes back together when heated and mixed in whatever.
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    HowlinWolf wrote: »
    I was just wondering whether anyone would be able to do one post with links to every recipe in the thread on it. I am having trouble keeping up and though I have copied lots of the recipes into text documents there are lots that I have missed that I now can't find.

:(
    Me too......
    I thought that using post 2 was a good idea, to keep them together, but it is difficult to keep up :o
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    We always call the hard bits from round the apple seeds 'fingernails' cos that's what they're like! :eek::rotfl:

We do that too ever since I read a letter in a womens mag years ago about a little girl who said she liked the pie but didn't like the fingernails in it. It took her mother a while to work out what she meant.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    :(
    Me too......
    I thought that using post 2 was a good idea, to keep them together, but it is difficult to keep up :o

I'm sorry about that everyone:o, I agree it's frustrating...

If anyone has any ideas I'm open to them.:)

If any consolation I think it's because we're victims of our own success and no-one realised how quickly this would grow and fly!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Everyone:wave:

Sorry for not helping much the last week-I have been busy and tired (dont know how you do it Weezl)

I am reading but just dont want you all to forget me lol-im just the quiet one in the corner at the mo.

If anyone needs me to do anything just shout-I will see it. Next week I will make sure I test something good (just not the sweetcorn :D)

artybearXXXXXXXXX
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Arty, I was wondering if you were ok :)

As you rightly pointed out, we have plently of time, so no worries about being busy with real life, we very much look forward to your thoughts and recipe tests whenever you get a chance :)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family