🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Notice to newcomers RE: Trolls part 2

Options

Comments

• dollparts
    dollparts Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My thoughts entirely, It's easy to read, reply and think nothing of it. Or worse still know that what is contained in your post is indeed inflammotory but hell, it will get a rise out of many so go ahead and post anyway.

I expect to be told at any given moment-I sure as hell have in the past the old mantra that 'this is an open forum, we reserve the right to reply, Can i not join in because I do not agree' etc etc.

That old blanket of an argument has been dragged around the back yard for as long as I have been posting here (and elsewhere).

It is I believe, an entirely separate issue.

It is not about people flexing their debating muscles and speaking freely as should be the case in ANY forum.

It's about recognising the sensitivity of the nature of the topic of BR and dare I say looking at the bigger picture.

After all, you wouldn't go onto a self harm support forum and post a money off voucher for razor blades would you?

It's about using your loaf/exercising a little humanity/being the better person/minding your own god damned business. Call it what you like.

It is not eay to turn the other cheek. Especially when someone is feeling utterly incredulous that Jonny come lately has had the gall to judge you without knowing the first thing about your circumstances.

So I have pre-empted that argument. And in doing so have lessened the possibility that it will be used as the usual weak as water excuse to validate the right of a bully.

I said lessend the possibilty. Even I'm not naive enough (nor arrogant) to think I'll get away with posting this without playing up to those who disagree.
    There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.
  • solventsoon
    solventsoon Posts: 17,363 Forumite
    Options
    Great post dollparts - well said!
    :) The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time :)
  • solventsoon
    Options
    New page, so let's have a reminder of why this thread is here..
    peppa-pig wrote: »
    As the other thread appears now to be closed, I have started another one. So, as originally posted by So Sad Angel:

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if we have this thread over here on BR board but DFW bump this often so that newcomers new & old are aware of the possibility of `troll` issues.

They `bump` it along regularly to keep it in peoples minds. Perhaps it would work over here?

Pania`s words are so brilliant I could`nt better them myself so I copied as below.

Angelxx

Notice to newcomers re trolls.
    Hi everybody.

Over the last few weeks we have had a number of "troll" attacks on the boards.

What is a Troll? A troll is a person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board or someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made.

If you should get a comment made on any thread you post asking for help and advice please realise this comment is not directed at you personally.
    We really are all a lovely bunch here (oops, modest, sorry) so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal.

what should i do if i get a comment made on my thread?

firstly do not respond to the comment as this invariably is what the person wants. At the bottom of the post, on the left hand side is a red "warning" triangle. Click this and then "send" the message that comes up. This will report the message to abuse who will review it's content and delete it.

The person we had this morning was particularly vile and nasty and please believe me is an extreme rarity here.
    Above all PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE BOARDS. THIS SITE IS AN ASSET TO SO MANY, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT FEELS THE WORLD IS FALLING IN ON YOU. THERE IS SUCH A WEALTH OF ADVICE HERE TO BE HAD THAT THE COMMENTS OF ONE MUST NOT DETER YOU FROM AVAILING YOURSELF OF THE KNOWLEDGE HERE!!!!

It is testament to the work that martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time knowledge and experience freely to others, without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of debt crisis

PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT.

Kind wishes
    P
    xxxxx

Hello to any newbies out there and anyone trying to pluck up the courage to post. You'll get lots of great advice on here, just try to ignore any hurtful posts if possible..
  • sizzler
    sizzler Posts: 5,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As allways like stealth SS my friend:D

sizzler:j
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Hear hear dollparts
    dollparts wrote: »
    I cannot help thinking that one of these fine days someone in need of help will get caught up in the cross fire and go off and do something really awful because someone felt the need to stick the boot in.

The sad truth is we will probably never know if something as dreadful as this has already happened, but I wouldn't be suprised. When someone is desperate the hurtful posts are the ones they can't help themselves but focus on, and despite people disagreeing and trying to offer support and guidance (as well as aiming a few well placed kicks at the trolls) sometimes the supportive posts just don't get through the shell that the poster has already built around themselves.

However that doesn't mean we shouldn't try so BUMP
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Tinytim
    Tinytim Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    dollparts wrote: »

It's just sad to think that whilst I never expected things to change, they didn't change anyway and people are still potentially put off by gaining the advice they so critically need in a time of extreme difficulty.

Whilst you guys all work so hard to hammer down the hatchet and keep the cyber bullies at bay (and you all do so well) I cannot help thinking that one of these fine days someone in need of help will get caught up in the cross fire and go off and do something really awful because someone felt the need to stick the boot in.

This is one reason why I feel that for this forum in particular, moderators who are able to delete posts would be a good idea. There will obviously be occasions where posters are upset at having posts deleted, but IMHO this is a far lesser evil than the potential harm which can be caused to a vulnerable poster who is crying out for help.
    BSC 271
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    Tinytim wrote: »
    This is one reason why I feel that for this forum in particular, moderators who are able to delete posts would be a good idea. There will obviously be occasions where posters are upset at having posts deleted, but IMHO this is a far lesser evil than the potential harm which can be caused to a vulnerable poster who is crying out for help.

I spend a lot of time over on the Unenforceability & Template Letters II thread and the other week a guy came on (obv someone i've upset in the past no doubt) and tried to cause chaos - he was basically ridiculing the posts i'd made - even though I was quoting acts of the CCA to him (word for word).... No matter how many people had a go at him in support of me, it still trashes an otherwise excellent thread for resources.

So, we had one guy with 6 posts causing trouble, we had 50+ people complain and report him. After 3 days the 5 posts were removed (leaving one - why??) and yet he was still a member....

I mean, if this isn't abuse what on earth is? It beggars belief..... :eek:

Can you relate? Its just soooo annoying! :mad:
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • solventsoon
    Options
    sizzler wrote: »
    As allways like stealth SS my friend:D

sizzler:j

Gotta be quick to catch me sizzler. How are you?
    x
  • sizzler
    sizzler Posts: 5,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bump

thanks SS
  • solventsoon
    Options
    Smiley BUMP time again, I think

3.gif

Take care sizzler x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport