PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I ask for my deposit back?

Options

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    ""They have returned outstanding rent to me, which the contract also says they won't do (We pay in three instalments and the contract states if you leave, the money for that period will not be returned) ""

you have left before the end of your contract and you already been treated more than fairly by your LL - move on .....

and stop moaning.....

i hate it when folks only give you half a story at the beginning and we all - well ok then - me - jumps to conclusions that turn out to be incorrect when more information is provided.....
  • HopeAndDriftWood
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't say more then fairly.
    They still took this instalments rent, which I had to fight to get back, and I was still treated disgustingly by a member of staff. But I will just leave it.

Thank you for your advice.
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't making a mistake, I was asking for opinions, which I got but yours was delivered very bitterly.
    I am not trying to get out of a contract, nor was I offered any other solution. The landlord agreed they had broken the contract, so my contract law modules at uni suggest that breaches their right to keep my deposit, as they broke the terms. I didn't pay my rent late, or aggravate the situation, and leaving early was not convenient for me, as this is a busy town and it was hard to find somewhere to move too.

They suggested the contract be terminated, so I wondered if I'd get the money I paid back. I wasn't trying to rip anyone off, or get one over. I was simply asking what my rights are, if I am intimidated by a member of staff.

I'm grateful for your advice, but not everyone who posts wants to steal money from other people. I am truly horrified if it came across that that was my intention.

I never thought you wanted to steal money - more have your cake and eat it.

It is a shame that you did not take advice or post on here for opinions before you irrepairable breached the contract. At that point there would have been actions that you could have taken to ensure that your deposit was returned if you did have to leave.

Good luck with your studies.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 February 2010 at 6:22PM
    Options
    Hi,

If this is true and you have proof of this, then as far as I can see, you were forced to terminate your tenancy.

You should definitely send them a "Without Prejudice" letter asking them to return your deposit and the balance on the internet charges. You should let them know that if they do not refund you that you will take them to the Small Claims Court.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't say more then fairly.
    They still took this instalments rent, which I had to fight to get back, and I was still treated disgustingly by a member of staff. But I will just leave it.

Thank you for your advice.

Definitely do not leave it. You are well within your rights to get this money back and it costs very litttle to take them to the Small Claims Court.
  • HopeAndDriftWood
    Options
    How did I irrepairably break my contract?
    Thank you for your advice, Suzie.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    How did I irrepairably break my contract?
    Thank you for your advice, Suzie.

PM me with the draft of your letter if you want. I am incensed that this could happen in student accommodation.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    ""Well, I wouldn't say more then fairly.""

you have been treated more than fairly legally.... you signed a contract ... you left early ..... end of .... you were not entitled to rent back - but you have had received it from the LL

there is no court case.. dont waste your time and energy and money....
  • HopeAndDriftWood
    Options
    You are all acting as if I wanted to leave. I didn't, and it was not my suggestion. It was really inconvenient, and I didn't expect to have to relocate due to a member of staff.

Thank you for your input, however.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    You are all acting as if I wanted to leave. I didn't, and it was not my suggestion. It was really inconvenient, and I didn't expect to have to relocate due to a member of staff.

Thank you for your input, however.

Absolutely. Stick to your guns. Please let me know how you get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport