PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I ask for my deposit back?

Options
HopeAndDriftWood
HopeAndDriftWood Posts: 2,483 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 February 2010 at 2:51PM in House buying, renting & selling
Can this be closed, please?
Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Was the member of staff concerned disciplined at all? If not, I would be going to the College/University authorities and make a format complaint of harassment, as you seem to have some evidence to back up your claim.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    if you leave a contract early then you will lose your deposit... as the LL will need to find another tenant and is legally entitled to use your deposit to fund that process....

i might ask about a refund on the years internet - how much did you pay ?
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    My contract stated that if I left, my deposit of £350 would be lost, and I would have to find another tenant to take over my room.

The bold part says it all really, the rest is just irrelevent.
  • Rick62
    Rick62 Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    N79 wrote: »
    The bold part says it all really, the rest is just irrelevent.

Not if they were being harrased. Quiet enjoyment?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    involve the university housing office. even if you don't get your deposit back, the behaviour of staff at the halls should be noted and they have the power to make the company chance their attitude.
    :happyhear
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    ""Quiet enjoyment?"" - but the lack of quiet enjoyment here was not caused by the landlord and is nothing to do with the tenancy contractual obligations as the nuisance was caused by a third party....
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    clutton wrote: »
    ""Quiet enjoyment?"" - but the lack of quiet enjoyment here was not caused by the landlord and is nothing to do with the tenancy contractual obligations as the nuisance was caused by a third party....

The OP said it was a staff member - presumably employed by the manager and/or landlord?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • HopeAndDriftWood
    edited 1 February 2010 at 2:51PM
    Options
    Edited to remove information, as I do not need any more opinions.
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    OK - you can tell that I got out of the wrong side of bed this morning.

The remedy for a breach of contract is damages.

Time and time again we see people on this board that say that my LL failed to do X (quiet enjoyment, a repair or something). Can I now leave the contract?

Lets turn this on its head. A T fails to meet a contractual obligation (eg 1 day late with rent, smoked in the property, broke a window). Can the LL now throw the T out?

The simple fact is that tenancies can not be ended on the basis of minor breaches by either party and hence while the T may or may not have been denied "quiet enjoyment" by their LL or their agent, this fact, of itself, does not end the contract. The T could have availed themselves of the remedies to which they are entitled. Voiding the contract is not one of them.

In this case clearly the LL agreed to an early termination. As is so often the case the T assumed that certain terms beneficial to them would be applied to this early termination. This was not the case. The LL is applying the strict terms of the contract (as they are entitled to do).

Accept you mistake and move on.
  • HopeAndDriftWood
    edited 1 February 2010 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Edited, no more advice needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories