Jacket going for way more than original purchase price...can i be penalised??

Options
Evening all...

Just a quickie, I have listed a BNWT Jacket on eBay that I bought in my younger frivolous days, long before I was introduced to adulthood & endless bills! ...Well the jacket stayed unworn in the wardrobe for sometime so I decided it was time to put it on eBay.

I just checked to see how my items are doing, and to my pleasant surprise the jacket's bids are currently at twice the amount i originally paid for.

Here's where I'm worried, the Jacket was from Primark but I havent mentioned that on the listing (didnt mention any brand/store - just item descrip/info) - Can I be penalised for this with neg feedback? No one has asked where the coats come from...and its no longer avaliable in store.

Should I email the highest bidder and explain, or am I getting my knickers in a twist for no reason?

I used eBay as a quick and easy - albeit - money making incentive to have a clear out ....but it seems like it causes nothing but stress!

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• totallybonkers
    Options
    Stop worrying :o they're buying the jacket because they like it, where it comes from should be irrelevant. To best of my knowledge they can't ask for a refund once they've bought it as ebay is supposed to be a legal contract. Well done with the selling!
    :j Growing Older is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional :j
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    Options
    I think you're right to be apprehansive. I think that it's possible that people wouldn't bid as much for your jacket if they knew it was from Primark.

If your buyer feels like a fool for bidding so high on a jacket that turned out to have come from "cheapie shop" Primark they may suspect that you left the Primark part out on purpose - and they may take issue with you about that in your feedback and DSRs.

Some Primark items are quite highly sought after - but most aren't. Have you looked to see if the same jacket is (or has been) selling well on eBay?

Some Primark garments are very good copies of almost identical items from other more expensive brands. People might assume it's one of those other brands because they remember seeing it in a shop.

They might be completely unfamiliar with Primark and more than a little peed off when it arrives.

Thses days where something comes from is very important to a lot of people.

I'd err on the side of caution. :)
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    Options
    I would be a bit miffed as Primark quality isn't the greatest, and if you put BNWT then I would expect you to put where it was from.

Personally though I wouldn't bid without knowing where it was from so the bidders have placed legitimate bids on factual information. You should be ok.
  • ~~Diane~~
    ~~Diane~~ Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If it was a looky likey garment and not listed as Primark then shouldn't it be down to the buyer to enquire if it was an orginal or not?

When listing clothes it is always best to put as much info as possible and measurements, then there is no comeback. Sizing from brand to brand can be quite different.

You could always add a little bit to the discription to say it is a Primark jacket.
    2011 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £743.32
    2012 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £435.75
    2013 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £300 ~ saved £521
    2014 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £400 ~ saved
  • drc
    drc Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think there is any legal obligation to state where the jacket is from and the bidders could always ask you if it is so important.

I have bid on items before that I liked the look of and am not bothered where they come from. I would pay more for an item that I really liked regardless of the brand. That's just me though.
  • piratefairy
    piratefairy Posts: 4,342 Forumite
    Options
    It may be that the bidder is aware of where it is from, and really wants the item? If I know where the item is from I would always list the name of the brand but in the past I have had some Primark items sell for three or four times the shop price, if they were sell-out or popular items. I think I would have put that it was from Primark if I were you though.
  • jasmineswhiskers
    Options
    I've sold the odd thing in the past which went for way more than what I considered it was worth or originally cost. Buyers have always been happy and left great feedback. You could always get a friend to ask a question 'what brand is this' and post it on your listing.
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    Many primark items sell for well above store price. Last summer there was a dress in primark that had sold out everywhere. It cost £10, they were going on ebay for up to £35

As long as you have been honest on the auction ie if you said its BNWT it needs to be BNWT and as long as you have only stated facts there is no reason to put where it came from.

The people that are bidding on it like it for what it is!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I would be very worried about selling Primark without mentioning as such. I know many people will buy Promark but we had a thread on here last year trying to name and shame a seller who was selling Primark stuff without mentioning the label. Many people like Primark but an equal amount do not, and I would personally end auction and insert a a'label' name to cover yourself.

Yes the buyer should ask if they are unsure, but why risk a potential negative over a n easily rectified ommission.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Options
    Ring Primark and see if they've got any more ...
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure