Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

February 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 75

New Post Advanced Search

February 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 January 2010 at 10:34AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 75K views

Replies

• Hi everyone!

Just a quickie today. 4 NSDs so far in a row. HM Soup & HM Chilli Con Carnie for dinner tonight, don't think we'll need a pud after that. Budget not too far off course yet, but still keeping my eye on it. Hope everyone else is doing OK.

PS just heard on tv ad that MrM is selling 4 tins of tuna for £1.80p. Sounds pretty good to me:)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • I'm adding on £20 for takeaways :mad:
    and £5.75 spend in the co-op yesterday
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 :mad: / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
  • Hello, so i braved Mr S, (as 1/3 off nappies) i picked up duvet/pillows as needed to replace ours for ages, but was still shocked when the bill came to £85...aragh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pre GC that would have been a cheap shop, but now.. i nearly cried!!!!!!!! So i have sat down and meal planned, and hopefully... we're sorted until the end of the month except for milk and some fresh veggies/fruit. The plus side is we shouldn't need nappies or wipes for a while, so overall it was a good shop, especially as yesterday OH had to buy nappies at our local shop and he paid £6.22 for a tiny pack....Updating sig now! Hope everyone is ok!
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • Hi, have so far spent £305 this month, one more shop to go, think I will be slightly over but have bought a bulk of rice, oats,flour etc.. which will last another month (we eat tonnes!). Am trying hard but can't get food budget down any further. Meal plan, stretch meat out etc... For first time thought we'd have a bit of spare cash this month, doing well not to overspend- but typical dishwasher has breathed its last (has done well it's almost 15!) Might try without and save the money instead.
    Long Tall Sally-you can put anything in a soup!! give it a blend, leeks are so tasty you can put anything with them to bulk them out, shove in a spud to thicken it and a stock cube and da daaa!
    LBM 17th April 2007:j
    Credit Cards paid - July 2008 [strike]Sainsys,M&S,[/strike][strike] HSBC[/strike]
    Grocery Challenge £350
    DEBT FREE AND STILL TRYING HARD
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys, not able to keep up with the grocery challenge thread any more but, as always, still sticking to my budget. (Formerly nyk, but I managed to get a name change.) Can anyone tell me if it's OK to freeze batch cooked mince if I use dried soya mince to bulk it out? Hoping to het this done this afternoon but will await confirmation that it's alright to freeze it, first. I usually use oats but App F00d had their soya mince offer so I bought a case to try it.

Hope everyone is doing OK here and that anyone with problems can resolve them soon.

Thanks for any help on the above. :)
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • The weekly shop came to £30.10 today at Mr M's but I picked up some whoopsied chicken breasts and a whoopsied stir fry pack and then I decided to buy a jar of sweet and sour sauce (should've made my own, I know :doh:)to go with them for tea. I didn't have any meat at all on my shopping list as the freezer,fridge and cupboards are absolutely rammed so I didn't actually need any but I'm a sucker for a whoopsie!
    £34.61 to last me for this GC - I should be able to do it if I ignore the whoopsies and stick to meal plans using up what we have in!

Also picked up the 4 tins of tuna for £1.80 plus a 1.2 kg bottle of Heinz ketchup for £2 - these weren't on the list either, but too good to miss.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

maybe we should start loo rolls anonymous :D i`m down to 15 rolls :rotfl:

NSD today :j and for tea we shall be having beef stew made with some cooked brisket that was lurking at the back of the freezer, think that we shall be having sage and onion yorkies with that too so i shall make huge ones in the remoska YUM!

Can`t wait for this month to end and i can see if i`ve got any pennies left, especially as last month it actually was pence lol.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Keiss_21Keiss_21 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if it's OK to freeze batch cooked mince if I use dried soya mince to bulk it out? Hoping to het this done this afternoon but will await confirmation that it's alright to freeze it, first. I usually use oats but App F00d had their soya mince offer so I bought a case to try it.
    Hya Frugaldom, yes you can freeze your mince & soya mince....I have been doing this for years with no problems. Having some tonight as it happens!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb

• FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keiss_21 wrote: »
    Hya Frugaldom, yes you can freeze your mince & soya mince....I have been doing this for years with no problems. Having some tonight as it happens!

Many thanks for speedy reply, much appreciated, Could make my 'Nile mince' flow all the way through to 20 portions now. :rotfl:
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • Need to add £7 to my total as gave my mum money to get me the Iceland chicken breasts (totally converted to them, as so much better value than Mr T's and both DH and I noticed they were a better texture and didn't give off any water!) and 2 mega rolls of kitchen roll. Of course I realised I'd forgotten and had already bought kitchen rolls! Doh. Never mind will last an extra month now hopefully.