PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Been woken up by the noise of what I think is hail outside!Hopefully dh (gardener)will still be able to do some work today its being a very low income winter!Yesterday was a nsd:jdinner was a very stretched roast fed an extra 2 but well worth it they were extra labour at the allotment digging:D but the choclate brownies that were to last for next week got eaten in one day:eek: so more baking today! Dinner tonight will be using up left over mince from saturday adding some meatballs that have been on bogof at MrS. Aiming for a nsd :D
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

just popping on after updating my sig. I need to make a new freezer inventory later (meant to do this last week) :o and i also need to alter the mealplanner slightly as we haven`t eaten anything on it at all!

The pork shoulder was still on offer in MrM so that was used for a big roast dinner yesterday and another today - not bad for just over £2, i think it was £2.48 i could have made it stretch a bit further really but decided that we needed a treat after scrimping for so long. Tomorrow we shall be having giant sage yorkshires filled with veg, onion gravy and lincolnshire sausages. I`ve got a bit of hm stuffing left so i shall throw that in as well. This means that on Wednesday we should be back on the meal planner :T

I`m not including the pet food in my budget anymore as i`m experimenting with different things, i reduced my budget by £10 per week last month to take this into account but have added an extra £2.50 per week back this month as i was struggling. I shall keep a seperate track of the petfood budget so that i know where i am.

Fingers crossed for everyone this month!

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • mijm0t77
    Options
    Morning all!

I am off to Mr s this morning to do a monthly shop! DH is home today so he is watching DS whilst i go and do the shop.

i have a list (prepared using my monthly meal plan) so hopefully this will mean i will only need to go for bread milk veg etc for the rest of the month.

:j
    Debts @ 20-04-14 = £10,987
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning everyone a brand new month and a brand new challenge. Please put me down for £120.00 for this month and I am so determined to stick to it.I went a bit OTT last month ,but I have stacks of grub in the freezer and cupboards and no excuse not to shop from there for four weeks.
    I love the first of the month as its so nice its like starting afresh and seeing how far you can get.Definitely lots of NSD coming up fingers crossed
    Good luck every one
    JackieO
  • clarabella23
    Options
    Hi, I would like to be in again at £100 please. Didn't keep on top of it last month but I am determined to do it right in Feb! My month began on the 22nd of Jan, so I already have been for my big shop, but hopefully only really need fruit, milk and pack up for the rest of the month :)
  • aplaceinthesun
    Options
    Hi all

I havent joined in for ages but am really wanting to get into the OS way of life properly this year. Please can you put me down for £300 for February, I really want to impress myself however and do much better though as we are quite well stocked up! Will have a good read through later and good luck everyone!
  • thewestfive
    Options
    Hi

I did the GC once or twice a couple of years back. My shopping bill seems to have no end so I want to join in again please.

Can you put me down for £400 this is for 2 adults, a 17 & 16 year old and a 10 yr old. This includes all food, toiletries, cleaning products, toilet rolls ect. I will save all my receipts and try to find out where my weakness is.
    Feeding 3 Adults and 1 Fussy Celiac
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    I know that you can apparently freeze bananas but having never done this before, I don't know if you freeze them with the skin on or off! Also can you just eat them as normal after they have defrosted or are they then only good for banana cake etc?
    Also got 2 huge bags of tomatoes for a pound at the market. I'm guessing that they can't be frozen or can they? If not, better make some tomato soup with them soon.

Sorry to quote myself but still looking for the answers to my queries about freezing bananas and tomatoes - anyone know? (Sorry for being a pain!)

Long tall sally
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi LongTallSally

When I get a glut of homegrown tomatoes -I cut them in chunks, drizzle with olive oil and some seasoning and roast in the oven for about 15 mins -once cool -I bag them up and freeze to use in pasta dishes at a later date... although they are nice on toast :D
    You can throw in any peppers, onions, etc you have to use up too -and then blitz them down (takes up less room in the frezer that way too)..
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My big shop yesterday was £109.67 and today I have spent another £6.85 - sig updated.
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure