We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 10

1…813814816818819…1183

Comments

  • boogellyboo
    boogellyboo Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Im here :hello:

    I haven't been on for ages as things have been rather chaotic recently, I popped on earlier to pm a few peeps then didnt get chance to read and post. Isla's just finishing a feed so thought Id nip back :)

    Im now an Aunty :j My sisters little boy came three weeks early, he came home from hospital then had to be taken back in as had lost a lot of his birth weight and was very jaundiced. My sister was treated for GBS in labour and they suspected he may have caught it but all his test results have come back clear today and he's now back home. Now we just need him to put some weight on as he went down to
    5lb 8oz so everything buries him!

    Sorry I havent got chance to read back and catch up with everyone, can someone let me know how Poppies doing though please :)

    Hope all babies and mummies are well x
    Belly Monkey arrived 19.11.09 :j
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    that annoyed me...
    dh went out and every man was buying him drinks...it was me who did all the hard work!! and when we went out what did i get...nada!!!

    next time it will be different as he'll have to look after K ha! ha! ha!
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    anyone looking forward to eastenders tonite?? cant wait me but i bet it will be a bit of an anti-climax
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • sparkle03 wrote: »
    FWIW I bought a brand new one for Lexi, as we too are all open plan and have no doorframes :( I ebayed it when I was done with it and made £7.00 - that was xmas though and they were sold out everywhere so might have helped but they dont seem to drop in value :) I think someone got a good deal on mumsnet or something though.

    I did think about doing that...I do like to sell things on and make money :D.

    SusanC wrote: »
    Interesting article. I've just got to this bit:

    :eek: Why would one in five babies need to be taken away from their mothers? I actually wrote in my birth plan that Alice would be accompanied at all times by either me or OH but I didn't think it was that common for babies to be taken elsewhere.

    Very interesting article, although parts of it are very :eek: and upset me a bit.

    Henry was taken away from me for a couple of hours the night after he was born. He was fed and dry, but very mucussy from the CS. I hadn't slept for 60+ hours and was exhausted so I asked them to look after him while I slept, but wake me if he was hungry or needed changing :o. I felt like a different person after a couple of hours proper sleep and he doesn't seem scarred by the experience! Other than that he was with me the whole time, I wheeled his cot to the shower room, toilet etc unless OH was with him.

    I think my hospital must be the exception when it comes to BF, listening to other people's stories. I was lucky and had no problems at all, but the lady in the bed next to me couldn't get her baby to suck, and the MWs literally spent hour after hour with her trying to help, day and night (the woman wanted them to help) and they only talked about formula top-ups as a last resort.

    I'm supposed to be sorting stuff to sell at the NCT sale but I CBA! OH is annoyed with me as he seems to think I do nothing around here....charming!
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • elle_gee
    elle_gee Posts: 8,584 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    How's this for a birthday present? The carpet fitter's coming at half nine! Don't get a lie in but I do get my house back! :D :cool:
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    , but the lady in the bed next to me couldn't get her baby to suck, and the MWs literally spent hour after hour with her trying to help, day and night (the woman wanted them to help) and they only talked about formula top-ups as a last resort.


    sounds just like me :D

    i had hours of help and in the 4 days i tried he latched on once :(
    he was having top-up formula as he wasnt feeding from me and i started to express on the thurs night
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2010 at 5:43PM
    right just popped the kettle on ..
    today ive been busy i met my work friend for lunch (and breakfast as i hadnt had any) and had a good chat then a hunt around the charity shop found myself a topshop top and dorothy perkins cardigan for the sum of £7 (they're worth £25 together so bargain) .. went in adams after and because they're closing down i got somethings spent £17 should of cost £35 ... my friend got me cake so thats pudding tonight and i got strawberry beer .. i know strawberry :D .. came home checked my email to find that person still hadnt received there item and i still cant find the reciept so refunded my own fault for not looking after my stuff so you live and learn anybody else says owt and i got all the reciept for everything else so :p to them :D ..

    what did i miss? .. i heard on the grape vine i was missed was that because it was too quiet :rotfl: ... although 5-6 pages aint quiet so maybe not :rotfl: ..

    how is everyone else? .. whats the hub? bub :D x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • 3onitsway
    3onitsway Posts: 4,000 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    DLA has sent me a form to get my driving licence renewed with a new photo - I didn't even know the expired, but aparently they only do 10 years, and you have to pay £20 for a new one? I never knew that. It's only £20, so not the end of the world - I'm more worried about going to get some photos done - I hate passport photo machines!

    I knew this - but only because I read something a while ago in the local paper about someone being fined £1000 for his licence being out of date. :eek: He had no idea, and had had no reminder. Mine is next year I think - I should check.


    Workinmummy As others have already said, i'd go with anything pink, glittery, sparkly, Hannah Montana or grown up ish for an 8 year old.


    Baby being taken L was born just before midnight, then we were taken up to the ward, and OH went home. At some point in the early hours, I woke up all confused. I thought i'd dreamt I'd had a baby, and I was wondering what I was doing in hospital. I was walking around the corridors until a nurse found me and asked what I was doing. She had to tell me I had a little girl and they'd taken her to the nursery so I could sleep! :o

    Wetting the babys head :mad: We came home from hospital later on that day, so L was a day old. OH was most annoyed as he'd planned a night out with the boys. He still went, but was kind enough to get J & Me a chippy tea first. (Yet another reason why he's my Ex-OH). ;)

    This time, the lads from work nagged OH to go out to wet V's head. He finally went in November. :) I love that OH isn't one for pubs - he probably goes out 4 times a year.
    :beer:
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    later can i ask advice about money ... i need cold harsh opinions ... its long and i need to do our dinner thats why i said later x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    SugarSpun wrote: »
    Will your OH be more confident to shout up and tell the midwives to follow the birth plan next time? I really did feel that mine was more concerned with what the nurses thought of him/us than my feelings - he was all about speaking to them in German so they'd feel more comfortable, but that came at the expense of my comfort and I felt very much marginalised in my own labour. Then when things went wrong it was just awful because nobody had the time even to explain anything so he was getting all the information he could and then not passing it on.
    I doubt it. (Which is why my current plan is NHS homebirth with a doula.) He's not really a stand up for your rights and make a fuss person and tends to be willing to accept things on the assumption that the other person might be having a bad day etc. He would never out and out declare that someone was incorrect and is always willing to believe that something is his mistake rather than theirs. He also doesn't like to question medical staff who are supposedly the experts as he expects that they would be knowledgable about what is best. (He does however now object when we see real/TV births on TV and they do things like make people lie on their back so I am making progress.) I never would have expected him to have to stand up for me though and if I'd known it to be necessary would have made appropriate arrangements knowing that it isn't something he would feel able to do under normal circumstances never mind when he's all stressed out. I can imagine him doing the German thing though as because he does sometimes have a tendency to be more concerned about other people and not inconveniencing them than about inconveniencing me. I think it's because when he's doing that kind of thing, he's thinking of us as one unit so it's "us" and "them" and so "we" should be nice and accomodating to "them" so he is thinking about how "we" relate to "them" rather than thinking of us both as separate individuals and how what he is doing will affect me IYSWIM.
    Glamazon wrote: »
    In fact I complained about the Parentcraft as a whole because it was dreadful - we were unlucky that the usual MW was on leave when we went and she is fab!
    Ours was rubbish - the only good one was when the usual lady was away and the student did it. The first session she phoned up and told OH we needed to bring a pillow or large cushion. Then the first thing we were supposed to do in the first session was practise labour positions from a sheet. I refused to do it on the grounds that I was wearing a skirt. Next thing we did was fill in a sheet of how much time we spent in a day doing different things and how much time we would spend doing different things once the baby was born. She went on about how bad it was looking after a baby and how bad it is having girls. We then did a couple of other things which I forget the detail of before finishing with a video all about how bad it is for your baby if you are stressed!
    Glamazon wrote: »
    There are lots of people MIA :(:(:(:(
    This explains why I've been managing to keep up recently.
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.