PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Friend just signed contract - but pregnant!

Options
mrstewieo
mrstewieo Posts: 115 Forumite
edited 25 January 2010 at 11:24PM in House buying, renting & selling
My friend has found a lovely 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre, it's her first house with her boyfriend!

They have had SO many problems with it, with being lied about parking etc, but they got all that sorted out.

They gave the money for the deposit, and also paid the first months rent. They started to get things moved in, but my friend has just found out that she is 3 months pregnant - so she needs a 2 bedroom.

It is through a letting agency, and she signed a 6 month tenancy, but the letting agents aren't letting her leave and get the deposit etc, even though she told them she is pregnant and the house isn't big enough

Is there any way she can get out of this? It's too much stress for her
House Fund: £750.00
Wins for 2010: 0 :(

Comments

• iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    mrstewieo wrote: »
    My friend has found a lovely 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre, it's her first house with her boyfriend!

They have had SO many problems with it, with being lied about parking etc, but they got all that sorted out.

They gave the money for the deposit, and also paid the first months rent. They started to get things moved in, but my friend has just found out that she is 3 months pregnant - so she needs a 3 bedroom.

It is through a letting agency, and she signed a 6 month tenancy, but the letting agents aren't letting her leave and get the deposit etc, even though she told them she is pregnant and the house isn't big enough

Is there any way she can get out of this? It's too much stress for her

Why does she suddenly need 3 beds instead of 1? The baby won't be born for 6 months, and can sleep in her room for another 6 months = a year in a 1 bed should be fine ;)

She has no get out from the contract.

Can she even afford a 3 bed?
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • Cissi
    Cissi Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but I don't understand why she "needs" a 3-bed because she's pregnant (if 1 bed was enough before)??? Yes, it might be nice, but "need"?

If she's just found out that she's pregnant then the baby will be due around the time that the 6-month term expires. Most babies sleep in their parents' bedroom initially anyway, so what's the big deal?

In any case they've signed a legally binding contract - that's tough, I'm afraid. The LL is entitled to hold them to it, although they may agree to release them early, but with your friends paying all additional costs until a new tenant can be found.

Edit: crossposted with Iamanalias - snap :D
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Her contract is legally binding. The landlord would not be able to get the property back in the first month of a six month contract by saying they were pregnant and wanted to move back in.

She doesn't need a 3 bed property. Those in social housing don't get allocated a 2 bed property necessarily - baby is supposed to stay with parents or in the living room until its owner.

I'm sure she can manage with a new born in a small property for the small overlap until they find onward accommodation.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The average length of a newborn baby is 20 inches (50cm) and it can't do so much as roll over, it really does NOT require a three bedroom house! How on earth you manage to get to three months PG and not realise?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • mrstewieo
    Options
    I made a mistake, I meant a 2 bedroom.

The flat in the city centre is classed as a studio - basically the bedroom is seperated by a half wall to the living room.

Firefox; she has had alot of problems getting pregnant, and dosent have regular cycles
    House Fund: £750.00
    Wins for 2010: 0 :(
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, but the contract is legally binding and no change in personal circumstances have to be taken into account by the landlord if they do not wish to consent to an early surrender. Check the Shelter website for info on how to end a fixed term tenancy agreement which should verify what the posters here have said.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    In my opinion the sort of woman who believes they suddenly need a three-bedroomed property at only three months preggo is definitely the sort of woman who can't keep track of time and also believes that being preggo suddenly entitles them to not have to keep to a legally-binding contract!;)
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Fire Fox - no idea... I knew when I was 2 weeks gone LOL Possibly something to do with the violent morning sickness :huh:
    As for the space a baby needs... they sleep with you in your bedroom (and this is recommended for safety anyway!) for at least 3 months (or is it 6 they recommend?) We put DD in her nursery at 3 months so that leaves them plenty fo time to find something bigger once the baby has arrived or just before it's due depending on her times and if the baby arrives early etc.

Apparently my parents managed in a small 1 bed till I was a year old... when we moved to a small 2 bed house... :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just going to have to lump it until the contract ends.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As other posters have said I would not worry about it, but use the extra money to save for the baby. 6 months down the line the baby will be born, they can move at that point or stay for a while longer as the baby will be fine in with the parents (again I would not worry about it being a studio as baby will sleep anywhere)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport