PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How easy to get deposit back instead of rent

Options
Hi
I am asking on behalf of someone else bear with me

Tenant receives section 21 during AST
LL says he has to sell the house & fast
Tenant agrees to leave and find another rental
Tenant has no deposit or rent up front for new rental as this is real short notice after a period of redundancy (no rent arrears during tenancy,no HB)
Asked LL can I not pay last 2 months rent (period of section 21) and use this money to get out as requested into a new rental (deposit,1st months rent,etc..)
LL says NO !

Tenant has decided they have no choice as they cannot move without this money
LL says he would be unable to recover the deposit as unpaid rent despite the tenant putting in writing that they will make no claim on the deposit and he should use it as unpaid rent
Not an ideal situation but is he right that the deposit could not be paid to LL ?

They are running out of time & options :(
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes." :cool:

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No.
    If the tenant leaves owing rent the LL will be able to claim this off the deposit.
    When does /did the fixed term run out? Is the tenant agreeing to leave early as a favour to the LL?
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Check the rules of an AST on places like Shelter. If no rent arrears, then the tenant has the upper hand and can't be evicted at such short notice as indicated.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • missymugwump
    Options
    Fixed term does not run out for 5 months they are trying to be fair to the LL

They don't want to stay now its upset them too much the LL wants his cake & eat it :-(
    Thanks for the advice

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January 2010 at 12:17AM
    Options
    A Section 21 cannot be served to end an AST except at the end of the term as agreed. It cannot override the law. Your friends do not have to move out of the property and cannot be coerced or encouraged to do so if they are not in agreement. Therefore they do have the upper hand. If they wanted to be really difficult they could choose to remain in the property but to withhold the rent. In that case the landlord could issue them with a notice to quit but can only do so once the tenants are eight weeks in arrears. If they don't leave then the landlord will have to go to court to get a possession order. This could take another month. Once the landlord has a possession order if your friends do not leave then, the landlord will have to instruct bailiffs. This could take more time. By the time all this has transpired your friends should have saved enough to cover a new deposit and a month or twos rent in advance. But all this will certainly compromise your friend's ability to get a reference which they might need from their new landlord.

Your friend should concentrate on the fact that they do have the upper hand here. If they agree to end the AST by mutual agreement I think the landlord should be compensating your friend with cash. The equivalent of two months rent and a deposit would be fair in my opinion.

It would be perfectly easy for the landlord to dispute the lodged deposit by the amount of two months rent. It's perfectly simple. The landlord is either mistaken or being completely untruthful.

It is my firm belief given the information supplied that the landlord is desperate to receive the rental income to pay mortgage arrears and is staving off repossession like his life depended on it. In which case they will be facing eviction quite soon any way. Lenders when repossessing do not acknowledge tenancy agreements
  • missymugwump
    Options
    Thanks for that I have passed the info on :T

• N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    It is not clear from your post but out of interest how big is the deposit compared to the rent?
  • missymugwump
    missymugwump Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    They have offered a chq which when added to the deposit equals the two months rent that would be outstanding
    so LL would recover full rent
    LL has returned chq and said no pay in full I will return deposit after you leave

I have told them to stick to there guns and send the chq again with the keys special delivery once they have left

Deposit was protected and info given to them within a month of moving in

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just tell the LL that without the deposit we can't move - So we'll return to keys and property to you in 5 months - have a nice day.
    His financial problems are NOT theirs :) (ok if the house is repossessed it's an issue but that doesn't happen over night :))
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Landlord is desperate for cash-flow most probably to fund selling expenses before repossession takes place.

They should stick to their guns but must accept there is a risk that LL might behave unpredictably if he doesn't get what he wants when he wants it. If they haven't changed the barrels on the locks of all external doors I would recommend they do that immediately to protect themselves and their possessions just in case.
  • missymugwump
    missymugwump Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    Already did that the day the section 21 came just in case
    Daughter says she heard someone trying a key in the appt the door yesterday as it's an upstairs appartment and you either have to have a key for the main door or be buzzed in (there are only 4 other appartments and the other 3 residents were all at work yesterday day so no one could have let whoever it was in) she thinks it was the letting agents as she saw one of there cars outside

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure