smoking delivery driver

Options
13»

Comments

• giantmutantbroccoli
    Options
    @lolly1981 - Yes, I agree. I still smoke occasionally (used to a lot more) but I wouldn't do it at the door to someone else's house.
    Im glad the smoking ban came in (many years too late) but we now have all these sad, wrinkled faced addicts outside pubs stinking up the street.
    Time it was banned altogether.

I'm all for not causing other people health problems, but if I choose to do something stupid with my OWN life - whether it's smoking, bungee jumping, eating deep-fried lard burgers, lion taming, driving in icy conditions or drinking until the internet makes sense - I don't see how it's anyone else's business. If you want to do whatever, that's fine. If I want to smoke outside, where the effect of any passive smoke is far, far less than that of all the traffic going past, that should also be fine.
    Oh noes, you had to see a person smoking outside! I have to look at those tangerine coloured lambrini drinking tweeniebopper alcoholics when I go on a night out, maybe someone should do something about them first? Or perhaps they could get rid of people who do their coursework in starbucks, I hate looking at them too.
    :coffee:Coffee +3 Dexterity +3 Willpower -1 Ability to Sleep

Playing too many computer games may be bad for your attention span but it Critical Hit!
  • raebhoop
    raebhoop Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    Options
    Good idea gibby...

Ban smoking all together...we could call it prohibition...good idea,that's bound to work.
  • codwidow
    codwidow Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    Its minging and rude.

I used to smoke and I miss smoking :( I chose to give up because its bad for you and it stinks, I dont expect anyone in my garden or at my door to smoke because its rude, when I smoked I wouldnt knock on someone's door with a fag on, you just dont do you.....

Surely he could have just waited for a fag, I wouldnt be impressed.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    Options
    You think thats bad, we have had council builders in fitting a new kitchen and bathroom and we had to sign a contract saying we wouldnt smoke in our own home whilst they were there, because they would refuse to work!! cheeky beggers.

They didnt turn down my offer of a joint though, strange people.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    FatAndy wrote: »
    I don't know the full law on this but I'd guess even if he owned the van himself it would still be considered to be his workplace? If you smoke in your car while you're driving to work that clearly isn't smoking in the workplace so you'd be ok, legally at least.

Perhaps with more knowledge of the law can clear this up?

In the meantime here's some interesting reading - http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/?cat=43

Car is for my personal/work use, no other colleagues use it. I have my 10 minute break in the car. When I have the use of the work van I smoke outside on the street.

Anyway back on subject. I too would complain about him having a cigarette on your property, albeit at the front door. Yes you are right and it's downright rude!

And that's from a smoker who does deliveries. My car is the only place I smoke indoors. Outside at home, in the car when i'm alone with the windows open.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,205 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    FatAndy, I think that depends if it's a company van or his own van. I use my personal vehicle for work, and I am totally within my rights to smoke in it. However, I would never enter anyone's property with a fag hanging out my mouth. I sit in my car, have my break with the windows open and enjoy my smoke.

This is correct ... but if you carry work colleagues, then you are not allowed to smoke in it ... & need to put no smoking signs ...

See: http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/files/everything_u_need_new_sf_law_accessible.pdf page 9 onwards

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,205 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »
    This is correct ... but if you carry work colleagues, then you are not allowed to smoke in it ... & need to put no smoking signs ...

See: http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/files/everything_u_need_new_sf_law_accessible.pdf page 9 onwards

Mark
    Ahhh ... should have read whole thread before answering, as this has been answered about 3 times already!! :eek:

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • hattiefats
    Options
    He shouldn't have smoked but if he was pleasant in every other way I'd let it go. It is rude mind you, think you are entitled to a little whinge though. Thats what this board is for!
    TRYING VERY HARD TO START SAVING!
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
    Sealed Pot Challenge 4 no:1079!!!!! Target £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills