smoking delivery driver

Options

Comments

• BligBlag
    BligBlag Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    I would definitely complain. Really bad manners for the delivery man. It annoys me when you answer the door and they just shove the package towards you and the thing to sign because they're yabbering on the phone... but smoking at your door... that's not on.

FatAndy, my mother is a heavy smoker (smoked when she was pregnant with me) and I have developed really bad asthma... but she refuses to give up, despite the doctor saying I shouldn't be around smoke... I wake up every day wheezy and have to take 2 different inhalers and tablets... I know it's the smoking because whenever she goes away I'm fine... *wishes I could move out*

Torby, I'm so glad you can't smoke in restaurants anymore. It really ticked me off that (for example) a couple sitting next to you would sit there eating their dinner all nicely, then as soon as they finished they'd both light up... and oh look, that's when your food shows up, so you have to eat breathing in all their smoke. Urgh yuck!
  • lolly1981
    lolly1981 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    because i dont like confrontation...plus i was a woman on my own....people can get agressive over the littlest of things (not saying that wouldve happened) and i dont want to put myself at risk.

i too am glad that you are no longer aloud to smoke in restaurants or even pubs and clubs for that matter :D
  • lolly1981
    Options
    i'm not getting worked up about it i was just asking if people thought i was bad manners...i was having a little vent!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rude person, complain about him as I doubt he is allowed to smoke at people's doors!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• raebhoop
    raebhoop Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    Options
    closed wrote: »
    Just about every reaction sofar has been, complain behind his back, get him into trouble, he's breaking the law (he isn't, he was outside). I'm giving an alternative view, cut some slack, he was polite, you're alive, your goods arrived in one piece, the smell has gone, no harm done, not worth a moments thought really etc etc.

Ditto....

Like I said,impolite....but not worth stirring the S*** over.
  • giantmutantbroccoli
    Options
    edited to add im as the title says :)...this may seem quite petty to some but to me i think this is bad manners.

i have just had a package delivered...the delivery driver was nice enough but he was standing there with a cigarette in his mouth....i had to sign for the package so he was stod there a while.
    i have never smoked (not even tried it) my OH doesnt smoke and noone smokes in our home...i cant stand the smell and the thought of breathing the smoke in. the smell was still lingering after 5 mins even tho id shut the door...yes its silly thing to moan about but i was really quite annoyed by it!

does anyone else think its bad manners or just me? :D

edited to add...im glad it wasnt a food delivery then i wouldve been really annoyed! lol

You're right, it is petty. If it bothered you you should have politely mentioned so at the time. You could have asked him to finish his cigarette first, before he came over. If he asked why, you could have given him some b/s about being asthmatic, or you could have just said you don't like it! However, given that you didn't say anything and the only thing you're really complaining about is the smell I don't see the point. You were both outside, you're not going to notice a passive smoking effect. It's no worse than you'd get walking past someone stood outside a pub. Maybe it's a bit impolite but I imagine the guy just didn't think about it - probably he's been a delivery driver since well before smokers became the new lepers. The only thing you could do would be to report him to the company, which would almost certainly get him into trouble, and no one stands to gain from that. So why would you bother?
    Unless you're just having a moan, in which case I agree with you, it was a pretty unprofessional and he shouldn't have been smoking at your door.
    :coffee:Coffee +3 Dexterity +3 Willpower -1 Ability to Sleep

Playing too many computer games may be bad for your attention span but it Critical Hit!
  • gibby
    gibby Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    You could have rejected the goods.
    If a driver is smoking in a van it means the smoke is getting into the goods & can make clothes & foods stink.

Any professional courier firm will have banned this & I wouldn't accept goods from someone I saw smoking.

To some it might be petty but many of us have asthma or chest issues and coming into contact with light fag smoke can cost me few days off work.

Im glad the smoking ban came in (many years too late) but we now have all these sad, wrinkled faced addicts outside pubs stinking up the street.
    Time it was banned altogether.

G
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • lolly1981
    Options
    i am just having a moan lol...i wasnt intendting to complain but i do think its rude really :) and was just seeing if others agreed!
  • squack
    squack Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    we have a cat that used to smell of fags. he's ok now. nice cat.
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! :money:
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    cant decide which side I am on here! as a smoker, If I was driving my own car to deliver parcels then I am entitled to smoke in it! would i have a fag in my mouth when actually ringing the doorbell? no, because for one thing I would have a parcel in one hand and a clipboard for form to be signed in the other! also, I am aware that other people consider smokers to be worse than serial killers and child molesters.
    out of respect for the customer i wouldnt go to their door with a ciggy in hand or mouth.
    but neither would I report someone who came to MY door while smoking. If they were rude, delivered the wrong parcel, had opened the said parcel - then yes report them.
    you suffered passive smoking for a few minutes, annoying but not worth ending this guys employment for I dont think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport