smoking delivery driver

Options
edited to add im as the title says :)...this may seem quite petty to some but to me i think this is bad manners.

i have just had a package delivered...the delivery driver was nice enough but he was standing there with a cigarette in his mouth....i had to sign for the package so he was stod there a while.
i have never smoked (not even tried it) my OH doesnt smoke and noone smokes in our home...i cant stand the smell and the thought of breathing the smoke in. the smell was still lingering after 5 mins even tho id shut the door...yes its silly thing to moan about but i was really quite annoyed by it!

does anyone else think its bad manners or just me? :D

edited to add...im glad it wasnt a food delivery then i wouldve been really annoyed! lol

Comments

• voiceofreason
    Options
    Call the company up and tell them about it - crap customer service, this.
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Options
    If he's smoking in his van he is committing an offence, i.e. smoking in the workplace. There have been several cases in my area of taxi drivers, delivery drivers, etc being fined for this. Maybe the driver was aware of this and that's why he decided to sneak in a quick whilst walking from his van to your door!

Personally I agree that you're right to be angry. My daughter has a friend whose mother is a heavy smoker. Whenever she comes to our house to play with my daughter the house ends up stinking of fags. We can't really say anything, you can't ban a nine year old from entering your house because she smells, especially when it isn't her fault, but it isn't pleasant. I can't imagine what does, or more the point doesn't, go through the mind of that poor girl's mother when she's lighting up fag after fag after fag.
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    FatAndy, I think that depends if it's a company van or his own van. I use my personal vehicle for work, and I am totally within my rights to smoke in it. However, I would never enter anyone's property with a fag hanging out my mouth. I sit in my car, have my break with the windows open and enjoy my smoke.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • FatAndy
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    FatAndy, I think that depends if it's a company van or his own van. I use my personal vehicle for work, and I am totally within my rights to smoke in it. However, I would never enter anyone's property with a fag hanging out my mouth. I sit in my car, have my break with the windows open and enjoy my smoke.

I don't know the full law on this but I'd guess even if he owned the van himself it would still be considered to be his workplace? If you smoke in your car while you're driving to work that clearly isn't smoking in the workplace so you'd be ok, legally at least.

Perhaps with more knowledge of the law can clear this up?

In the meantime here's some interesting reading - http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/?cat=43
  • FatAndy
    Options
    Looks like it's OK to smoke if you have sole use of the vehicle -

http://www.walsall.gov.uk/smoking_in_vehicles.htm
  • Torby
    Torby Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    get your own back....when he's waiting for you to sign....burp in his face and fart

best ever I heard was in the "old days" when people could smoke in restaurants .... because it was their right...a friend who doesn't smoke devised the technique of sitting facing them when they were smoking as he ate....then when they ate....he would make noises and when they looked at him....he made a real production of picking his nose....definitely put them off their food....why did he pick his nose? ... because it was his right...
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the car/van his is own and he is the sole user he is entitled to smoke inside it. If its a company van or its used by other members of staff its considered a work place and your legally not allowed to smoke in it.

As already emntioned call the delivery company and tell them, wheter he is or isn't legally allowed to smoke in the van he shouldn't have come to your door smoking, its just plain rude. I smoke and I go out to customers but I certainly wouldn't smoke around any customers.
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • raebhoop
    raebhoop Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    Options
    It's impolite when serving a customer but....there are more important things to worry about than New labours petty laws.
  • lolly1981
    lolly1981 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    for me it wasnt about petty laws....its about the fact that i do not smoke because i choose not too so i do not appreciate someone who is there to do a job smoking on my doorstep :D

i would complain to the company if only i knew who the courier comany was lol
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lolly1981 wrote: »
    for me it wasnt about petty laws....its about the fact that i do not smoke because i choose not too so i do not appreciate someone who is there to do a job smoking on my doorstep :D

i would complain to the company if only i knew who the courier comany was lol

Contact who ever you bought the goods off and ask them which courier they used.
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure