Problem after Wallpaper removal

Options
Hi All,

I've just purchased a new house and decided take off the wallpaper. The previous owners had the style where one wall in each room has a colourful wallpaper and the rest of the walls are painted. So I recently purchased a steam machine and managed to take off the wallpaper with relative ease. However, for some of the walls whilst taking off the paper it has also removed the original paint on the walls. On other areas the paint has stayed on so I have large areas on the wall where there is no paint and other areas where the original paint is still on the wall. I have tried to steam the paint to scrape it off but it doesnt come off at all and slightly damages the wall which is chipboard.

Any ideas on how i can take the paint off without damaging the wall? If i paint the whole wall i will get an unevened effect which i dont want. Scraping the paint off dry is an option but that would take a very long time. Skimming is also an option.

Thanks in advance

S.

Comments

• Plasterer
    Plasterer Posts: 819 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I've just purchased a new house and decided take off the wallpaper. The previous owners had the style where one wall in each room has a colourful wallpaper and the rest of the walls are painted. So I recently purchased a steam machine and managed to take off the wallpaper with relative ease. However, for some of the walls whilst taking off the paper it has also removed the original paint on the walls. On other areas the paint has stayed on so I have large areas on the wall where there is no paint and other areas where the original paint is still on the wall. I have tried to steam the paint to scrape it off but it doesnt come off at all and slightly damages the wall which is chipboard.

Any ideas on how i can take the paint off without damaging the wall? If i paint the whole wall i will get an unevened effect which i dont want. Scraping the paint off dry is an option but that would take a very long time. Skimming is also an option.

Thanks in advance

S.

Get it skimmed, do you have any other area that need plastering? eg. artex ceiling overskimmed? I only ask this because skimming one wall is not a full days work. You might find it difficult to find a plasterer that will work half day as he/she might not be able to get to another job that day.
    Get your full days moneys worth if you can
    Time served plasterers wage between £150/£200 day depending where you are in the country.
    Hope this helps
    P
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    you could do what i am doing to the office room....

if the paint in most places is on good nick, then leave it... if its damanged in some areas then peel of the worst and give the area effected area a quick likc of paint and let it dry - i did this and stopped any more from peeling...

then sand all the walls using medium sand paper to flatten any bumps and to remove the shine from the old paint, get some thick lining paper - i used 1000 grade B&Q stuff

pop that up and let it dry for 48hrs.... then start painting - giving the paint 24hrs to dry before doing another coat... again leave it to dry for 24hrs before adding more.........

the result looks quite good and the lining paper hides most of the imperfections in the wall!
  • santiagobravo
    Options
    thanks Plasterer and SplanK

I have three walls which need fixing. One will definitely need skimmed. The second could do with lining paper and the third wall im not sure about. I think i might get a plaster to do all three depending on the price.
  • Plasterer
    Options
    thanks Plasterer and SplanK

I have three walls which need fixing. One will definitely need skimmed. The second could do with lining paper and the third wall im not sure about. I think i might get a plaster to do all three depending on the price.
    How big are the walls?
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    I'm really having difficulty with the concept of skimming over chipboard!!

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • zebidee1
    zebidee1 Posts: 991 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    I'm really having difficulty with the concept of skimming over chipboard!!

Cheers

Maybe he meant plasterboard? :confused:

Got the same problem here but I'm just going to rip the p/b off and use it as an opportunity to insulate behind it as the room has 2 external walls and is always cold. New plasterboard and some careful taping & filling and the finish will be smooth enough for paint.
  • Plasterer
    edited 20 January 2010 at 7:08PM
    Options
    KEYSTONE

Well spotted (Did'nt read it properly) :o Are you sure the walls made of chipboard? not plasterboard? Iv'e come across plenty of walls that are assembled with chipboard (for strength) then plasterboarded over the top. Also in industrial premises I have seen chipboard walls but not as a finished wall in a house.:eek:
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    zebidee1 wrote: »
    Maybe he did but that ain't what he wrote!
    ...........but it doesnt come off at all and slightly damages the wall which is chipboard.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Plasterer
    Options
    zebidee1 wrote: »

Got the same problem here but I'm just going to rip the p/b off and use it as an opportunity to insulate behind it as the room has 2 external walls and is always cold. New plasterboard and some careful taping & filling and the finish will be smooth enough for paint.
    Don't forget to get tapered edge boards (I know this is an obvious, but I have seen people tape and joint flush boards - Blummin hilarious)
  • zebidee1
    zebidee1 Posts: 991 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Maybe he did but that ain't what he wrote!

I know that, I was only offering you a possible theory!
    Plasterer wrote: »
    Don't forget to get tapered edge boards (I know this is an obvious, but I have seen people tape and joint flush boards - Blummin hilarious)

Cheers. Have done this before so know what I'm doing but appreciate the advice anyway, it might help others. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure